Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.24%

Interactive Element Conventions

Since NeoFirst has multiple authors, it'd be for the best if we assigned some conventions concerning the use of certain tiles, combos and flags, to ensure internal consistency (I don't want one cave area using crystals as boomerang switches, and another cave using them as strike switches) and also to ensure that each element uses different tiles.

• Strike Switch: Crystal Switch (tile 32510 or 32530)
    • Arrow Switch: Wall Eye (tile 32691 or 32692)
    • Boomerang Switch: Windmill (no tile yet)
    • Hookshot Switch: Cogwheel (no tile yet)
    • Hammer Switch: Immovable floor switch (tile 32574)
    • Locked Chest: Silver chest (tile 32700)
    • Boss-Locked Chest: Gold chest (tile 32702)
    • Large Locked Chest: Silver-rimmed 2x2 Chest (tile 32704)
    • Large Boss-Locked Chest: Gold-rimmed 2x2 Chest (tile 32706)

I will modify the currently submitted cave areas such that they adhere to these conventions.

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.16%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Re: Interactive Element Conventions

Ah, thanks for this list. :) I think we're pretty good so far. I'll run through the quest to see what's accurate to the list so far.

Actually, I should probably draw one of those "Rusted" buttons, similar to OoT's Fire Temple for the Hammer Switch. Might be better than what we currently have for it.

As for the chests though, I'm a bit divided. While it's certainly possible to use only a single type of chest, as per the Zelda games, I also feel that they could have done more with them, in a realistic sense. For example, what can you possibly trigger with an arrow? (Again, realistically, I mean.) The Strike Switch (Also From OoT.) is perfect for just about anything, but what would a boomerang trigger? A hookshot? A bomb? They all have their own unique, realistic set.

A chest, however, can contain anything. You can hide gold or a key just as well in a wooden crate or in a spiked golden chest. It's not physically impossible to store a boss key in a crate. Is it EXPECTED to store a boss key in a special chest? Sure. But do you NEED to? No. For the game's sake, and for the legend's sake, we should keep the boss keys in these large chests wherever possible, but things like keys don't have to go in silver chests, nor do you have to keep a large key padlock on a golden chest. You can put one on a silver chest just as well.

NeoFirst isn't going to tell everyone what they should and should not be doing with a Zelda quest. While it does set a certain standard relative to its features, it shouldn't define them. People should know that they can use whatever they want for whatever function they want.

But sure, for simplicity's sake, we can use these.

So do you have any special plans for tiles 32680 and 32682 and 32720? (Three normal 1x1 chests. Latter is green.) Oh, BTW, take a look at tiles 16430 and 16610. Note their various opening mechanisms. The latter has a padlock on it, whereas these small chests in the list don't. Thoughts?

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.24%

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTiger View Post
    So do you have any special plans for tiles 32680 and 32682 and 32720? (Three normal 1x1 chests. Latter is green.)
    I suggest using the former for menial rewards (like rupees or ore chunks) and the middle chest for larger rewards (like small keys). Not sure about the latter.
    Oh, BTW, take a look at tiles 16430 and 16610. Note their various opening mechanisms. The latter has a padlock on it, whereas these small chests in the list don't. Thoughts?
    Oh, hey, what're those chests doing buried amidst the town tiles? They look nifty. Perhaps if there was a gold version of the studded-padlocked chest and a silver version of the padlocked chest - to make them even more distinct...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.16%

Oh, hey, what're those chests doing buried amidst the town tiles? They look nifty. Perhaps if there was a gold version of the studded-padlocked chest and a silver version of the padlocked chest - to make them even more distinct...
    This is sort of ... what I do. I keep going through the tiles and combo pages making little improvements and innovations, a piece at a time. These chests were the equivalent of about half an hour's worth of zoning out. :p It just looks incredibly odd that we have three different kinds of treasure chest combos but only one type of 1x1 representation of them, more or less. So now we've got a few more choices to choose from.

Also, considering that the DoR Tileset (Which I chose for this reason, among many others.) is very powerful in that if you're working in an Overworld Palette, the Dungeon or cave related entities don't look awful and chaotic like they do in, well, just about any other tileset. They're basically interchangeable, in a way. You can put overworld entities in a dungeon and dungeon entities in an overworld. It's the great thing about the set. :)

Er ... Yeah. Sure, I'll go make some gold variations of these. :p

I suggest using the former for menial rewards (like rupees or ore chunks) and the middle chest for larger rewards (like small keys). Not sure about the latter.
    Aha. What would you consider a heart container piece to be? Heart container? Quiver / Bomb / Wallet upgrade? Medicine? Bait?

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.24%

Permanent upgrades are, of course, better than temporary items. Entire Heart Containers should probably be put under lock and key.

By the way, why do we have Slash->Item versions of the treasure chests?! I was under the impression that the Slash->Item usage was simply simulating the treasure chest combo before it was implemented.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.39%

Quote Originally Posted by _L_ View Post
    Permanent upgrades are, of course, better than temporary items. Entire Heart Containers should probably be put under lock and key.

By the way, why do we have Slash->Item versions of the treasure chests?! I was under the impression that the Slash->Item usage was simply simulating the treasure chest combo before it was implemented.
    Because the DoR tileset was originally made in 1.92 beta 183.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.16%

Pretty much for the same reason why there's both normal and dungeon carving versions of dungeons. Some people prefer the new way, and some people still don't know how to make it work.

EDIT: Whoah, when did you post, Sephiroth? :p ... Well that's what you get when you're easily distracted, Shads. ...bah... The paragraph above works well enough.

On that note, I'm still trying to figure out what to do about caves in terms of dungeon carving mode. There are naturally two height variation levels in there. May as well stick with the upper one if I'm going to make one.

Thread Information