User Tag List

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Quest Database (sorry about that)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    61.45%

Re: Quest Database (sorry about that)

Here's my idea: Start afresh, and make a temporary forum in the Zelda Classic forums to act like the temporary main site until the actual main site is up again.

Or... just do whatever you think is best. Currently, I'm siding with "scrap the old and bring in new stuff!" The site probably needs an entire overhaul anyways...

EDIT: Yeah... I think I'm gonna re-enforce that with a change in the rating/comment system. Right now... it's uhh... sorta... not so great. I'd move it to a 20 or 50 scale if not 100... 5 with some halves just isn't enough. As for the comments... I think it's a bit obvious.
    Creator of ZURPG, a Zelda game that's influenced by D&D and JRPGs to bring together a unique gameplay system combined with roleplaying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.84%

hope you finally got my pm about the ZC files, Tygore. if not, i'll pm you again, or if i need to upload any additional files, lemme know.

as far as ZC.com, redo it. it was great when first unveiled, but being littered with errors, spam comments, and the overall look is just getting stale.

g'luck.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.07%

Quote Originally Posted by Pineconn
    I'm a little torn on this one... I agree with both sides in some way.

For the "scrap it!" side, I agree because, well, it would be the more efficient way of fixing the QDB problem. The recent QDB is completely screwed up. We don't have a flat tire, we have problems with the engine, transmission, and control panel!

For the "fix it!" side, I agree since people would have to reupload all of the quests. Not only that, but the votes, comments, downloads, and upload/update dates would all be reset.

Which would be the better choice? (Great to hear that you're back, Tygore! :) )
    the person managing the main site can just copy the quests and images off the server and re-upload them later when everything is back to normal... no need for quest designers to re-upload there own quests again.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Hacking up an Octorock
    QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.12%

Quote Originally Posted by franpa
    the person managing the main site can just copy the quests and images off the server and re-upload them later when everything is back to normal... no need for quest designers to re-upload there own quests again.
    The only thing bad about revamping the whole thing, is the stats that some of those quests have. If you wipe it, they'll have to start fresh.

Other than that, if it's that bad, go ahead and wipe it.
    The ZC.com Database is alive!!
    __________________________________________________ _____

Curent Quest(s) :
    The Ring of Time.
    Working on whistle village.
    __________________________________________________ ______

Need help with bridges? Check out my tutorial HERE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.93%

It depends. Is it possible to edit the number of downloads? If so, the current download counter could be set to the correct value if a new ZC.com is created. Comments aren't too important, and votes could be added quickly. (I suppose someone could download each quest the appropriate number of times if the current engine is scrapped. But that would take painstakingly long.) We can always borrow and use the Pure ZC engine. It works.
    My quests:
    End of Time - First quest, uses classic graphics (Help/discussion thread)
    Link to the Heavens - Second quest, uses Pure tileset (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)
    End of Time DX - Remake of my first quest (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)

Hacking up an Octorock
    QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.12%

It's all nice that you want to have the site fixed, Tygore. But what of the Database being updated? Are you still monitoring that?

Curent Quest(s) :
    The Ring of Time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.25%

yeah thats kind of what my thinking is too
    You took JayeM's job her job was to upload quests ........ the database issue was left to myth.... ( sorry lost his name ) but he moved on cause his questions weren't answered .
    If he was answered maybe the questdatabase was already back in full function by now . :googly:

Robots in Disguise
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    61.72%

I believe that what is needed is a database team.

Manager - This person organizes the team. Hires/replaces team members. Deals with conflicts. Delegates jobs. Finds people who can solve problems. This could even be two or three people to allow for checks and balances and to make sure someone is always available to get things done if a manager is gone (sickness/vacations/etc.)

Programmer - Again, could be more than one person. This person either codes the database from scratch or finds a database somewhere and modifies it for use here. They add new features to the database and fix things that are broken.

Database Front End Designer - Again, could be multiple people and could even be one or more of the programmers if they are also good at layout and design issues. This person designs the look of the database. Obviously, strong web design skills are a must. This person passes their designs on to the programmer(s) who then code the back end of the database.

Quest Uploader - Again, could be a team. This person's only responsibility is to upload quests, descriptions and screen shots. People would submit quests to them complete with descriptions and screen shots and this person would upload them to the database. An alternative idea would be to give everyone upload rights and have this person moderate quests. Instead of uploading quests every day, they simply log into the database and are presented with a list of uploads for the day. Clicking accept on an upload moves it from the waiting area into the database.

Database Assistant - This person (could be more than one) handles questions about the database. They clarify suggestions and pass them on to the Database Front End Designer or the Programmer. Ideally, they would be the only link between the database users and the rest of the team.

Thoughts/suggestions? If the database truly is in limbo right now (nobody is currently doing any sort of work on it and hasn't for some time), then I volunteer to assemble the team to get things going again.

Hacking up an Octorock
    QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.12%

Dark Nation, truely a magnificent idea! Top of the top! This is definately something that needs to be done! A++ man!
    I totally agree 100% with this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Nation
    An alternative idea would be to give everyone upload rights and have this person moderate quests
    The only issue there is you could easily get fake or demo quests uploaded. Where the DB is for finished quests only. Just a thought.

And would like to volunteer as either a Quest Updater or DB Assistant, or both.

Curent Quest(s) :
    The Ring of Time.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    50.11%

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Nation
    I believe that what is needed is a database team.

Manager - This person organizes the team. Hires/replaces team members. Deals with conflicts. Delegates jobs. Finds people who can solve problems. This could even be two or three people to allow for checks and balances and to make sure someone is always available to get things done if a manager is gone (sickness/vacations/etc.)

Programmer - Again, could be more than one person. This person either codes the database from scratch or finds a database somewhere and modifies it for use here. They add new features to the database and fix things that are broken.

Database Front End Designer - Again, could be multiple people and could even be one or more of the programmers if they are also good at layout and design issues. This person designs the look of the database. Obviously, strong web design skills are a must. This person passes their designs on to the programmer(s) who then code the back end of the database.

Quest Uploader - Again, could be a team. This person's only responsibility is to upload quests, descriptions and screen shots. People would submit quests to them complete with descriptions and screen shots and this person would upload them to the database. An alternative idea would be to give everyone upload rights and have this person moderate quests. Instead of uploading quests every day, they simply log into the database and are presented with a list of uploads for the day. Clicking accept on an upload moves it from the waiting area into the database.

Database Assistant - This person (could be more than one) handles questions about the database. They clarify suggestions and pass them on to the Database Front End Designer or the Programmer. Ideally, they would be the only link between the database users and the rest of the team.

Thoughts/suggestions? If the database truly is in limbo right now (nobody is currently doing any sort of work on it and hasn't for some time), then I volunteer to assemble the team to get things going again.
    Would that mean at least 5 more Mods?

Thread Information