3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.33%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Re: Here's what the overworld looks like so far

However, it will require placing some of it on another Map. (No, it's not what you think. See attachment.)
    Erm... Care to elaborate on the underlined part? (Just out of curiosity, really.) I think that this was exactly what I was thinking. :p I did this before in one of my quests. Pretty damn awesome. You even get to place clouds around the region in general. One thing does strike out at me though; in order to maintain the illusion of a height-based mountain while still at its base, BEHIND the mountain, (I.e. north of it, assuming up is North.) I would imagine that we'd have to either create some tiles of mountains with every other pixel (beginning from halfway up the tile, or 1/3 up, more or less.) transparent, ... or make some mountain tiles transparent and unwalkable to the entire south so they can't scroll down to break the transparent illusion.

... ... In other words, ... When you're behind the mountain, it shouldn't go STRAIGHT UP into the next screen on a layer. It should kinda dissolve into the space above it on that layer, so you know that there's a mountain reaching high up into the sky, but you have little to no problems seeing behind it to the trees or cliffs or whatever behind it as well.

(BTW, awesome looking attachment. :p I love how much effort you put into everything, _L_. I really hope everyone else will follow your example. ^.~ Myself included, of course.)

Winter Wind sounds a little bit like something from the Super Mario Bros' (NES) Castle Levels, where you'd dodge those rotating sticks of fire and fireballs. Pretty awesome. Yeah, we can/should do some snow in some places, but there's also a lot of lava near the south. The snow will be along the middle of the eastern portions of the map. The Northeast is primarily (And vastly so.) blackenned and charred, though not necessarily by fire. So the southeast is mostly volcanic, and the northeast is mostly charred, and everything else "eastwards" in the mountains is snow, due to its very high elevation. The bases of the mountain(s) will be much less cold. (And then some.)

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.65%

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTiger View Post
    Erm... Care to elaborate on the underlined part? (Just out of curiosity, really.) I think that this was exactly what I was thinking. :p
    I expected you to expect the mountain to be expanded off the south boundary of Map 5, and thus into the north of Map elsewhere.

P.S: A bit of lore I dreamed up just now: in ancient times Mt. Frostburn (tentative name, others welcome) was the stronghold of the ancient master wizzrobe,Grymwald. It was created not by the flow of nature but by powerful magic (see also: Kefka, FF6) which forced the Earth itself to grow wrathful and spout its blood at the sky in rage. At its summit shone the Triforce of Power, the power of which allowed Grymwald and his magical kinsmen to imprison the Great Fairies of magic, nature and the elements, and thus become true masters of the world. That is, until Grymwald's eventual surrender to the First King of Hyrule released the Great Fairies. The Triforce of Power was then divided between the eight intelligent races: Humans, Deku, Fairies (includes Kokiri), Moblins (includes Goriyas and whatever race the Darknuts are), Lynels, Gorons, Zoras, and Subrosians. Tokays appeared later in Hyrule's history.)

More than a few hundred years later, Dim reunited the eight (or less) pieces of the Triforce of Power to defeat Saraifour, and twenty years later Miro defeated King Dim and took the Triforce of Power for himself. As Miro's allegiance was always to Calatia and not to Hyrule, he shattered it into more than a hundred pieces, such that it could seemingly never be reformed.

But somehow, over the twenty years that passed between then and now, it has been gathered and carried, piece by piece, back to its original seat at the peak of Mt. Frostburn, where a certain guild of Wizzrobes have noted that the monarchy of Hyrule has disintegrated, and in its absense plan to use the Triforce to regain mastery of the world. However, although the Triforce of Power has just now been completely reformed, the taint of Chaos has interfered with their plans, rendering the Triforce of Power dangerous and unusable.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.39%

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Quick question for _L_.

... Exactly HOW did you generate that map without a mapmaker program? O_o;
    *bump*

_L_, you never did answer my question.. How did you generate that map without a mapmaker program? O_o;

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.65%

Umm... multiple screenshots of View Map in Windowed mode, joined together in AppleWorks Paint?

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    56.72%

Wow, _L_, you're pretty good with overworlds. I've always liked that concept you have there. With the very basic outline of the classic overworld with a contemporary touch of new stuff

I can't wait until this quest is done. This is a dumb question, but will this still be an "open source" quest?

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.33%

Not a single thing in NeoFirst will be "withheld" from public use. Not. One. Thing. That's why I had originally wanted to use completely custom materials, (At least in terms of midis. :p ) But that was sort of ruled out, so we can use VGMidis now.

If you've got anything to contribute, it's never too late. :)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.68%

That is quite possibly the best thing I have ever seen. Now I've got something to look forward to

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.65%

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTiger View Post
    Not a single thing in NeoFirst will be "withheld" from public use. Not. One. Thing. That's why I had originally wanted to use completely custom materials, (At least in terms of midis. :p ) But that was sort of ruled out, so we can use VGMidis now.
    Important rule: only VGMIDIs from Zelda games.

Also, don't use any "leitmotifs" (songs with highly specific context attached, like Ballad of the Wind Fish) out of context.

But, you can use leitmotifs if it's in context (for example, Ice Volvagia could have the OoT "Death Mountain boss" music, or possibly the Zelda 2 boss music. However, take note: NeoFirst's Zelda hates lullabies.)

Also, all four major bosses get their own homebrew themes. Lord Menace maybe gets two.

Currently I'm thinking of using this for the randomly generated desert area. And this for the remaining minibosses.

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    56.72%

Speaking of music, is there anyone officially in charge of assigning music to areas?

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.33%

I don't think so, really. Personally though, I'd rather not have too much classical music in it. Not that it's a bad thing, but I'd rather it sound more epic than nostalgic, audiolly. (Not a word, but whatever.)

I was looking in the lower right corner of what I got from Saffith, (The entire .qst file with his Cave work.) as it's the latest version I've received as of yet, and I noticed something interesting that I don't think was there before. There is a Color Cycling Palette 14, which fades immediately to black and remains there. Did anyone intend this for something? Otherwise I'll just remove it in any future version(s) I come across.

Oh, I also want to create a bunch of new Z items. Just because we can, really. Any thoughts? .. eh, I'll start another thread for it.

Thread Information