Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    7.26%

Re: Wii Virtual Console

The article says that the Japanese list isn't final. I'd assume the US and European lists aren't either.

Quote Originally Posted by mattwdr View Post
    I know nothing about coding, but how insanely difficult could it be to rework a game for online? Especially if it's already got multiplayer?
    Like Cloral said, it's a bit more complicated than just adding a line that says "Multiplayer" to the source code.

If the individual companies (such as Tecmo - TSB heh heh) reworked them, it would be simple.
    Possibly, most likely not. They'd need the original source code (not a sure thing with older games) to make it 'easy,' and even then, the systems simply weren't designed with online play in mind.

I sometimes feel like Nintendo is run by a bunch of idiots, it makes so much sense to make the games online capable!!! They will sell better too!
    It'd make more sense to consumers and sell better if they cut the price to 50 cents, but that doesn't mean it's gonna happen.

I personally would rather they charge us a yearly fee for a XBL type service., than to continue to ignore the online gaming scene.
    They aren't 'ignoring' it, they just aren't ready yet. You can't just buy a bunch of servers and say, "Okay, we've got online gameplay!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Cyborg
    (didn't notice Warlock's post)
    wtf
    Quote:In addition to the different lineups, there also appear to be some pricing differences between territories. In Japan, Genesis games are going for 600 Wii points. In America, Genesis titles will retail for 800 Wii points. Add in currency differences, and Japanese gamers are paying between two and three dollars less for Genesis titles.

now that's some bullshit right there =/
    Not really. Americans generally get a lower price on everything else, don't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelda64Gld View Post
    FUKC YUO GOAT FUCKRE!!!111

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.08%

I don't mind if it takes a while for games to pop up on the Virtual Console. If they need some more time to improve the games so they work flawlessly (or if they need more time improve the emulators), they can take all the time they need.

It would be nice to play Majora's Mask in high res like from the Zelda Collector's Edition disc minus the frame rate problems and occasional slowdown/crashes. Also, I can't wait for Squaresoft games - I have my fingers crossed for SD3 coming to the VC someday.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.31%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Seriously, wtf:
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/743/743043p1.html

Why does Japan get Super Mario Bros, Super Mario World, ALTTP, Super Castlevania (!), and Super Contra (!!)? Plus a ton more NES/SNES titles than us.
    Because the japanese launch is like 2 weeks after ours, thus actually we will have those games available by then, not at our launch, but by theirs. I agree that it's strange how they get to have all those gems right off the bat out there, but then again we get to start hacking at it weeks ahead of them.

And I certainly hope online play is supported. And it'd be even better if they would hack/tweak certain games like Star Fox 64/Mario Kart 64 so that when played online your screen would take the full screen rather than be split screen.

Robots in Disguise
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    61.32%

If they really wanted to make the VC take off with fans, they should release BS-Zelda and BS-Zelda 3 for it. Possibly even make a BS-style Zelda 1 and 2 (like Super Mario All-Stars).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.36%

Quote Originally Posted by MottZilla View Post
    Because the japanese launch is like 2 weeks after ours, thus actually we will have those games available by then, not at our launch, but by theirs. I agree that it's strange how they get to have all those gems right off the bat out there, but then again we get to start hacking at it weeks ahead of them.
    No, both lists are "up to the end of the year", not launch lists. That arguement doesn't fly.

Also, Nintendo is only supposively adding about 10 games per month. There are more than 10 extra games on there (49 vs our 30), esp considering it's not even a full month afterwards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.16%

While the gameplay will remain unchanged for all of the classic titles offered via the Virtual Console, Nintendo has stated that some of the games may be improved with sharper graphics or better framerates. In addition, gamers may be able to download games that were not previously released in their region, and some multiplayer games may be playable online, if it is technically possible.

At E3 2006's Wii Conference, a Virtual Console demo was shown with the following games being downloaded: The Legend of Zelda, Excitebike, Punch-Out!!, F-Zero, Super Metroid, Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, and Wave Race 64. Whether these games will be available for downloading remains to be seen.
    we'll just have to wait and see.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.31%

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Nation View Post
    If they really wanted to make the VC take off with fans, they should release BS-Zelda and BS-Zelda 3 for it. Possibly even make a BS-style Zelda 1 and 2 (like Super Mario All-Stars).
    If Nintendo still employs people from the SNES era, that's certainly a possibility atleast in japan. Afterall, if hobbyists can hack the ROM, Nintendo's staff shouldn't have a problem with it either and they should have the source code anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    58.27%

If companies are going to take our money for a game they have already made, they need to at least give online play. We are paying money so that they can go and convert these games!!!

If Nintendo simply allows the capability of online VC gaming, then I will be satisfied. The 3rd Party companies who are re-releasing these titles would have to be idiots not to try and incorporate online multiplayer into these titles in the current video game market.

This current market is rampant. I mean, look at how successful XBL Arcade is. Most of the titles are rather weak (there are some great ones), yet Microsoft has reported huge sales. What smart business wouldn't want to copy-cat that success? These 3rd Party companies would jump at that chance.
    4/8. Currently Playing:
    • Final Fantasy X - HD Remaster (PS3)
    • FIFA 14 (360)
    • South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3)
    • MLB The Show 14 (PS3)
    • Terranigma (SNES)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.08%

If companies are going to take our money for a game they have already made, they need to at least give online play. We are paying money so that they can go and convert these games!!!

If Nintendo simply allows the capability of online VC gaming, then I will be satisfied. The 3rd Party companies who are re-releasing these titles would have to be idiots not to try and incorporate online multiplayer into these titles in the current video game market.

This current market is rampant. I mean, look at how successful XBL Arcade is. Most of the titles are rather weak (there are some great ones), yet Microsoft has reported huge sales. What smart business wouldn't want to copy-cat that success? These 3rd Party companies would jump at that chance.
    Hmmm... let's see... I'm a 3rd party company and I can sell my game on the Virtual Console without doing any work and make lots of money, or I could spend some money and allocate the resources of my company to make sure my 10+ year old game is playable online, in the hopes that it will help me sell that much more. Such a tough decision...

Seriously, it's silly to think companies are going to spend a lot of money and resources just to make their old old OLD games playable online through the Virtual Console. I don't know how the Virtual Console works (only Nintendo does), so we can't say whether it's even feasible. I'm sure if it is feasible, we will see some old games get the online treatment, but they don't owe use anything.

Buying a game on the Virtual Console is no different than buying the actual cartidge - you're just getting it through a different means. You're still buying a game. How many times have people re-bought the original Pac-man?

UPDATE: I was thinking, and it's not really fair to compare the VC with X-Box live arcade - at least not in your argument. In the VC, you will be buying the ROMs of old games, and playing them through an emulator. If I had to guess, games on X-Box live are probably written for that console - all those old arcade games (that have already been re-written for numerous systems since their inception) were just ported over. They aren't running in an emulator. Now, I'm not saying we won't see original content delivered for Wii via the Shop Channel, but if we do, I'm sure it will be written for the Wii, and not specifically tied into the VC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    3%

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Still, at 10 games a month (and this list is until the end of December already), that is a long wait for many of them.

I am especially miffed at the lack of SNES titles though. I mean seriously, TWO GAMES? There's not even SMW there which is more bizare. I'm also mad at the lack of N64 titles, but at least we are equal with Japan there. And at least the one they are putting out there is SM64 which is pretty much a requirement
    SMW is a popular GBA game. Why release it for 5ish bucks on the VC when it's still 20 at a gamestore?

I figure... if emulators can play online, it can't be hard for us to play online VC, too. Frankly, if it's not, I'll probobly mostly stick to emulation for classic systems.
    Hey, eat this snail quick

Thread Information