User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: LSGMB Ahoy (Demo of 2-D exploring game)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.92%

LSGMB Ahoy (Demo of 2-D exploring game)

Here's an unpassworded quest file for you to check out. I'm calling it "The Legacy Story of the Guardian Metroid Blaster," (LSGMB) for comedy value. Kudos to those who can identify each word in the title. It's a side-scrolling dungeon exploring game. Press L to jump.

Screenies ahoy:

All of the tiles that are not from LoZ1 are completely made-from-scratch. There isn't a whole lot you can do in this demonstration; you can retrieve the force hammer (sword), bombs, and high-jump boots. You can explore the areas shown in the screenshots.

I'm posting this here for a couple of reasons. First, people should be pleased that a 2-D game like this is now possible. Second, as you'll notice when you play, the jumping physics need a little work. I'm hoping someone can improve on my script. I'm also hoping someone can figure out why the _L_'s gravity screen flag, combined with my jumping script, occasionally makes the game go haywire when moving between screens. Oh, and it is here instead of in Quest A&D because it's really only here to provide ideas and examples for quest design.

Here's the quest file. Use Beta.15 to open it.
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/15e3d1/

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.73%

Re: LSGMB Ahoy (Demo of 2-D exploring game)

I shall take it as a compliment that I am referred to as "the _L_".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.92%

Also consider it a compliment that people push the L to jump. That wasn't an accident. Now, let's figure out why your gravity flag makes Link shoot up to the top of the screen and enter a cave where there are no caves placed on the screen...

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.08%

Hey, that was pretty cool, it does need some work but otherwise was pretty neat, I had no idea where I was or what I was doing though. Might I suggest having a bit more direction with the demo next time. Anyways, I think the engine needs work, the jump feels awkward, also I think it may be best to have special warps at the tops of the screen, because it is annoying when you jump, hit the top, scroll up then fall back down, if you made some unwalkable combos at the top, then have a few open combos that can be accessed when you need to scroll up to the next screen.

Ultimate Prankster Lucario QDB Manager
    Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.94%

I'm already liking this. Only problems:

-Fall down where the vines are on the right side of the first area, and you're STUCK, since the only way out seems to be to climb, AND YOU CAN'T CLIMB.
    -Uhmm... One screen I found didn't have gravity on OR your jumping script placed on it.

Also, is the main character implied to be Samus Aran, the heroine of all the Metroid games? If so, I must inform you: SAMUS ISN'T A ROBOT.

I can't figure out what you mean by "who can identify each word in the title". Is your title supposed to be made up of synonyms for words used in the title of another game? If so, what it is? I can't figure it out. XD All I know is that it'd HAVE to be a Metroid game. Otherwise, there would be "Metroid blaster" in the title.

I hope you don't mind if I make a quest with this. :p

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    61.73%

Blaster's from Blaster Master, right? Guardian... Ah... I know the game, I just can't think of the title... Guardian Legend! I have no clue about Legacy... And as for Story... Uh... Gah! You've beaten me. Anyway, it looks cool. Downloading now.

EDIT:
    Story=Cave Story. Right?

Also, I hope someone can upgrade the jumping script. It's not bad, it just makes some jumps (jumps in rooms that have a Guy) very akward.

Oh noes! I found a bug! When jumping directly beneath one of the blocks, you're randomly skyrocketed. If this happens between screens, you just pop up at the top of the screen you moved to.

The robot reminded me of a female version of the little robot from Cave Story. This is a good thing.
    Current Quest - Nothing... -_-'

&&
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.76%

Hmm, this is very interesting. V good indeed. However, for some reason I had to press A to jump rather than L. I also found a couple of bugs, but its nothing major

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.92%

Yeah, of course it's buggy. It's not intended to be a quest demo, more of a technical demo and invitation for people to improve on the jumping script used. The jumping-warp-to-the-top-of-the-screen and jumping-warp-to-cave-screen bugs are two of the big ones that arise from the combination of my jump script and _L_'s gravity flag. Also, now that 2-D is possible, we should work on getting some 2-D tilesets together.

Oh, and the answer to our quiz is as follows:

Legacy of the Wizard
    Cave Story
    Guardian Legend
    Metroid
    Blaster Master

The only 2-D exploring game I'm not actively borrowing from (worth it's salt) is Castlevania:Sotn.

Still havn't heard anything from _L_ on synergizing the jumping with his gravity script...

Quote Originally Posted by pikaguy900 View Post
    Also, is the main character implied to be Samus Aran, the heroine of all the Metroid games? If so, I must inform you: SAMUS ISN'T A ROBOT.
    Then its not Samus, huh? I'm not actively making a sequel, here. I'm joyfully borrowing elements from all the 2-D explorers I've loved in the past, now that it's possible.

Not at all, that's the point. I'll continue adding tiles and improving the jump script until, eventually, it can be used as a solid base for anyone to make a good 2-D exploring game. I hope to add a dash move as well, since I have the R button to use as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.92%

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dawg View Post
    Yeah, of course it's buggy. It's not intended to be a quest demo, more of a technical demo and invitation for people to improve on the jumping script used. Also, now that 2-D is possible, we should work on getting some 2-D tilesets together.

Oh, and the answer to our quiz is as follows:

Legacy of the Wizard
    Cave Story
    Guardian Legend
    Metroid
    Blaster Master

The only 2-D exploring game I'm not actively borrowing from (worth it's salt) is Castlevania:Sotn.

Still havn't heard anything from _L_ on synergizing the jumping with his gravity script...
    Then its not Samus, huh? I'm not actively making a sequel, here. I'm joyfully borrowing elements from all the 2-D explorers I've loved in the past, now that it's possible.

Not at all, that's the point. I'll continue adding tiles and improving the jump script until, eventually, it can be used as a solid base for anyone to make a good 2-D exploring game. I hope to add a dash move as well, since I have the R button to use as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.92%

Updated file. Added more sections to the dungeon, and improved the jumping script a bit. Now you should be able to control your height by how long you hold the L button.
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/d4c6f4/

Thread Information