User Tag List

Thread: Please remind me how to save ......

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    40.99%

Please remind me how to save ......

Do the Zelda games save the game progress automatically, or must the player specifically request the game progress be saved manually? If manually, how do I do it while playing a game?

Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.96%

Re: Please remind me how to save ......

Yep, you have to do it manually. You can either die and select Save, or you can press F6, which will act as dying (without the death counter going up), to save.
    My quests:
    End of Time - First quest, uses classic graphics (Help/discussion thread)
    Link to the Heavens - Second quest, uses Pure tileset (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)
    End of Time DX - Remake of my first quest (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    40.99%

Ah.... thanks. I guess I saw that F6 was greyed out in the menu.... but I never looked at it after I started a game ..... thanks

I load a custom quest, started the game, moved through a few screens and then save the game. When I restart the game, it seems to restart me at the beginning. Is this a problem or simply how the saving mechanism works. I would assume it would place me exactly where I last was in the game, but this is not the case .....

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    50.18%

I load a custom quest, started the game, moved through a few screens and then save the game. When I restart the game, it seems to restart me at the beginning. Is this a problem or simply how the saving mechanism works. I would assume it would place me exactly where I last was in the game, but this is not the case .....
    I'm afraid that's how the original NES game was made... although some quests have a 'Continue Here' feature in their individual DMAP's, which will start you at a pre-defined position.

The ability to save on individual screens (savestates) has been mentioned, but probably won't be implemented for a while - unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.62%

It generally works like this: if you save in the overworld, you restart at the beginning point. If you save in a level, you restart at the level's entrance. Individual quests may have exceptions to the rule though, so don't be surprised if you play a custom quest and you don't restart where you expected to.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.96%

Of course, you know, being able to save in an exact location shouldn't be too difficult to implement anyway. Just assign Link's postion a Dmap value, screen value, XY-coordinate value, and retain all the triggered events (so that you don't save on a bridge that appeared, then when you continue, the bridge is gone and you're stuck). I don't know about the ZC code, so maybe this would be hard. Knowing how messy and unorganized the code is, maybe not.
    My quests:
    End of Time - First quest, uses classic graphics (Help/discussion thread)
    Link to the Heavens - Second quest, uses Pure tileset (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)
    End of Time DX - Remake of my first quest (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)

Thread Information