User Tag List

Thread: Question... tiles importing and csets/palletes

Darkechibi

Question... tiles importing and csets/palletes

Hi
    Totally new. I have been reading for about 3 days and seem to be no nearer my solution than when I started.
    If this question is a foolish one, please forgive.

What I want to do is import a tile. at this point anyone. I have a tile (a pot) that I am trying to work with.
    I can and will if requested step by step what I am doing. I am requesting however a step by step import of a single tile tutorial, from BMP.
    I can get the thing in to the display and even place it, but its colors are wrong. I am sure it is something that I am missing but I am so confused now that it is (literally) frustrating me to sickness.
    Thanks

DC

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.93%

Re: Question... tiles importing and csets/palletes

Unfortunately, you have to completely recolor it within ZQuest. (If you're using a beta version of 2.11, it will try to preserve the colors, but I don't suggest using it. It's still in-the-works.)

Yes, you have to open up the tile editor and replace each color with the color that best suits it. You can swap the color sets (CSets) with [+] and [-]. The coloring may have to be slightly different, but that's the best you can do with an 8-bit program. Hopefully that answers your question.
    My quests:
    End of Time - First quest, uses classic graphics (Help/discussion thread)
    Link to the Heavens - Second quest, uses Pure tileset (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)
    End of Time DX - Remake of my first quest (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.87%

This has been asked about before, and Pineconn is right. The problem is that ZQuest displays tiles in the palettes you have created (or downloaded) for your quest. This will, likely, not be the same as the palette used by the bitmap you're ripping. ZQuest cannot tell which colors to assign to your bitmap, but it's usually pretty good about assigning different colors to different colors in the bitmap. So all you need to do is use the red wand tool to recolor as you want it.

If you are ripping tiles with more than 16 colors, then ZQuest WILL assign the same color to multiple colors in the source bitmap and you're boned. There might now be a way around this using 16-bit tiles, but I've never messed with that.

Darkechibi

I must say, Thanks for the help. I knew it was something I was simply missing... Not being there makes it VERY hard to find. Bleah.

Oh well. Onward to glory. Are you gang a friendly bunch? I try not to ask stupid questions but it happens.

Let me ask some Ques. that are formost on my mind for what I have planned.

1. I have gotten a higher number color tile. I don't know how. I do know that when I use it/edit after a copy-paste it looks great in ZQ, but in the actual ZC many of the colors are black... why? I saw this earlier (while hunting pallette help) but can't find it again wherever it was. still looking for it though.

** I am not looking for a comprehensive answer to these, its too early for that, but just yes or no's.

2. can link change clothes? not merely a pallette shift but based on what items the player has, can the tiles be switched to a totally new set.

3. can I have monsters that behave even exactly like standard monsters, but diffrent graphics without replacing the stock critters.

I hope this is not too much data requested too quickly and again thanks!

DC

Thread Information