User Tag List

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm going to be re-jiggering the custom enemy system...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    87.09%

Re: I'm going to be re-jiggering the custom enemy system...

Quote Originally Posted by _L_ View Post
    (P.S: Another thing I've done is eliminate the "Rope 2 doesn't flash", "Bubble doesn't flash" and "1.90-style Tribbles" quest rules. For all quests where such rules were set, the appropriate changes will be made to their enemies.)
    I don't like this at all. It will make it more difficult for people who want that behavior but don't want to edit enemies. I'm all for adding new features like the enemy editor, but please don't take away features.

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.6%

Whattaya mean, "people who don't want to edit enemies"? It isn't programming, it's a checkbox labelled "Is Flashing" in the editor. Next you'll be telling me that I shouldn't remove* the "Starts with 999 rupees" quest rule because some people don't want to use the Init Data box.

(At the worst, there will be two-step tutorials for these things!)

*Retaining backwards-compatability, of course!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.08%

YAY, now my rope 2's that look like non-flashing rats will NOW FLASH NOW! OMEG, Super radiation exposed rats that flash because I can't do a friggin thing via quest rules that are taken out and we are forced to use the enemy editor to fix things!
    "If anybody says him/her/it without defining what they're talking about, the conversation is automatically about my p.e.n.i.s. :-D" - Wild Bill
    "Design ideas come to me during fetid fits of masturbation." - C-Dawg
    "I want to give NoeL a blowjob! ^_^" - Peteo
    "The magic boob should be mine any minute!" - Koopa
    "Suicide is the most sincere form of self-criticism" - My Film Professor

Ultimate Prankster Lucario QDB Manager
    Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.81%

_L_, leave the quest rules IN. You're making everyone angry at you. AGAIN. I could care less about where I have to edit that for the enemies, but please, for the sake of everyone here, LEAVE THE QUEST RULES IN, but also put in those checkboxes. Let me give you an example of what the rules could instead do:

These rules would instead simply auto-check the boxes for the enemies the rule apply to. They could uncheck it at will (So they could have enemies that apply to the rules go against the rules and those that go with them, like having Ropes that flash and those that don't), but if the rule was off, they'd have to MANUALLY check the enemies' checkboxes for the rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    25.99%

Geez. It takes all of 10-30 seconds to open an enemies data and check a chck box. You can do ten of them in, like, five minuites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    87.74%

It would be nice to get the enemy editor working 100% before taking out any quest rules. *sigh*
    --------------------
    "GET a stable version, THEN add more with the builds, DON'T just keep adding bloat to something that doesn't work already.
    Has common sense just left the building, or what?" -Freedom

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.31%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

I'm sure there's some sort of logic in _L_'s actions that is inherently difficult for people to see. Very understandable, really, ... I'm having some trouble seeing the rationality behind them myself, but I think I'm at least a little closer than I would've hoped to seeing it.

Okay. While _L_ just said that backwards compatibility would be maintained, (Which I assume would be accomplished through having a checkbox automatically checked in the enemy editor for those select enemies, similar to how some quest rules were automatically checked when you opened up the rules pages.) so you wouldn't have to worry about that, as it'd take the status from your quest in its previous beta / version of ZC and compare it to its status in the enemy editor, and maintain the toggled state between both. So you really wouldn't need these quest rules at all, as you're basically having more control over what the quest rules exhibited, but in a somewhat less IN YOUR FACE way.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to fantasize about making a stone golem that moves at half the rate of a darknut but has six times the hit points. <3

I SERIOUSLY wish we could alter knockback though. =/ I mean if you slash your sword through goo, (Zol/Gel) it does not get pushed back. > <.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.63%

It really isn't that big of a deal to edit behaviors such as rope 2 flashing in the editor, provied there is a part of the tutorial that explains how it is done. I think getting rid of some of the obsolete quest rules can help cut that page down from 8 pages of rules.

Although Petoe does make a good point as well.

Developer
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.05%

Personally, I hate the quest rule system so anything that'll force people to stray away from that is okay in my book. I do worry about backwards-compatibility though.
    AGN's Resident Zelda Classic Developer and Sonic the Hedgehog Fanboy

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    77.86%

Instead of having misc. attributes, can we get rid of them altogether & replace them with drop down menus? It'd be almost like the flags--a giant list of drop down properties, perhaps even a couple pages of them.

Take the 'Bubble' property for example. Instead of choosing Bubble type & then putting in a 0, 1, or 2 for temporary, perminent, or remove jinx, there would be the word "Jinx:" followed by a drop-down menu with the following options:
    -Temporary Jinx
    -Perminent Jinx
    -Remove Jinx

Other properties & their available options could be:

Attack Type: a. Normal b. Trail c. Constant d. Triple weapon e. quadruple f. 8-Way g. Stream

Jinx Type: a. None b. Sword c. Item d. Drunk e. Sword & Drunk f. Item & drunk g. Sword & Item h. All

Take Rupees--this would be a box with up to 3 digits in them (so a max of 999) and you put in a number from 0 to 999. If 0, then this enemy takes no rupees--this way, it can take rupees in addition to doing a jinx.

Take Magic--similar to above, you enter in amount of magic & that's how much it takes. Perhaps only ranges from 0 to 9. This way, an enemy can take rupees, magic, & jinx you all at once!

Suicide Attack: a. Split on Damage b. Split on Death c. 8-way weapon upon Death

Enemy Splits Into: This would be followed by a small text field to enter in an enemy I.D. of the enemy to split into (as in tribbles)

Copies: Enter in a number from 1 to 9--this is how many copies of the above enemy this enemy splits into.

I think you get my drift by now--my point is that all these options are feasible with drop down, or text-field menus so that you don't have to memorize what each misc. attribute does.
    My Zquest Tutorial
    tutorial document

Working on a quest, I swear i'll finally finish one, one of these days!

--Overworld: 60% done
    --Dungeons: 0% done
    --Misc: 0% done

Thread Information