Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.71%

Re: Charge Up Spin/Whirling Blade

And so on and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by *b* View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by _L_
    Sure, whatever./Mmm-hmm. I suppose one denotes the other.
    Is that a yes?
    It's an "It's a good suggestion."

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    62.05%

Not having read the Instruction Manual for LttP (too young when we first rented it out, no manuals come with Roms, never bothered to find scans, etc.), the only time I've heard the name Whirling Blade used is for the controllable Spin Attack. Now that has only been in the newer games like FS, WW and MC, and it was never used to refer to the normal one in any of them. Also, didn't Link's father in LttP just call it the Spin Attack?

But as an aside, I think it would be cool to see the controllable spin added at a later date. It might get annoying trying to choose between it and the Cross Beams in the heat of battle though - the beams would probably be activated only when you're stationary, right? Or you could combine them, so that the Whirling Blade fires Sword Beams for the whole duration of the spin
    Crash Man is the coolest Robot Master ever! Well, aside from Skull Man, Elec Man, Quick Man, Gemini Man, Shadow Man... ahh, forget it!

Megaman: "Who cares if it's peacetime? You're an inventor, damnit - MAKE SOMETHING!"
    Dr Light: " 'Necessity is the mother of invention.' "
    Megaman: "Good, I'm hungry. Go invent me a sandwich."

Ultimate Prankster Lucario QDB Manager
    Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.92%

Quote Originally Posted by eXodus View Post
    Not having read the Instruction Manual for LttP (too young when we first rented it out, no manuals come with Roms, never bothered to find scans, etc.), the only time I've heard the name Whirling Blade used is for the controllable Spin Attack. Now that has only been in the newer games like FS, WW and MC, and it was never used to refer to the normal one in any of them. Also, didn't Link's father in LttP just call it the Spin Attack?

But as an aside, I think it would be cool to see the controllable spin added at a later date. It might get annoying trying to choose between it and the Cross Beams in the heat of battle though - the beams would probably be activated only when you're stationary, right? Or you could combine them, so that the Whirling Blade fires Sword Beams for the whole duration of the spin
    Actually, LttP/FS on GBA and WW called it the Hurricane Blade, while TMC called it Great Spin Attack. To this day, I STILL call that the Hurricane Blade. But yeah, it's not Whirling Blade. Some people call it that (and I think some walkthroughs on Zelda.com call it that, too), but its true name is Spin Attack, and nothing else. Or, if you prefer, Spin Blade. Or Whirling Spin. Or any combonation of the 4 words. :rofl: Honestly, I don't care what it's called, because I know what it is either way.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    62.05%

Of course, once we have usable dialogue editing and Custom Item Names in stable (hopefully 2.5), we won't need to worry about. People would make them non-Scrolls with whatever name they want - and then THEY would be the ones everyone bit^H^H^Hwhinges at for using the "wrong" name!
    Crash Man is the coolest Robot Master ever! Well, aside from Skull Man, Elec Man, Quick Man, Gemini Man, Shadow Man... ahh, forget it!

Megaman: "Who cares if it's peacetime? You're an inventor, damnit - MAKE SOMETHING!"
    Dr Light: " 'Necessity is the mother of invention.' "
    Megaman: "Good, I'm hungry. Go invent me a sandwich."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.55%

Okay okay, guys, I get it. It's the "Spin Attack" now. It was just a suggestion, Jesus...

Quote Originally Posted by _L_
    It's an "It's a good suggestion."
    That still dosen't answer my question

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.71%

Sorry about that. I'll probably implement it when I'm done implementing the dialogue editor, holes/drowning and cliff jumping. And maybe after the water walking raft as well.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.82%

Y'know, the Japanese name for the ability is probably some variation on "whirling blade technique." It's just probably a lot shorter. Hence why "spin attack" was coined. 5 syllables versus 3... 3 wins.

It's not the first time Nintendo has imitated phrases coined by fans. For instance, in the Japanese Zelda 2, Link's shadow is called "Doppleganger." However, no one told the America fans what he was called, back then, so we just called him "Dark Link." And when the boss reappeared in Ocarina of Time, he sported "Dark Link" as his American name.

By the way, "Great Spin Attack" is just the charged version of "Spin Attack." It really *is* worthy of the name "hurricane," though, considering that you can spin continuously while moving.

Quote Originally Posted by _L_ View Post
    Sorry about that. I'll probably implement it when I'm done implementing the dialogue editor, holes/drowning and cliff jumping. And maybe after the water walking raft as well.
    A little confused by the raft comment (I thought it was going to be "boots"?), but I like the sound of all of these coming additions. :)
    ...but then, I've been eating paste all morning, so what do I know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    53.43%

Quote Originally Posted by Radien ZC View Post
    Y'know, the Japanese name for the ability is probably some variation on "whirling blade technique." It's just probably a lot shorter.
    It's called "Kaitengiri".

Quote Originally Posted by Radien ZC View Post
    By the way, "Great Spin Attack" is just the charged version of "Spin Attack." It really *is* worthy of the name "hurricane," though, considering that you can spin continuously while moving.
    Yeah, thanks for reminding me about the Great Spin Attack. The name should be kept as Spin Attack because later the Great Spin Attack *might* be implemented too, so it wouldn't look good to be "Whirling Blade" and "Great Spin Attack", than "Spin Attack" and "Great Spin Attack"

- Quest rules for sword-specific sparkles when the charge up spin is preformed
    Not only quest rules, we would need a "MISC: Spin Attack Sparkles" sprite.

- Quest rules for sword-specific sparkle patterns when the charge up spin is preformed
    It wouldn't work because the sparkle would be one tile, so the sparkles would appear too far from the sword. Except if the sparkles would be minitiles.

Ultimate Prankster Lucario QDB Manager
    Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.92%

Quote Originally Posted by Imprisoned View Post
    It's called "Kaitengiri".

Yeah, thanks for reminding me about the Great Spin Attack. The name should be kept as Spin Attack because later the Great Spin Attack *might* be implemented too, so it wouldn't look good to be "Whirling Blade" and "Great Spin Attack", than "Spin Attack" and "Great Spin Attack"

Not only quest rules, we would need a "MISC: Spin Attack Sparkles" sprite.

It wouldn't work because the sparkle would be one tile, so the sparkles would appear too far from the sword. Except if the sparkles would be minitiles.
    After reading this thread and mentioning the Hurricane Blade and Great Spin Attack techniques, I instantly made a suggestion for the Hurricane Blade Tiger Scroll. Much to my surpise, _L_ came and mentioned a shocking thing- HE'S ALMOST DONE MAKING THE HURRICANE BLADE! All he needs to do now is make the part where Link gets stunned. ^_^ (Haven't used that one yet! XD) He also said he wants to do the Great Spin Attack, too. Man, _L_ seems to be one step ahead of us! XD

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.71%

Quote Originally Posted by pikaguy900 View Post
    Much to my surpise, _L_ came and mentioned a shocking thing- HE'S ALMOST DONE MAKING THE HURRICANE BLADE! All he needs to do now is make the part where Link gets stunned. ^_^ (Haven't used that one yet! XD)
    Oh, all right, I'll make the part where Link gets stunned.
    Quote Originally Posted by pikaguy900 View Post
    He also said he wants to do the Great Spin Attack, too.
    Uhh, no, I didn't. I just mentioned the mechanics of the Great Spin Attack in order to contrast the differences between the Hurricane Spin, which you seemed to be confusd about.

But hey, since you mentioned it...! (But it won't happen anytime soon.)

Thread Information