0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.01%

Re: Final Fantasy III DS

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias_Daboi View Post
    If I had $10 more, I would have gotten it instead of Metroid Prime Hunters... Damn. I do want it though. I played the original "de-japed" NES ROM.
    If you haven't opened it yet, take Metroid Prime Hunters back and save up a few more bucks for FFIII. Trust me when I say that Hunters is the worst Metroid game EVER. (unless you're in it solely for the online deathmatch)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.14%

Just some advice for those of you who own this game, its possible to cast "cure" on all of your party members at once. This is something I just discovered and it has made my life a helluva lot easier.

Its surprising how different some of the mechanics of this game are from other final fantasy games. These things have surprised me (there are more I can't think of):

White Mages can cast "cure" on multiple members at a time
    White Mages can cast black magic
    Black Mages can cast white magic
    Melee characters can hit up to 8 times per turn, initially.

I just haven't adjusted to the mechanics of the game and I still don't fully understand the job system.

Currently, my team is made up of: Warrior, Monk, White Mage, Black Mage. The monk started out pretty pathetic, but I heard it was worth it to train him and now that he has some job levels he can indeed dish out some hurt. My white (grey?) mage seems a little useless at the moment because the other mage can cast cure. I usually just have him use a fire/ice rod when he isn't healing. The black mage is surprising powerful early in the game, especially since most of the enemies are elemental at this point. Lastly, the warrior is probably my favorite character at the moment. The best items I've found so far have all been for a warrior so he is well stocked and deals a lot of damage. I use advance almost every turn and he never takes much damage due to his awesome armor.

Fortunately (or not..) I am about to unlock the next round of job classes. Which means I'll have to develop a new team. I'll feel bad ditching the classes I've been developing thus far but I think the benefits of the new classes will outweigh the lost experience.

Oh, and one last question:

Is there any way to revive characters if you have no phoenix downs and haven't learned "life" yet? I just used my last phoenix down and I am afraid of what will happen if one of my characters dies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.31%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Quote Originally Posted by gdorf View Post
    Is there any way to revive characters if you have no phoenix downs and haven't learned "life" yet? I just used my last phoenix down and I am afraid of what will happen if one of my characters dies.
    There are springs that when approached with the A button, will revive any dead characters. You may have already tried to use one and had the message "Nothing happens" or similar.
    Theres one in the dwarf cave someplace.

Phoenix Downs need to be conserved early in the game, as they're necessary for dungeons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.36%

I picked up a copy of this game yesterday. A quick question, are there any jobs I should avoid completely and any that are reccomended?
    Winner of the Side Splitter award in the first Writing Contest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.14%

Personally I am avoiding the red mage. While his adaptability makes him appealing, I think he's a "Jack of all trades, master of none" and with four members you should be able to specialize more. I am hesistant to invest too much into a white mage either, because apparently they can't learn the highest level white-magic spells. I think its worth investing in a black mage early, because there are some points in the game where you'll need high MP and the only way to get it is through job experience.

I think you'll end up changing jobs later as they become available to you, so I wouldn't worry too much about it for now.

Edit: BTW: Geomancers ROCK. :)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.31%

Quote Originally Posted by gdorf View Post

Its surprising how different some of the mechanics of this game are from other final fantasy games. These things have surprised me (there are more I can't think of):

White Mages can cast "cure" on multiple members at a time
    White Mages can cast black magic
    Black Mages can cast white magic
    Melee characters can hit up to 8 times per turn, initially.
    I think you've mistaken "cast" with "learn" there.

You can assign spells to characters with jobs that couldn't normally use those spells, like giving Cure to a black mage, or fire to a white mage.

When it comes to actually using those spells, however, they'll be greyed out and inaccessible; even if a black mage has Cure in his level 1 list, and spell points, he will not be able to cast it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.14%

Yeah, I noticed that a little after posting. I guess its nice being able to have the spells available when I change jobs though.

Daarkseid, what jobs are you using right now?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.31%

My group is consisting of these now:

Luneth; Evoker
    Arc; Monk
    Refia; Dragoon
    Ingus; Knight

Right now I'm prepping them to become an all mage party for a certain dungeon, but afterwards they'll probably be changed back. One of the next jobs I'll probably switch to is the Dark Knight though.

My favorite job I've used so far is the Ranger, because the damage output is sickening, and from the back row no less. Even more so using the elemental arrows on the appropriate targets. I'll probably wind up going back to using a ranger in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.14%

Dang, I haven't used a ranger at all. I tend to shy away from classes that require expendable items. From past experience it seems I always run out of the item I need right at the boss.

I just made Luneth a Dark Knight and it kicks ass. Souleater almost always wipes the entire party I'm fighting and only inflicts ~100hp damage against Luneth. Combined with the blood sword I have right equipped right now I can Souleater, then attack on the next group and regain my health through the vampiric effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.14%

Double Post: I appear to be stuck, and I think it might be a glitch in the game. If any of you are a ways into the game, I'd appreciate some advice.

Spoiler: show
    I've made it to the main continent, I got the third crystal and I beat the boss in the gold building. After unlocking my airship's chain I went to explore the map. I found a location to the far south on the eastern side of the large island called "Doga's Village" where a lot of magic is sold. I was able to fly into this area with my airship, but not I can't fly out. I am stuck in this circle of mountains and as far as I can tell there is no way out. Does anyone know if there is something I am missing?

edit: AWESOME. I just spent some more time Googling my situation, and I definitely stumbled upon a glitch. Now I am stuck and will have to replay the last 3-4 hours of the game. Sweet. . Make sure you vary your save slots often guys. I am just glad I don't have to replay the whole game over.

Thread Information