Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.18%

Re: Stagnant Waters

Way to go Dark Nation for letting the air out of my tires. I really don't have much to stand on for this argument, but to be fair, I hadn't actually considered it until recently.

Mainly, I'm dissatisfied that the community at large is content to sit right where it is. They're afraid of bugs so much that they are complaining about having the option to work with newer betas and features like scripting. A few shining examples of innovative work are nice, but "few" is the key word here.
    ~Dart Zaidyer

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.16%

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    What stopped me cold, is I guess my own impatience.
    (and the fact I'm trying to get my house ready to sell)

I got tired of waiting for a stable bug free beta that I could actually build and release a good quest in.
    The 2.10 has 2 game stopping bugs, the map and the shops.
    If a shop decides not to show up, then whoever is playing the quest is not only finished at that point, but they are PISSED OFF as well.
    Why put months into a project just to get people pissed off at me?

When the focus went to adding features at an allarming rate, and the bugs increased to record numbers in the beta releases, then I figured it would be years at best before a bug free release would ever come, so I decided to find something else to do until that day arrives.

I did however beta test from before the 2.10 (193-A3) release until the 2.11b12 release, in hopes of seeing a stable release, so I feel I did give it a good chance toward a stable release, it just seems others feel that new features are more important than a release that quality quests can actually be built in.
    It also seems that the ones screaming more more more never release quests, so I have to wonder why their opinions are given priority of the folks that DO build quests and have been asking for several years now for a stable release.

You can say it's become stagnant because of the available graphics if you want, but I believe it has more to do with the fact that every release since the 190 has serious bugs that screw up peoples quests that they invested months of their lives building.
    We are actually having a discussion in the beta forum about this very topic.
    "If anybody says him/her/it without defining what they're talking about, the conversation is automatically about my p.e.n.i.s. :-D" - Wild Bill
    "Design ideas come to me during fetid fits of masturbation." - C-Dawg
    "I want to give NoeL a blowjob! ^_^" - Peteo
    "The magic boob should be mine any minute!" - Koopa
    "Suicide is the most sincere form of self-criticism" - My Film Professor

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.93%

Quote Originally Posted by Pineconn View Post
    This is even found at the ZC website. It's, like, dead. It seems that nobody cares about it.
    We used to have a conversation about this.

:unhappy:
    My quests:
    End of Time - First quest, uses classic graphics (Help/discussion thread)
    Link to the Heavens - Second quest, uses Pure tileset (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)
    End of Time DX - Remake of my first quest (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)

Hacking up an Octorock
    QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.12%

Quote Originally Posted by Pineconn View Post
    We used to have a conversation about this.

:unhappy:
    Yes we did. And we got some answers. But they were short lived. Eckels worked of the Main site for a little bit but what he is doing with it now, if anything at the moment (No offense Eckels, I know you are enjoying your time with your son), now has had no improvement.

I would love see nothing more than to see the main site back up and running again. Especially now that a bug free 2.10 is being worked on. People are going to want to use it again. The thrill of a ZC 2.5 just makes it worse. It would be nice if everything was up and running smoothly again by the time these two things go puplic.

P.S. Sorry about the delay. Been out for a while.
    The ZC.com Database is alive!!
    __________________________________________________ _____

Curent Quest(s) :
    The Ring of Time.
    Working on whistle village.
    __________________________________________________ ______

Need help with bridges? Check out my tutorial HERE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.16%

Well as stated, I may not have enough time, but I have enough time to update a hell of a lot more than what's being done now. Furthermore, I've had experiece running websites before, having a few of my own in the past. I may not be up to speed on a few of the new web languages, but give me the basic instructions on how to update/run, and I'm set to go.
    "If anybody says him/her/it without defining what they're talking about, the conversation is automatically about my p.e.n.i.s. :-D" - Wild Bill
    "Design ideas come to me during fetid fits of masturbation." - C-Dawg
    "I want to give NoeL a blowjob! ^_^" - Peteo
    "The magic boob should be mine any minute!" - Koopa
    "Suicide is the most sincere form of self-criticism" - My Film Professor

Hacking up an Octorock
    QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.12%

The only problem with that is trying to get a hold of Eckels. By what I know, he's the only one that really knows how the main site is supposed to run.

Amen to you if you do manage to grab him. Maybe he'll let you help.
    The ZC.com Database is alive!!
    __________________________________________________ _____

Curent Quest(s) :
    The Ring of Time.
    Working on whistle village.
    __________________________________________________ ______

Need help with bridges? Check out my tutorial HERE

Ultimate Prankster Lucario QDB Manager
    Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.89%

No one's made a decent Metroid quest in years? Wait for my Metroid: The Chozo Prophecy quest. I plan on it being HUGE, and now with scripting, if I can finish this AFTER item scripting comes out, I'll script not only true Metroid-style Beams, but also a true Ice Beam that freezes enemies. About the "getting 8 Triforces and saving Zelda"? My Realm of Mirrors quest has NOTHING to do with Zelda- She most likely won't even be in it! It's about collecting 8 Mirror Hourglasses to save the Realm of Mirrors from an unusal perpetual winter. Nayru's Quest also has nothing to do with Zelda. She will NEVER be seen in it. Instead, you must collect the 8 Triforce Pieces of the Triforce (No witty name for it just yet. ) to gain access to the Star Island Temple so you can save Nayru's new home, Star Island (and it'll have a surprising ending. ). Link the Magician? It starts out with you trying to become Hyrule's greatest Magician. Simple as that (Or is it?). Basically, few of my quests have to do with saving Zelda. Let's see... Adventure in Mysteria does, Legend of the Jewels doesn't, my unnamed quest right now does... and that's it. See? Only Adventure in Mysteria, that unnamed quest, and Adventure in Mysteria DX have to do with saving Zelda. All my other quests have NOTHING to do with that!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.93%

Quote Originally Posted by rocksfan13 View Post
    The only problem with that is trying to get a hold of Eckels. By what I know, he's the only one that really knows how the main site is supposed to run.

Amen to you if you do manage to grab him. Maybe he'll let you help.
    Remember how we tried to get him back in April? Didn't exactly work; he didn't come till July. But IF we can get him and he passes the site to someone reliable (and active), we're set to go.
    My quests:
    End of Time - First quest, uses classic graphics (Help/discussion thread)
    Link to the Heavens - Second quest, uses Pure tileset (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)
    End of Time DX - Remake of my first quest (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.33%

What's the story of Tygore? Didn't they give the site onwership to them and then they just never did anything? Or do I not know what i'm talking about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    81.5%

Basically, what happened was I agreed to run the database and deal with updates, keeping up with submissions, that sort of thing. When I took hold of the site, it took me not very long to figure out that good portions of code had, for lack of a better term, ceased to be functional. While maintaining the site was simple enough, repairing the code was not something I had in mind when I volunteered. Then Eckels came back and said he was going to be fixing the site, at which point I stepped back to let him do his thing, and left running of the site to be something decided after all repairs were made. As you can probably see, Eckels seems to have stopped work and once again we are left in limbo.

I could take a look at the current submissions queue and see if there's anything I can upload, but I can't guarantee it will all work (for instance, when I was handling updates, screenshots wouldn't activate at all and the right-hand update bar wouldn't update).

On a semi-related note, if the person who thinks that the quest submission form is a request form is currently reading this: it's not. No matter how many times you ask Freedom to make your Metal Gear quest or Warlock to make a ZC version of The Wind Waker, it's not going to happen because I never tell them about it, barring them reading this post.
    Oh, if you want it to be possesive, it's just "i-t-s"; but if you want it to be a contraction then it's "i-t-apostrophe-s"... scallawag.

Thread Information