Well, Link had two different appearances in the Sacred Realm during the storyline of AlttP: In the game he became a bunny and in the manga he was a werewolf briefly.

Link also becomes a wolf in Twilight Princess, which was also a brief stay in darkness.

But... I can't see that reflection coming off of a relatively timid and mute Link personality.

So, after a long discussion in IRC chat with Geecku, we decided on some suitable 'inner reflections' of your two main characters.

• Link = Turtle
    • Being that he comes off so timid and withdrawn, it would make sense that he'd become some sort of creature that held that kind of protection. Whereas the original is more of a protection from social situations, the later is one from physical harm, making it fit well with the theme of the Sacred Realm (Emotion becomes Reality).
  • Zelda = White Dove
    • After quite a bit of debate regarding who the 'real' Zelda was, Geecku convinced me that she is usually very quiet and appologetic. This reflects an aura of innocence that should be presented in her Sacred Realm self. White is often a sign of purity, and the dove a symbol of tranquility and calm. Add in the natural symbolism of flight, and you've got yourself a heavily-layered and powerful metaphor with a simple image.

I anticipate you may have wanted to use something a little more twisted and monstrous, _L_, but I think these fit a lot better in the Sacred Realm setting. After all, even with an onset of chaos it's still the place it was before. As the Triforce is not part of its unraveling, the chaos should not affect the Sacred Realm's innate properties.

And that's my two cents for the day. Again, I'll state that Geecku helped a lot with this, so it wasn't just my idea.