User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Contest: Design the best subscreen(s)!

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.58%

Re: Contest: Design the best subscreen(s)!

To tell the truth, I don't really like Cjc's item circle. Sure it's showy, but the cursor is constrained to linear movement as a result - quickly accessing an item at the other side of the circle would require furious button-pressing. And (most importantly) it can't fit on the same screen as the large dungeon map, requiring the dungeon subscreen to be entirely reworked (and featuring a cramped-looking "item lemniscate" as a result).

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    56.63%

(Taken from post here.)

...Here is the latest. It looks a lot better. I tried to go back and fill in the blanks pixel by pixel (where it needed it) as you can see, I missed some spots. If there is a way to underlay things so I can put something else, sexier than the purple fill in?

EDIT:
    One more:

Quote Originally Posted by From PureZC

HE JUST WON'T STOP!! I know, right?

This is another version. This one was from scratch. I focused on tile blocks instead of 2x2 frames. I may make a "Subscreen 102" tutorial in the near future for slightly more advanced tricks. It'll be a HTML page with screenshots O=

It is very colorful. I will be fixing that 8x8 bar at the top tommorrow.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.31%

_L_, if you're clever enough with the subscreen editor and item position properties you can set it so pressing up or down moves you to the other side of the circle. I was just too lazy to do that at the time.
    And I'll agree, the layout is a bit cramped. Maybe it's not right for Neofirst, but we have plenty of other subscreens to choose from, right?
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Pineconn/Radien, Twilight Princess has a one-up on my circle. As more items are added, it readjusts so that they are equadistant from each other. So, if you have two items one would be on top and the other on the bottom. But, if you got a third item, the one on the bottom would be shifted to the 8:15 position, and a new item would be added at the 3:45 position. ZC is incapable of that.
    Radien, don't feel bad. The DoR tileset is beautiful, I just wanted to make different icons for items (For when I make a quest of my own).
    Tobias_Daboi, your magic meter is cool. I like the subscreen with the tileblocks better than the 2x2 frames; it's more interesting.
    I'm an author. If you're interested in checking out my works, you can find them on Amazon.com:

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.94%

the last shot is the final revamped dungeon screen, only difference
    in the Triforce screen will be the Magic Book tiles, from Rings back
    to a book tile
    -----------------------------------------------------
    NEWEST QUESTS:
    ZC 2.5 build 635+ (Player): Origins III
    visit my web site, for all my quests Einstein Games

Developer
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.58%

Yikes, shadowfall1976's design looks awfully compelling.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.03%

Here's my entry for a passive subscreen.

20 hearts total. A and B graphics are from Mario & Luigi. Only rupees and level keys have permanent counters, weapon ammo is displayed when selected. If this design is used, I suggest giving it a decent-looking background or frame to go around it.
    ~Dart Zaidyer

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.3%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Exclamation Re: Contest: Design the best subscreen(s)!

Hm. I like it, primarily because it's the easiest to implement. :p

Okay; I think it's about time to implement these, .. or at least get started on it.

If you want to see your design in NeoFirst, you'll need to give me the tiles you used. HOWEVER, I'm not accepting straight rips. You'll need to at least meet me halfway and rip them into the NeoFirst set so I at least won't have to recolor them. I'll put it all together myself if you'd like, but we all know that the tiles have to be in exactly the right positions first in each tileset, otherwise it just looks like total garbage when imported. (Just as if you would import a .til from the NewFirst set right into your Pure quest, fresh, without importing anything else. Yeah. You all know what that looks like. (May we never see that again. - -. Amen.)

Now, here's what I think we can do.

I think that we can allot every subscreen here a tiles page. I'll go make a helluva lot of room in NeoFirst, so at least 50 straight pages in a row are free.

Then, I'll assign each subscreen here a tiles page. You'll have your tiles placed on that tiles page in your own copy of NeoFirst.

To recap:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you want to see your Subscreen in NeoFirst,
    Here's what you need to do.

Download This Hollowed Out Copy Of NeoFirst

Look in this post for the number I will assign you. This is a TILES PAGE NUMBER. If you don't see your name here, then simply be patient, or Post in the thread. (Be sure to update your post once you see your name in this post with a tiles page number next to it.)

DO NOT use anyone else's Tiles Page. If two tiles pages overlap, PM me and I'll work it out. It'll end up looking like garbage.

Recolor everything in your subscreen to the NeoFirst's tileset.

Create Labels to show me which Cset everything should go into. If you don't have labels, it's harder to know what it should look like.

Use the Rip feature wherever possible, but only if the end result is how you want it to look. If it crashes for you, save, restart your PC, and try it again.

Okay. Now, when you've got all your graphics ripped sufficiently into this .qst file, take a screenshot of the full Tiles Page in every Cset that you want used. Name it something like:

YOURNAME_YourUniqueSubscreenName_CsetNumber.GIF
    Please ... No PNG's or JPG's. ... ...

Yes, if you can convert it to a .GIF, I'd be grateful. .BMP's are acceptable, but GIF's are preferable. You can use www.irfanview.com to convert them fairly easily, FYI, if you don't already know how.

So once you've got the necessary screenshots, try to build your subscreen in that version using what you've recolored. Reproduce it to the best of your ability. Again, make sure 100% of the entire subscreen is using ONE SINGLE TILES PAGE, the one assigned to you. Otherwise it defeats the entire purpose of all of this. Then Export that as code.

Include the Code for your subscreen (Similarly named, so not to have the same generic name anyone else would use.)

So: Your .zip file should contain the following:

• A .sub file (The exported code for your subscreen.) for EACH of your subscreens that you're submitting. A seperate .sub file per each subscreen.
    • A screenshot of the tiles page in Cset X.
    • A screenshot of the tiles page in Cset X+1.
    • A screenshot of the tiles page in Cset X+2.
    • A screenshot of the tiles page in Cset X+Y. (You get the idea. As many Csets as necessary.)
    • Optional: Text instructions on how to assemble it. Holy crap, if you include these, I'll love you forever.

If I see any screenshots "zelda001.bmp" or "mysubscreen.gif" I'll just assume that you weren't serious about having your subscreen getting in, and just use the included tiles for whatever I feel like. They might get in anyway, but probably not as a subscreen. Just name them as uniquely and logically as you can, okay? Thanks. Really, thanks. Very much.

Again, if you don't see your name here yet, just be patient. I'll most definitely pop up eventually.

(BTW, if anyone knows how to pry your 21 month younger sister off of the PC from playing too many MMORPG's, installing them, trying them, and otherwise hogging the only PC in the house that can build NeoFirst, ... ... please tell me ... I'm getting desperate here. ;_; )

<------------------------------------------------>

Tiles Page 215 Through 216 - Cjc7988: Active, Passive,

Tiles Page 217 - Freedom : Active

Tiles Page 218 - Love For Fire: Active And Passive

Tiles Page 219 Through 220 - Hypercrash: Active Overworld, Active Dungeon, Passive, General Preview Overworld, General Preview Dungeon.

Tiles Page 221 - Questions: Active

Tiles Page 222 Through 224 - Rex Zemenhart / Tobias Dabois: Active Preview, Passive Preview, Active 2

Tiles Page 226 Through 231 - shadowfall1976: Active Overworld, Active Dungeon,

Octorok
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.71%

deleted
    I'm sorry, but I really don't understand your question. I mean I think your grammar is fine, but it's the terminology you're using. They don't fit together, like, "Use the sheep on the log and eat the barn with the house sun."----Shadowtiger----

Wind Waker 2 is canceled on my side... thank god...
    Now, if Amaster42 for some weird reason wants to finish it, ''have fun'' cause I sure as **** won't...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.03%

I think providing screens of individual CSets and instructions to assemble each subscreen is completely unnecessary. The .sub export will already have that information. Only the tilepage would be required.
    ~Dart Zaidyer

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.94%

since I don't use the minimap anymore on the bottom subscreen, I removed
    the Compass from play, and moved the dungeon items down under the map
    and it looks less cluttered now. and I worked the mini map into the overworld
    subscreen, so I moved the God Stones down in a single row to make room for it.

and changed the bottom, from red to blue. so this is my final screen for this
    Quest. I really don't see much more I need to change.
    NEWEST QUESTS:
    ZC 2.5 build 635+ (Player): Origins III
    visit my web site, for all my quests Einstein Games

Thread Information