Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.07%

Re: 2x2 Link: too buggy to retain?

Yeah, only problem with that is that at this point, we can't afford any new features that are too buggy, and that one just screams "FATAL BUG HIDDEN IN ME SOMEWHERE". Good Idea, tho.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.77%

Quote Originally Posted by Amaster42 View Post
    NO! Please, I beg of you keep sideview gravity. You all get to say your "Keep 2x2 Link, I'll use it and not sideview gravity", well, now I'm saying "Keep sideview gravity, I'll use it and not 2x2 link"
    Ultimately I agree with what you're saying, because not all ZC features work well together. The Ladder and the Flippers, for instance, are really awkward when used on the same screen, no matter HOW they are programmed. As long as it doesn't crash ZC, however, the choice of how to use the two items can be left up to the questmakers.

However, the dev team in general wants us, the fan community, to be more accepting of the fact that buggy features often have to be cut and set aside for later, if we want a stable release to come. My statement/suggestion was just a demonstration that some of us can cope with that just fine! :)

When it comes to side-view vs. Big Link, however, I think the most stable feature, the one that needs to stay, is Big Link. Since the Roc's Feather can function without side-view, and side-view is still only PARTIALLY functional (and needs tons more work), cutting it from version 2.5 would be reasonable.
    ...but then, I've been eating paste all morning, so what do I know?

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%

This is only a week old, so I don't believe that counts as grave-digging.
    I just wanted to add one last point.

What if quest makers want a 2x2 Link to be able to walk under a combo like that?
    For example, I'm making a quest that relies heavily on both sideview gravity and a 2x2 Link (In fact, those are the biggest features I've been working with). I create a walking instance like the one _L_ mocked up for us. Now normally you would think this is awkward, because you initially picture Link's head moving through a wall. But what if the 'floating' combo is the porch of a house, which can be walked past (Stepping under) or walked on (Stepping over). In this case, the walkability 'glitch' works both functionally and effectively, creating a three-dimensional effect and another venue for creativity.

So the point is, it's all up to the quest maker.

Another Note: Buggy features that were not cut while undergoing repairs:
    BS Zelda Movement
    Triforce Pieces (1.92 Beta 187)
    The Map
    and Continue locations just to name a few.

To wrap it all up, I just have to say that this isn't a bug. Oh, and:
    Quote Originally Posted by _L_
    No, you don't understand.

See figure 1, attached. What should happen when Link, in sideview, walks to the right?

What if the solid combo was a damage combo? Or a warp combo?

In my conception of what the Big Link feature is, the point of Big Link is to make him appear taller. So it seems contradictory that his added tallness isn't taken into account when in sideview.

Well, since everybody seems awfully insistent on retaining Big Link, I guess the only recourse (apart from going in and making all of the changes necessary to make a tall Link interact with combos in that way) is to greatly encourage questmakers to make two-tiles-tall Link mutually exclusive with sideview (despite the fact that it would have much of an "ignore the man behind the curtain" aspect to it).

Thanks for your input!
    The feature is no longer being removed. This thread should be closed.
    I'm an author. If you're interested in checking out my works, you can find them on Amazon.com:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.16%

Quote Originally Posted by Questions View Post
    Why not just add a check box to activate Big Link Hitbox while in Sideview areas only?
    It seems everyone ignored this post

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%

Hmm.... but that only solves the problem for 1x1 Link.

Currently, the small hitbox is only a 8x16 pixel box at Link's feet. The large hitbox is 16x16... which would make a 1x1 Link hit his head on the ceiling instead of passing halfway into it.

...Actually, that would work! If you allow the player to select both a small and a large hitbox style, and using a quest rule (Or screen flag, but quest rule would work better) make the 'large' hitbox apply in sideview gravity, it would fix all the bizarre walkability bugs _L_ was talking about!

Potential 'Small' hit box options:
    • 8x16 pixel hitbox (Current small hitbox)
    • 16x16 pixel hitbox (Current large hitbox)
    • 32x32 pixel hitbox (2 by 2 combo hitbox)

Potential 'Large' hitbox options:
    • 16x16 pixel hitbox (Current large hitbox)
    • 32x16 pixel hitbox (2 combo tall hitbox)
    • 32x32 pixel hitbox (2 by 2 combo hitbox)

The large hitbox would not be used unless the 'Sideview->Large Hitbox' quest flag (or 'Large Hitbox' screenflag) is active.

So... what do you think? Could it work? I realize the options create the potential for a questmaker to make Link's hitbox smaller using the rule/flag, but that's a matter of preference and not functionality.
    I'm an author. If you're interested in checking out my works, you can find them on Amazon.com:

Thread Information