Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.31%

Re: Why not Open Source?

Deserved or not, AGN has made a lot of enemies over the years. They have tried to steal ZC from us several times in the past.
    Oh!, that's a story I did not know. By AGN you mean "Armageddon games", I thought that ZC was made by Armageddon games, I don't know why they should be stealing their own game. Unless there are various factions inside Armageddon games.

Oh well, it seems like a complex story, better not get the detail. So in this case, yes I can agree that close source is better as long as people are allowed to join the development team if they show some interest in the project.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.9%

It has something to do with Darth Chronic and War Lord and who the fuck knows. (Seriously, for such a laid back forum, I can't imagine what causes drama.) Things seem to have worked out pretty well, though. Staying true to the Phantom Menace has kept this project alive and active longer than any other game engine out there. Zelda Classic is simply without peer.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.1%

AGN has made many enemies... these enemies of which AGN has made are the people trying to steal ZC from us. (not AGN stealing from itself, because thats just stupid)

im pretty sure this is what dark nation meant lol, if not then sorry -.-
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Shapyi

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Nation View Post
    The reasons why ZC isn't Open Source is three-fold:

1. Phantom Menace and War Lord said no. The devs will abide by their wishes.

2. Deserved or not, AGN has made a lot of enemies over the years. They have tried to steal ZC from us several times in the past. Making ZC Open Source could easily (especially if it were intentional) cause forks and separate ZC camps. This would be one of the easiest and most effective ways to cause us problems.

3. The protection granted by the GPL would be practically useless to us given ZC's own shaky legal standing.

As for a GamePark port, one is currently being worked on for the GP2X.
    Well those sound like valid reasons to me. Maybe one day in the future Zelda Classic will be able to go open source without any major problems.

Thread Information