User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to help with the new AG site?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    54.16%

Re: Want to help with the new AG site?

Is there a formal application process for this, or do people basically just say "I'm in!" and we hope for the best?

I was all for the AGN news team idea a few months back, but of course nobody was interested in actually taking charge or heaven forbid, letting someone who actually wanted to take charge, take charge. But since you're backing it publicly, I'm willing to throw my name into the hat.

Do you have any suggestions as to what sort of columns you'd like to see? After all, simply letting us loose on the entire body of the NES and SNES library is dangerously vague. Such a lack of direction is a sure alibi for apathy and procrastination.

Not only that, but isn't it difficult to review games for old systems without the use and endorsement of roms? It doesn't bother me personally, but it's always seemed to me that AGN has had something of an anti-rom policy. If you're okay with it, and the only uncrossable line is actually linking to files, disregard this paragraph.

I have some doubts, I'll admit, though they're mostly based on the failed attempts of the past. As I said before, if you're backing it this time, I'm willing to put a little faith into the project. Count me in.

Hero For Hire

Quality Heroics At Affordable Prices!
    -Perfect For All Occasions, Including Office Parties
    -Prices Halved For Qualifying Maidens
    -Accepts All Major Credit Cards
    -We Now Handle Giant Bats And Snakes!
    -Zombie Proof Your Home For Free With Purchase Of Any Service Package

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.08%

Quote Originally Posted by {DSG}DarkRaven View Post
    Not only that, but isn't it difficult to review games for old systems without the use and endorsement of roms? It doesn't bother me personally, but it's always seemed to me that AGN has had something of an anti-rom policy. If you're okay with it, and the only uncrossable line is actually linking to files, disregard this paragraph.
    AGN never have and never will give or share ROMs nor will they allow there members to use AGN services to do so... but getting ROMs yourself with no direction from AGN is done at your own risk.

or something like that...

why would AGN have to endorse the use of ROMs?
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    54.16%

Quote Originally Posted by franpa
    why would AGN have to endorse the use of ROMs?

How else would we go about reviewing anything but the most popular NES games, which are most likely the ones (if any) that people will still have on hand? Reviewing games requires playing them. Playing them requires owning them or having access to the rom.

For instance, I could review Crystalis, a curious action RPG for the NES, but unless I scour e-bay at the right time and pay a ridiculous price, I'm stuck playing the rom. And pretty much nobody is going to pay $50+ for some old NES cart that may or may not be good in order to review it for AGN.

It was just a minor concern, anyway.

Hero For Hire

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.69%

Quote Originally Posted by {DSG}DarkRaven View Post
    How else would we go about reviewing anything but the most popular NES games, which are most likely the ones (if any) that people will still have on hand? Reviewing games requires playing them. Playing them requires owning them or having access to the rom.

For instance, I could review Crystalis, a curious action RPG for the NES, but unless I scour e-bay at the right time and pay a ridiculous price, I'm stuck playing the rom. And pretty much nobody is going to pay $50+ for some old NES cart that may or may not be good in order to review it for AGN.

It was just a minor concern, anyway.
    I own Crystalis. Got it back when it was brand new for NES.

I always understood that linking and asking for ROMs was the only thing against the rules. It seems like playing games on emulators has always been talked about, maybe not endorsed but, not against the rules. I may be wrong but, I don't see anything wrong with doing reviews using ROMs, even if we don't endorse them. Its done all the time at other websites without any legal reprocussions, even on more obscure games that aren't really available to buy.
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.35%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

A few questions and ideas to add to the table, if I may?

Q: How will this review process work? Will there be separate forums to post in which will be automatically transferred News-Style to the frontpage?

Q: Will it work randomly, or will there be a set series of games that need to be reviewed? I take it it's far from random, as the systems are already old as .. well, the NES eras. :p Because otherwise there's not much actual motivation to post a review about them unless you had just played it and were either very excited about it or very disappointed about it.

S(uggestion): In order to get more reviews, rather than assigning certain people to be on the review team, why not allow the whole forum to be able to write a review? There would certainly be more of them, due to the increased variety of people playing old games and being able to post a review. Thing is, you may want to put a "Moderators Preview" on it so you don't get any funky reviews (Or Spambots. O.o ) on it. :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.27%

I know by now I am gonna sound like an old broken machine for bringing this up again but nobody seems to care that the Zelda Classic questdatabase is already almost a year out of order , in that time a few real good custom quests are released and you can't even get them here on the world main ZC board , maybe thats more interesting for the people here then reviews on old Nes snes and whatever games .
    First fix whats broken before you come up with all the other stuff

War Lord

On the contrary I do care, and have a few things in the works to take care of the issue.

Appreciate the concern though.

Q: How will this review process work? Will there be separate forums to post in which will be automatically transferred News-Style to the frontpage?

Q: Will it work randomly, or will there be a set series of games that need to be reviewed? I take it it's far from random, as the systems are already old as .. well, the NES eras. :p Because otherwise there's not much actual motivation to post a review about them unless you had just played it and were either very excited about it or very disappointed about it.

S(uggestion): In order to get more reviews, rather than assigning certain people to be on the review team, why not allow the whole forum to be able to write a review? There would certainly be more of them, due to the increased variety of people playing old games and being able to post a review. Thing is, you may want to put a "Moderators Preview" on it so you don't get any funky reviews (Or Spambots. O.o ) on it. :p
    I like the idea of allowing anyone to submit, but make them be reviewed, and I believe that is the way I'm going to go.
    Disregard sending me PMs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    54.16%

Okay. Anyone can write, all submissions are reviewed. Sounds fine. I wrote up a review this morning. Who do I submit it to?

Hero For Hire

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.87%

Quote Originally Posted by War Lord
    I like the idea of allowing anyone to submit, but make them be reviewed, and I believe that is the way I'm going to go.
    Disregard sending me PMs.
    This sounds pretty cool. If you are looking for people to review submissions I would be interested in helping out with that. I'd like to give a little back to this site somehow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.07%

Are we restricted to game reviews? I mean, I could(and would like to) write a column/articles on other topics.

Thread Information