Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    61.75%

ZC 2.5 Title Screen Contest

We're having a title screen contest for the upcoming ZC 2.5. The two winning entries will be included in ZC 2.5 with the top winner's entry being the default and the second place entry being selectable (although the 2 title screens currently there will still be available for selection).

Requirements/Rules:
    • Submissions must have dimensions of 256 pixels horizontally by 224 pixels vertically at 256 colors or less.
    • No copyrighted images. If you found it on the internet and it wasn't on a page that said something like "everything on this page is public domain", don't use it. "If in doubt, throw it out."
    • Not that it should need to be said, but only G-rated submissions will be considered.
    • Animated submissions are fine and even encouraged, but please keep the frames reasonable. While a 400 frame animated title screen may look very pretty, it would be WAY too large. The current animated pool that ZC uses has only 4 frames (though it's a ping-pong animation, so the sequence goes 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2 then repeats). A frame that's reused counts as only 1 frame so longer animations with a lot of reused frames is acceptable.
    • Remember that there will be 2 copyright notes on the title screen. Do not include them on your submission as one (the Armageddon Games one) will change each year. They will be added by the game engine itself. However, you do need to reserve a place for them. You can add a separate image with your submission to show how the copyright notices should be placed on your image. The font used will be the font currently being used for the animated pool title screen that is the current default. If you wish to use a different font, place add it to your entry. Remember that all digits from 0 to 9 must be included as well as any letters used in the copyright notice, including a copyright symbol "(c)" and a Jeremyright symbol "(j)". Either a long or short version of the notices can be used, just make note in your entry as to how you want it to read. The current notices are as follows (and your entry needs to use one of these or something very similar):
      • Normal (used in the animated pool title screen)
        • (c)1986 Nintendo
        • (j)2006 Armageddon Games
      • Shortened (used in the original Z1 title screen)
        • (c)1986 NINTENDO
        • (j)2006 AG
    • The deadline for submissions is Dec 18. Once submissions are complete, the entries will be made public.
    • Deadline for voting is Dec. 25.
    • Multiple submissions are allowed.
    • PM me with your entry. If you can attach a file, you may do so. If you can't, then host it somewhere and PM me the link. If you can't do that, then e-mail the submission [email protected]. Also, send me a PM letting me know that you sent an e-mail (to make sure I got it, don't assume I did unless you get a PM or e-mail from me stating so).
    • Voting will not be done with polls but on a point system. Each submission can be given anywhere from 0 to 10 points by each voter. The votes can be done publicly or PM'd to me directly for anonymity.
    • Please keep a copy of your submission (in the editable state) saved somewhere in case you need to make changes (i.e. I notice that the copyright message doesn't fit where you said you wanted it and need you to rework something) or in case you notice something that you want to fix in your submission (changes will be allowed up until voting time).

It has been suggested that I take ideas for the prize. I originally was only going to include the 1st place winner with the game (and may still do so if enough people want me to do that) but instead decided on a 2-place system. Is this suitable to everyone or should I go another route?

Also, for making the images, here are some helpful programs:

For hosting images, here are some links:

A note on fonts and copyright notices: Two font files are listed here for your reference. Your font, should you choose to use a custom one for your copyright notices, can be either fixed-width or variable width. Font files are stored as 8-bit (256 color) bmp files. Color 0 is the background. Color 255 is the font boundary. Color 1 is used for the font if you are doing a monochrome (black and white) font. If you want to do a color font, you can use colors 1-254. Just remember that the colors used by the color font come from your title screen, not the font bmp file, so you may want to import the palette from your title screen into the font bmp file to make it easier to reference. Also, the copyright notice doesn't have to be letter for letter what is listed above. You may come up with a nice calligraphic font and want to put some embellishments at the beginning or end of your notices. For instance, your notice might read: "(c) &Armageddon Games%" where & and % are little flowers or smilie faces or whatever. A composite image with the font and embellished copyright notices will be placed on the voting page(s) so people can see what it is supposed to look like.

Please post here if you have any questions.

Thales

Re: ZC 2.5 Title Screen Contest

Any preferences on the file format for the title screen? Are animated GIFs okay?

PS:
    This is my first post ever. Seeing this contest has inspired me to get more involved in ZC. Very cool.

Robots in Disguise
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    61.75%

Animated GIFs are ideal, as they are already limited to 256 colors and you can set them to animate with the correct timing. This is why I put the link for MovieGear up there; it creates animated GIFs.

I plan to create animated GIFs of the other files sent to me, but they may not look exactly how you intended them (not the right speed, for instance). So, it's best (but not mandatory) if you create them yourself.

Robots in Disguise
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    61.75%

Update on the contest: I was wrong about the dimensions of the title screen. The correct dimensions at 256 pixels horizontally by 224 pixels vertically. I've updated the original post of this thread to correct this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    53.43%

Hmm... 256hx224v... is that the size of the ZC small windowed screen? O.o

Oh and do I have to make both Armageddon Games one and Zelda Classic one?

Robots in Disguise
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    61.75%

Yes, it is the exact same size as the ZC unscaled window. And the Armageddon Games screen won't change; just the Zelda Classic screen.

Robots in Disguise
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    61.75%

Update: I've just received my first contest entry.

Robots in Disguise
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    61.75%

It's been a week and I've only received 1 submission. If you are interested in this contest, there's just over a week left to submit your entries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    53.43%

Yes people PLEASE submit at least something, since my entry sucks so bad I would be banned because ppl would hate me!!!!

-Imprisoned

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.38%

Ahh, if I knew about this earlier...

Although i'm no good at this kind of thing it's worth a shot, maybe i'll get some really good idea or something. Hey imprisoned how bad is bad for your entry?

Also, for animated pictures what would be a reccomended number of frames? 4? I don't want to make it too big but if I can't do it to make it look right i'll think of something else

Thread Information