Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    50.31%

Windows XP and User Accounts

Not sure if this is a "bug" or not, or if anyone else has encountered it (either I'm too dumb to find the Search capability for the forum or there isn't one...).

I installed ZC 2.10 (from the downloads page of zeldaclassic.com). I have two accounts on my Windows XP Pro machine, one that is an Admin account and one that is not. When attempting to launch ZC in the non-admin account, I got the dreaded "1st.qst" error, and I could not get ZC to load a quest file despite trying various recommendations from the ZC FAQ and forums.

I discovered, however, that I am able to run ZC 2.10 when logged into the Admin account, so it seems ZC needs to have some sort of read/write/modify permission to execute quests (?). This seems obvious (#define HINDSIGHT 20/20) now that I've thought about it, but the error messages I got were vague and I forget stuff like that too quickly.....

Anyway, now that I'm up and running, I'm having a blast! Thanks for the great game / editor!

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    15.67%

Re: Windows XP and User Accounts

It's probably just a quest directory error. The 1st quest error just means it can't load 1stquest.qst because it's not in the current quest directy, because you're on a different user.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    50.31%

Post Re: Windows XP and User Accounts

...the file is at C:\Program Files\ZC2.10\, and the non-admin user can see the 1st.qst file, as well as open it using Wordpad. I did discover that the non-admin account can't copy or delete the file, so it seems there is a "mild" permissions issue somewhere.

On a side note, when I run the zelda-w.exe file with the non-admin account, the "register" screen is very dim, and none of the saved quests are visible. When I open in the Admin account, everything is normal and I can continue existing quests.

Weird. I think my next step will be to grant the non-admin account special permissions for the ZC folders and see if that solves the issue.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.74%

Re: Windows XP and User Accounts

it will... right click on it and choose to run it as another user -.-' then tell it to run it as an admin user and voile it should work perfectly.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Thread Information