Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.7%

Losing my patience..

So, another curiosity; is anyone else finding that as they get older, they start to lack the patience to play longer games? It's strange that I can't really get myself to play games for long periods of time anymore. I just seem to get bored with these long adventures. Granted there are exceptions, but I can't do gaming marathons quite like I used to.

However games that are quick and easy, or multiplayer, I still get hooked on. Lumines. Guitar Hero. Mario Kart. NHL. Katamari. These are all games that I still have lots of fun playing. They really don't require much of a time commitment.

I say this because I just bought Okami, and while it is a very fine game, I just can't make myself sit down and play it for very long. It gets boring, and I don't know why. But yet I can go play and play my SNES games over and over again...

Can anyone relate?
    Link to the Past Tileset for ZC available here: http://www.filespace.org/bam200308/lttptileset2.4.zip

"Lie? Me? Never. The truth is far too much fun."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    89.02%

Re: Losing my patience..

You know, i've actually had the same problem.

Most of the time i would spend playing games has migrated to playing poker. I do still play games reasonably often, but unless it's a really good game, i put it down quickly.
    - goKi

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.68%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

I know what you mean. I've not bothered finishing several games that are rather recent. It's probably part of being older but also part of the fault of more modern games tending to suck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    81.58%

I've noticed it to an extent as well. I think that it's because games these days have become too repetitive, which is the main reason I got excited for the Wii and DS. Nintendo's new approach to games really works out better for me.
    Oh, if you want it to be possesive, it's just "i-t-s"; but if you want it to be a contraction then it's "i-t-apostrophe-s"... scallawag.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.68%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Repetitiveness is ok if what you are doing over and over is fun and well executed. But generally it isn't and is painfully boring, often sluggish which is the biggest flaw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.75%

Personally I've never been one to get engrossed in a game for too long. Sure at times I might fall into a gaming binge, but I tend to get distracted midway through long games. It's alway taken commitment for me to play a game all the way through in one go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    89.95%

I only get engrossed in a game when I'm supposed to be doing something else. If I have genuine free time, I never play video games.
    ...we'd appreciate it if one or both legs were removable so that we could spin you around like a basketball perched on the end of Koby Bryant's middle finger. - T.C. Luoma

My john thomas is gonna pop off and fly around the room there's so much tasty in here! - Jayne

Freedom of Speach? US vs China

Dattebayo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.65%

I used to be able to play the **** out of games. Like FF6, I raised most of my characters to level 99 and did all the sidequests. Can't be bothered to do that anymore. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I have a job now and so I don't have as much free time anymore. I think it also has to do though with the fact that I enjoy other things more like getting outside, so I just don't play games for as long at one sitting as I used to. An hour at a time is about as much as I ever do anymore.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.98%

Too bad for all of you. I've got no problems playing games for 4-5 hours. Well, until now, because school has seriously depleted my free time. I just don't have free time. But on the weekends, I might pick up Wind Waker or Pikmin and play it for a few.

I hope this doesn't prevent you guys from playing Twilight Princess.
    My quests:
    End of Time - First quest, uses classic graphics (Help/discussion thread)
    Link to the Heavens - Second quest, uses Pure tileset (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)
    End of Time DX - Remake of my first quest (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.59%

I too am beginning to suffer from this problem. I play Eve Online a lot and just bought that Okami game but I know that what's going to end up happening is I'll play one, then the other, to the point that I don't want to play either.

In fact this doesn't just apply to games, it seems like this has happened to a lot of other things in my life. A lot of things I used to enjoy now I can't seem to motivate myself to even start. What's funny is once I start on these things I get right back into the obsessive worship I did before and I ask myself why I ever quit, only to be distracted by something else for a few days and I'm back to not wanting to start.

What's wrong with us?

Thread Information