0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.05%

Re: House Democrat Wants Draft Reinstated

Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    Weren't the 60s about when the big switch happened, where the Democrat and Republican parties somehow became each other? I know that Lincoln was a Republican, though I doubt he'd be one today.
    What makes you think that? Republicans still hold on to some traditional ideas which Lincoln no doubt would have identified with. I doubt he would support the Democrats as they exist today since most of their ideas were unheard of in his time.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.85%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

1960's: John F. Kennedy was a democrat by old and new standards.
    1960's: Richard Nixon was a republican by old and new standards.
    1960's: Lyndon Johnson was a democrat by old and new standards. Responsible for massive escalation of Vietnam war.

There was a contingent of old school racist southern democrats that eventually became republicans, but it was not a global shift. The democrats started, escalated, and lost the Vietnam war. Republicans pulled us out. Does that mean that modern Republicans aren't completely full of shit? no, of course they are. So are the democrats.

I now quote the great Lewis Black: "Choosing between the democrats and the republicans is like choosing between two bowls of shit. ... On the one hand, you have the democrats, who are the party of No Ideas. On the other hand, you have the republicans, who are the party of Bad Ideas."

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    17.16%

Quote Originally Posted by Beldaran View Post
    I now quote the great Lewis Black: "Choosing between the democrats and the republicans is like choosing between two bowls of shit. ... On the one hand, you have the democrats, who are the party of No Ideas. On the other hand, you have the republicans, who are the party of Bad Ideas."
    I love Lewis Black. He is completely right on. I may have voted along a party line this year, but it was based on education reform since NCLB is up for renewal. The decisions made by this new Congress can have some major effects on my job.

Thread Information