Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    61.55%

How big a difference?

I stumbled upon the old version of my quest and decided to have the the bottom-right screen compared to the new version. Originally, I started making the quest in the first pure tileset, as I thought there were too many tiles in the later versions. But then it came to the point where I needed more than the small amount that was there. I didn't swap to the later versions of pure though... as I thought it was too confusing. Then I saw the amazingness of DoR and got that... though I have to admit, it was REALLY HARD TO LEARN! But... in the end, it proved to be a major graphical difference... though work is going MUCH slower (it may take 3 years... so don't expect anything for a WHILE). So, in a nutshell, here's the difference:

Ya know... that's actually a pretty decent shot. Notice that at this point, I didn't know how to use layers. Until...

O_o Bloody Hilarious
    So... that's how humungous a difference that can happen due to tileset. It makes the old version look like garbage... well, in this case, that is.
    And just a note... that second shot (the newer one) is not actually the finalized shot. However, it is very close.

. . .

EDIT: Ah... found a minor update to the second shot.
    Creator of ZURPG, a Zelda game that's influenced by D&D and JRPGs to bring together a unique gameplay system combined with roleplaying.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.68%

Re: How big a difference?

To be fair that isn't the best you could do with the Pure Tileset. Now, I have used DoR and to tell you the truth, I like the PTUX a lot better. That is my opinion. When I was making somethings with DoR, I didn't like a lot of the things and the look of some of the things. However, that doesn't mean it is bad. I personally like DoR mixed with PTUX. That is way I am doing things now.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.21%

as am I Shoelace. ^_^
    "If anybody says him/her/it without defining what they're talking about, the conversation is automatically about my p.e.n.i.s. :-D" - Wild Bill
    "Design ideas come to me during fetid fits of masturbation." - C-Dawg
    "I want to give NoeL a blowjob! ^_^" - Peteo
    "The magic boob should be mine any minute!" - Koopa
    "Suicide is the most sincere form of self-criticism" - My Film Professor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    87.93%

PTUX + DOR + lots of custom work = Gold!
    --------------------
    "GET a stable version, THEN add more with the builds, DON'T just keep adding bloat to something that doesn't work already.
    Has common sense just left the building, or what?" -Freedom

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    54.74%

I agree! I am currently using PTUX and personally modified PTUX tiles for Quill & Link. But when I finish the quest, I mean *really* finish the quest, then I'll decide which DoR, etc. tiles combine well with the ones I have used. But I won't throw in FF tiles just because I need a lighthouse or something!
    Scotian Gold
    Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.92%

DoR is solid gold. It's really easy to use, very well labeled and laid out, and includes the best tiles from a hundred previous tilesets.

Lets hear it for DoR!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    61.55%

As I said, it was done BEFORE I learned how to use layers - that means that I sucked at building screens. Now... if I were to go back in, - and probably use PTUX - I'd probably build a much better screen. However... I don't feel that it'd get the same feel as the one in DoR, which gives the small town a 'small town' feel. That, and the other feels it'd get.
    Mixing the two tilesets? ... that would just take too much time for me. I'd much rather take just a few things from different places rather than what you're suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dawg
    DoR is solid gold. It's really easy to use, very well labeled and laid out, and includes the best tiles from a hundred previous tilesets.

Lets hear it for DoR!
    ... I'd almost agree with that... but I do feel that it is missing a few important things... that, and the cave tiles are too typical to work with for my likes.
    Creator of ZURPG, a Zelda game that's influenced by D&D and JRPGs to bring together a unique gameplay system combined with roleplaying.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    54.74%

Quote Originally Posted by WindStrike View Post
    I'd much rather take just a few things from different places rather than what you're suggesting.
    That's how I feel as well. But it's important to remember that these original tilesets were designed by well paid, professional game designers. When I play a quest and something just doesn't 'feel' right, it's usually careless tile usage. That, or homemade tiles that you can spot a mile away - it's not easy working in 16 colours!

(But if I ever need to make a desktop icon in the future...now it will piece of cake )
    Scotian Gold
    Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

Thread Information