Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.78%

Link stabbing

We need a way to adjust where Link stabs from. Here is a screenshot to illustrate what happens if you try stabbing with a large link (16x32 or 32x32):

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    97.36%

Re: Link stabbing

Seconded. Needed even for me at some point.
    Avatar: Just who the SPAAAACE do you think I am?

Developer
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.16%

Thirded.
    AGN's Resident Zelda Classic Developer and Sonic the Hedgehog Fanboy

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.39%

Fourthed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.54%

Depending on how it's executed, fifthed

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.35%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Reminds me of *b*'s other topic. Just a bit, ... but ... still.

Sixthed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.07%

Seventhed(This is getting rather silly)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.54%

I've just remembered I had an idea about this for some time, which I think now would be a good time to re/bring it up

Needless to say, this won't be in the next version, as it's rather complex. It's part of another idea I'm trying to work out, but here goes

A weapon position editor, or at least, a sword position editor. It would allow you to manually position where the sword appears for Link's attacks for both variations (stab and slash). It shows Link with a box around him to display the size of his sprite (in tiles). For slashing, you would edit the first three frames; Where the sword first appears, where the slash sprite appears, and where the final graphic appears before the pullback animation. For stabbing, you would simply edit where the sword appears

Naturally, the sword graphic would appear where you edit it to be, so you can proofcheck the look. Wherever the sword is, the hitbox, or ZC equivelant, would be placed there as well, and the sword beam, and pullback animations would also trigger where the sword was placed

How I'd imagine this to work is to have a system like the return point marker. You place a little icon where you want the sword to appear, and it is not limited to a grid. Sort of like how you place items in the subscreen editor... Okay, exactly like that. A drop-down box would allow you to select which direction to edit, and another would change the animation style (Slash/stab)

It would be very simple to use, but incredibly useful. Unless everyone uses a certain sprite, or conforms to a certain setup when using bigger Link sprites, this would be very helpful. AoL's Link has the sword appear much higher than LttP's Link, so a set animation change would limit either one, possibly both

I know this'd be a bitch to program, but it would be very helpful for using non-Link and varying Link sprites

If you actually read all that, thoughts? I know it's a bit long-winded, but that's what happens when I have an idea

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%

*b*, I had an idea almost identical to yours, but I'm glad you posted it first (Your word choice and explanation were superb, far better than what I could have hoped to ramble off).

Basically, it'd be a subscreen-type editor for animation. The only hangup you might run into are the newer items with 20+ frames of animation (Like Din's Fire), or those that animate over the whole screen (Again, Din's Fire).

Still, I think this would be incredibly useful, especially as an added feature to the (hopefully) item editor. And having the hitbox placement be right under the 'item' placement is a fantastic idea too.

• To further express my impression of this, I'll use an example
    • A quest maker wants to create a double-edged White Sword, one that slashes both forward and backward when used.
    • This quest maker opens the item editor for the White Sword and goes to Weapon Position Editor.
    • Adding another 'White Sword' entity, the quest maker flips it and positions it at Link's back, so that it is colinear with the original and stabbing in the opposite direction.
    • The Quest maker than goes to the pulldown menu and moves to the next frame. Adding the 'Slash-White Sword' entity, this quest maker lines it up in the desired position and moves to the next frame.
    • After repeating the process with each frame of the sword animation, the quest is saved and loaded into ZC. The result? When Link swings his sword, he stabs both forward and backward.

Of course, that's a pretty primative example, but it would make setting up custom items soooo much easier.

I'm rather fond of the Subscreen editor, so having more editors with that basic setup would suit me just fine.

Seconded. Oh, and this would be Eight-thed for the general Link attack positioning suggestion.
    I'm an author. If you're interested in checking out my works, you can find them on Amazon.com:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.54%

Quote Originally Posted by Cjc7988 View Post
    *b* ... Your word choice and explanation were superb, far better than what I could have hoped to ramble off
    Ah, but I can do even better!

(am)

Corny edit of the Link sprite screen, but it'll do. This is what I think it should look like, give or take a border or two. Very simple and easy to use. Click the non-greyed icon, and click and/or drag the sprite to the desired position. Either that, or cick the non-greyed icon and it will make the sword appear in the upper-left corner, then press the arrow keys to position it

Thread Information