User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LSGMB Ahoy (Demo of 2-D exploring game)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.88%

Re: LSGMB Ahoy (Demo of 2-D exploring game)

I've hit upon a new technique for coding custom bosses, which I'm amazed I didn't think of before. I call it "ghosting." Essentially it's just telling the game to create an invisible enemy, like shooters, or the fire enemy, and then having that enemy move along with an FFC. Secondly, linking each active FFC in your large boss to a single "mover" FFC means that you can control the boss' movement realitively easily.

I cannot stress enough how much FASTER this way of making bosses is. I've made five or so custom bosses in the last two days illustrating these techniques and added them to this quest. The script file is included in the zip.
    http://users.sephiroth.ws/C-Dawg/SideQuest.zip

Here are screenshots of some of the bosses in action.

This fella flies around after your ship, shooting fireballs at you. It turns to follow you, but it has inertia, so you can avoid it as it swoops by. 150 hit points.

This one drifts back and forth, spits out highly damaging bubbles that slowly drift downscreen, and it shoots fireballs. Has about 150 hit points.

This boss (not accessible yet) slowly follows the player while spitting out eyeballs (keese, bats) and fireballs. 200 hit points.

This son of a bitch zips around the screen in a wave motion while shooting at you. 100 hit points.

Now, if only FFCs would display the proper Cset and not just Cset 0, these bosses would look alot better...

Ultimate Prankster Lucario QDB Manager
    Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.91%

Press - and + to change the Csets of FFCs. DUH. :p It doesn't check for that "Cset 2" function whatsoever when loading a tile's Cset...

I'll have to check this out! One thing: Did you HAVE to make the Biological Zone look SO CREEPY?! ;_; Seriously, just looking at it gives me the heebie-jeebies! *shudders*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    47.07%

The biozone is ment to resemble a giant living organism, or sorts. do you think walking through a creatures stomach is a stroll through the yellow brick road? Its supposed to be creepy and disgusting.

Those bosses seem awesomely, I can't wait to destroy them, however I suck at this game, I die too much and don't know what I'm doing really.

And sometimes the transitioning during a jump can warp you to a cave, which after leaving(if possible) you are stuck in a wall/cealing/etc This bug can be VERY frustrating(Yea with scripting comes bugs on the game builder's part now, lol)
    Keeping something big a secret, in case it doesn't work out I can understand.
    But he deliberatly drops little hints just to drive us mad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.88%

Ah,well, I'm not sure that I'm responsible for that bug. I'm aware of it. The problem is that there are two scripts running. One is my jumping script, the other is _L_'s gravity script (running via the sideview gravity screen flag). I don't know how his script works, so I dont know how they're interacting. I'm assuming that he's got some sort of "snap to grid" function in his script, and that this is the source of the "warp to the top od the screen."

I have figured out why you warp into a cave, though. Apparently the blank combo I was using as the combo assigned to the jumping ffc (which is at 0,0 on every screen) was actually a CAVE combo. So if you are bumped to the top of the screen while transitioning to the right, boom, into a cave you go. That one is fixed. Now you should get right to being stuck in the wall.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.88%

Updated.

Added a new area, the Ocean Zone.

Also tinkered around with the custom bosses, adding some, fixing others.

Here ya are.

http://users.sephiroth.ws/C-Dawg/sidequest.zip

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.5%

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dawg View Post
    Here's an unpassworded quest file for you to check out. I'm calling it "The Legacy Story of the Guardian Metroid Blaster," (LSGMB) for comedy value. Kudos to those who can identify each word in the title. It's a side-scrolling dungeon exploring game. Press L to jump.

Screenies ahoy:

All of the tiles that are not from LoZ1 are completely made-from-scratch. There isn't a whole lot you can do in this demonstration; you can retrieve the force hammer (sword), bombs, and high-jump boots. You can explore the areas shown in the screenshots.

I'm posting this here for a couple of reasons. First, people should be pleased that a 2-D game like this is now possible. Second, as you'll notice when you play, the jumping physics need a little work. I'm hoping someone can improve on my script. I'm also hoping someone can figure out why the _L_'s gravity screen flag, combined with my jumping script, occasionally makes the game go haywire when moving between screens. Oh, and it is here instead of in Quest A&D because it's really only here to provide ideas and examples for quest design.

Here's the quest file. Use Beta.15 to open it.
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/15e3d1/
    Why did you remove that quest file?

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.78%

Unhappy Re: LSGMB Ahoy (Demo of 2-D exploring game)

I can't download the latest version. I click on the link (this one: http://users.sephiroth.ws/C-Dawg/sidequest.zip), but it cannot open the site.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.88%

Sorry, the correct download link is :

This one dumps you right into the Ocean Zone (where I was working) so you have to modify starting location or cheat cheaty cheat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.88%

Updated again. There's a new corridor with a giant squid boss, if you can find it.

I've also added a Dashing feature. The Magic meter is actually a Dashing meter. Hold R and you'll move left and right at about double speed, but your Dashing meter will steadily deplete. Stop dashing, and it will slowly refill.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.78%

I'm starting to feel like an annoying pest but... the download doesn't work again, sorry :)

Thread Information