User Tag List

Thread: Sequel to Adventure in Mysteria: Any ideas?

Ultimate Prankster Lucario QDB Manager
    Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.86%

Sequel to Adventure in Mysteria: Any ideas?

I'm going to go ahead and make a sequel to my quest, Adventure in Mysteria. I'll try to make it at least LOOK better than the first, but I have some questions:
    1: What tileset do you want me to use? The tileset of the original, or a Pure Tileset? Or something else? Just make sure it looks good.
    2: What stuff from the first do you want me to keep, and which do you want me to keep, but change slightly? And what new stuff would YOU add?
    3: Should I make cutscenes?
    4: Should the people who talk use strings, or tiles with letters and symbols?
    5: (Add whatever else you want here, if possible.)

Your feedback will help, and I'll TRY to remember your username for the credits.

Edit: I need to mention something. If you want to give me an idea, please don't give me one for a story. I already have most of that planned out as is. Once I get started on the quest, I'll give you all the story, which means that I'm going to need to know if you all want a Pure tileset for this quest or the Newfirst tileset (or any other tileset you want.).

Okay, I think I'd better go ahead and give you all the story, since giving you that will help you decide on the tileset I should use. Basically, the overworld (every last area of it) is affected by what's in the story, or, put simply, the whole entire overworld is covered in a think, dense mist. It won't clear up until you complete each dungeon, and only the area the dungeon is in will have the mist cleared up. The last dungeon will probably be in the center of the overworld, so you'd have to clear each area of mist around the center to get to the last area.
    Okay, here's a basic form of the story (but like I said, it's not complete, so I'll just simplify the stuff for you):
    (How to make it simple? Hmmm....)

Well, the story starts out with some crazy, weirdo scientist talking to himself about hating the residents of Mysteria, so he formulates a plan to gain control of the entire island. His plan is to cover the island in a mysterious fog, one that will cause the people to run scared. Of course, he knows that fog isn't dangerous, so he tells the islanders to obey him and call him ruler of the island, or he'll put poison in the fog, which will leave only him. The islanders do the "smart" thing and do what he says. Then, he decides to go after the rest of the world. He sends his demands to places all over the world, starting with... Hyrule. Link is informed of this and sent back to Mysteria. What he finds is an odd fog. He goes toward the source, to a new area of the island he didn't go to last time. And thus, the quest starts and all that. So, with the story, will someone please give me a suggestion on what tileset to use?

I think I'll start on the quest now. I'll start with the Newfirst tileset (I'm tempted to call it my "Mysteria" tileset since that's the only quest I currently have that uses it), but switch to any other tileset if anyone wants a different tileset than the first.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.24%

Re: Sequel to Adventure in Mysteria: Any ideas?

Use Pure, dont use Newfirst, it isnt a real looker.

Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.86%

Quote Originally Posted by VI3T_DR@GON
    Use Pure, dont use Newfirst, it isnt a real looker.
    Well, some people said that the orginal was "made in the right tileset", so I'm using newfirst for now. Who knows, this quest could be better in Newfirst than in Pure.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.24%

Use some tiles from Pure, and put them in your quest. Keep Newfirst as your main, but take the Link tiles and others, so it will look decent.

Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.86%

Quote Originally Posted by VI3T_DR@GON
    Use some tiles from Pure, and put them in your quest. Keep Newfirst as your main, but take the Link tiles and others, so it will look decent.
    Okay... I'll try, but it won't look right.... Especially since I'd have to find a way to use the BS Animation rule in 2.10, which is the only version I will currently have. I will not get another version just so I can enable one rule. And I don't care about the looks right now. It's only a test right now. Yeesh. I've named the quest "Mysteria2beta", so I know that it's only for a demo right now. After I get more ideas and release the demo, THEN I'll use the Pure tilesets (and I know just the one...).

Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.86%

Ta-da! Here's a little "demo" of the quest. This isn't in any way like what the real quest is going to be like, especially since I threw this together in a matter of minutes, if not an hour. Note the blue on each screen. That's the fog mentioned in the story. Also, I'll never tell you what the name of the weirdo scientist in the story is. You can find that out in the quest when it's done, and even then, I still won't tell you! It's a secret for now. Oh, and in the real quest, the fog in each area will be lifted when you beat the dungeon in the area. Take note of the object you get at the end of the 3 dungeons in the demo. They short, but I just wanted to show you some of the things I'm going to do, like the fog and the item that is used in place of the Triforce. If you want to know what it is, play the demo and then ask me. And don't complain that you get the Hammer at the start of Level 3. It's a demo. Oh, and I haven't come up with any names for the dungeons or overworld areas (except the last area. It has the bad guy's name in it, so....), so if you want to give me a suggestion, by all means, do it. I'm going to have a desert area, a water-filled area, a mountain area, a snow area, a plains/grassland-like area, a fire area (or volcano if that's what you want to call it), another sky area, and the wide ocean off the coast. These will be where the dungeons are. Now, for the link...

http://www.geocities.com/pikachu_fan_13/Mysteria2.zip

Okay, here's my new ideas for the areas of the game, but if I don't mention a name, then I don't have one. By all means, give me an idea for them! Here they are (and the areas are final):
    A huge Jungle area (must have Jungle in the name). This is Area 1.
    A vast desert area (must have Desert in the name). This is Area 2.
    A volcano that is active. This will be Area 3.
    The sky above the island, which will be Area 4.
    The ocean outside the island, and the main part, a huge Iceberg. These make Area 5.
    A secret place hidden under the ocean. I hope it makes you think of the story of Atlantis, because that's the name of Area 6.
    A cavern located on the west side of the Island. This is Area 7.
    An observatory located in the middle of this section of Mysteria. This is Area 8, and can only be reached by going through the giant tunnels beneath the ground.
    The location of the final battle, a seemingly deserted sattelite hovers over the world. This is Area 9, which can only be reached by special means.... The sattelite has been rigged to fire the fog that covers Mysteria at any location on the planet...
    The tunnels beneath the ground of Mysteria connect each and every area of the island. This isn't one of the main areas of the quest. The first entrance is hidden near the first dungeon, in the jungle. You must navigate these tunnels to get to Area 8.

...And that's all. Unless you count the secret area that doesn't exist.

Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.86%

I hate to post again, and please forgive me for this, but it's the only way to get people to see this thread, since no one's posted here for almost a full week...

I'm starting on the actual quest now. The tileset will be a Pure tileset, but I still need some names for the areas. I already have a name for the observatory (Astrological Observatory is what will be the DMap name; the actual name of the place will be The Astrological Observatory of Mysteria, or something like that...), but as for everything else... I have nothing. Oh, and I thought I should mention:
    There will be towns/villiages in these areas:
    Area 1 (The forest)
    Area 4 (The sky)
    Area 5 (Ocean+Iceberg, but the town is on the Iceberg)
    Area 6 (You should know)

If you want, you can give me some suggestions for the names. Also, here's some more questions I would like answered:

6: What should be the boss of each dungeon? Should they all be the same enemies, different enemies, or custom bosses? Before you answer that, each dungeon except 8 (the Astrological Observatory) has 2 bosses: one that gives you a Heart Container and activates the second boss, and one that gives you the Triforce piece item, with the boss being a custom boss. It will be a cannon that fires lasers at you and is vulerable only to the item you get from the dungeon, which leads to the next question...
    7: What should be the dungeon item in each dungeon? Remember that this affects the custom boss at the end of each dungeon (except 8, because it has a very special boss, and after beating it, one of the people who works at the Observatory gives you the Triforce piece), which, by the way, can be found early in the dungeon, but it can't be attacked until you beat the other boss of the dungeon. THAT leads to question 8.
    8: How should I activate the Cannon at the end of Levels 1-7? Should I use Boss Flags or should I use warps and more DMaps?
    9: Should there be extra bosses around the overworld that can sometimes block your path, but give you items when they're defeated? If you have a hard time understanding what I mean, think of the Big Octos in The Wind Waker. This would be the idea applied here-a boss monster pops up from out of nowhere and attacks you, and you can't escape until you do. When it's defeaed, an item appears.

By the way, there will be one last Cannon in the last area. It'll be the most powerful one, so that leads to another question:
    10: How strong do you think the final cannon should be? Should you have to use almost all of your items to destroy it, or should it be vulnerable to a new dungeon item?

Thanks in advance for your help.

More questions:
    11: Should the player start in a town that is safe from the mist surrounding all the areas?

This question is the most important of them all, as it will affect the story:
    12: What do you think should be the name of the evil, crazy scientist in the quest? I have an idea, but it's stupid. Just be sure the name starts with "Dr.".

One more question for now:
    13: In your opinion, what colors make the best look of mist? I'm using layers 5 and 6 for the mist, but if you have a combonation of colors, make sure that you put the one to put on layer 5 first. I'm sure that the colors would look different depending on how they're layered. Oh, and I believe the tileset I'm using now is the PTU tileset. I think... Or should I switch to/use Lost Woods tiles from the LTTP tileset? I know that the Lost Woods had mist in it in A Link to the Past, so...

I don't know why I'm editing this, but I thought I might tell you guys a little something about some bosses and some music...

Well, first off, you'll face the boss of each dungeon twice the quest, once the dungeon and a final time at the Sattelite, and each boss is harder at the Sattelite. Some may be able to withsatnd more hits, and some will have more attack patterns. Both are true for the boss in the Observatory, but it has an extra surprise-Not only do its old attacks do more damage, but it has new attacks that do even more damage (up to double that of the old attacks!!)! Put that together with a final attack that instantly defeats you, and you've got a hard boss. However, it'll only use that attack after a while. If you can't defeat it quickly, it'll defeat you. And what is the attack? It jumps up and slams the floor so hard, it destroys the floor and sends you into space. He has jetpacks, of course. How do you think he'd be able to get to the Sattelite? The last boss will be different. Once you find him, he'll run at you crazy and just can just hit him. Then it gets wierd. I won't tell anymore about the fight except this: There will be 3 phases to the battle. If you get to the final boss, be prepared to fight a long fight. Now, there will be no less than 5 MIDIs for boss music. One is for Dungeon Boss. Another is for the Cannon at the end of each dungeon. Boss Theme 3 is Boss Repeat, the part of the Sattelite you go through that pits you against all 8 bosses all over again. Theme 4 is the Super Cannon you battle after the Boss Repeat. Finally, Boss Theme 5 is Final Boss-Phase 1. Since there's 3 phases of the battle against the final boss, there will be more boss music, but I haven't decided on it yet. However, there's still one boss left after all that. After you beat the final boss, you can go to a new area-the Aurora Borealis. It is here that you face another Boss Repeat. It is the Ultra Boss Repeat, and it pits you against no less than 16 bosses. That's right: SIXTEEN. You'll face each boss from the Satellite's Boss Repeat at the same strength they were at there. After that, you get a chance to heal. The next part is long and hard. Each boss now has more new attacks, plus one extra Instant-Death attack. After beating these 16 bosses, you face yet another repeat- Cannon Repeat. You face all 8 cannons in the quest. Then, you face the last phase of the final boss again, but in spirit form. However, defeating it leads to the last battle of the quest- The soul of the Final Boss. This is phase 4, and only found here. It starts out as the normal final boss. You beat all 3 forms, then the last form, which I cannot say, for it will ruin the quest! Just know this: It will be immensly hard.

Thread Information