User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Cjc Proposes... an interactive overworld

  1. #1
    Cor Blimey! CJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Fading into the darkness
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,398
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    6,620
    Level
    25
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.28%

    Cjc Proposes... an interactive overworld

    I had originally concocted this idea for the Forest dungeon, to have an event that sets the dungeon ablaze and then later burn out into a desert, but it was too... gimmicky.

    Instead, why not apply it to the world map?
    How about the world around the final dungeon is a rainforest at the start of the quest, with Giant trees blocking the entrance.
    After completing the 'Simple' (First) dungeon, the forest catches on fire. Venturing further into the area would now be possible, but the final dungeon would still be blocked by burning trees. Also, it would give a chance to show off fog effects and underfoot damage combos (Can't breath very well in a burning forest!)
    Finally, after beating the 'Gimmick' (Second) dungeon, the fires would burn out and the rainforest would be left as a burned-out wasteland. Access to the final dungeon would at last be possible, and it would look awesome in the process.

    So the question is, can it be done? I'm sure somebody knows how.
    I'm an author. If you're interested in checking out my works, you can find them on Amazon.com:


  2. #2
    Ultimate Prankster Lucario QDB Manager
    Just registered
    Nimono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Static Void Kingdom
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,963
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    6,275
    Level
    24
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.76%

    Re: Cjc Proposes... an interactive overworld

    Quote Originally Posted by Cjc7988
    I had originally concocted this idea for the Forest dungeon, to have an event that sets the dungeon ablaze and then later burn out into a desert, but it was too... gimmicky.

    Instead, why not apply it to the world map?
    How about the world around the final dungeon is a rainforest at the start of the quest, with Giant trees blocking the entrance.
    After completing the 'Simple' (First) dungeon, the forest catches on fire. Venturing further into the area would now be possible, but the final dungeon would still be blocked by burning trees. Also, it would give a chance to show off fog effects and underfoot damage combos (Can't breath very well in a burning forest!)
    Finally, after beating the 'Gimmick' (Second) dungeon, the fires would burn out and the rainforest would be left as a burned-out wasteland. Access to the final dungeon would at last be possible, and it would look awesome in the process.

    So the question is, can it be done? I'm sure somebody knows how.
    I'm sure whoever's working on the quest would be intent on using Boss Flags to trigger those events, but in my opinoion, I like that! But why stop with just the final area? Why not affect the WHOLE overworld? Why not have little events between each dungeon, like stopping a gang from destroying something, or something more serious, like saving someone that was kidnapped by one of the bosses (the boss could be made weaker for the event, but at the difficulty the boss is supposed to be when you REALLY fight it)?

  3. #3
    On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Southeastern New York
    Posts
    12,231
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    29,578
    Level
    46
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.29%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

    Re: Cjc Proposes... an interactive overworld

    I'm tempted to say "WOW," but I'm also tempted to say, "No." but the premise is very interesting. It'd be rather complex, as it'd require a copy of the overworld to be created for this.

    I'll decide on it when I have more of the quest completed. This, while impressive, is a pretty major step I had never envisioned us taking. (Just FYI.)

  4. #4
    Ultimate Prankster Lucario QDB Manager
    Just registered
    Nimono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Static Void Kingdom
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,963
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    6,275
    Level
    24
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.76%

    Re: Cjc Proposes... an interactive overworld

    Quote Originally Posted by Britannianhero4
    I'm tempted to say "WOW," but I'm also tempted to say, "No." but the premise is very interesting. It'd be rather complex, as it'd require a copy of the overworld to be created for this.

    I'll decide on it when I have more of the quest completed. This, while impressive, is a pretty major step I had never envisioned us taking. (Just FYI.)
    I, for one, will not "wait patiently" for it to happen. It's not like you HAVE to do all that. But then again, most of the best things are rarely expected....

  5. #5
    On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Southeastern New York
    Posts
    12,231
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    29,578
    Level
    46
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.29%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

    Re: Cjc Proposes... an interactive overworld

    Well, if you're not going to "wait patiently," then what are you going to do? :p Want to go designing up some room plans? Possible locations for heart container pieces around the world? Choose something. :p

  6. #6
    Ultimate Prankster Lucario QDB Manager
    Just registered
    Nimono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Static Void Kingdom
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,963
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    6,275
    Level
    24
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.76%

    Re: Cjc Proposes... an interactive overworld

    Quote Originally Posted by Britannianhero4
    Well, if you're not going to "wait patiently," then what are you going to do? :p Want to go designing up some room plans? Possible locations for heart container pieces around the world? Choose something. :p
    What I meant was, I'm not going to expect you to use with the ideas posted in this thread. Oh, and out of curiousity, why would you ask me those last 2 questions?

  7. #7
    On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Southeastern New York
    Posts
    12,231
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    29,578
    Level
    46
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.29%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

    Re: Cjc Proposes... an interactive overworld

    It's pretty much a yes or no question. :p Do you want to help design NeoFirst? ... or are you mostly an idea contributor, and want to see things done in your own way? I mean, either is fine really. It couldn't hurt to have ideas. The more the merrier, really. Just, some things are more "possible" than others in the allotted time.

    So would you like to help plan things out a little bit? :) Every little bit helps. ^_^

  8. #8
    Ultimate Prankster Lucario QDB Manager
    Just registered
    Nimono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Static Void Kingdom
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,963
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    6,275
    Level
    24
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.76%

    Re: Cjc Proposes... an interactive overworld

    Quote Originally Posted by Britannianhero4
    It's pretty much a yes or no question. :p Do you want to help design NeoFirst? ... or are you mostly an idea contributor, and want to see things done in your own way? I mean, either is fine really. It couldn't hurt to have ideas. The more the merrier, really. Just, some things are more "possible" than others in the allotted time.

    So would you like to help plan things out a little bit? :) Every little bit helps. ^_^
    That's what I thought you meant. I'm not sure if I do. I've got my own quests to work with, and I'm taking a break from making quests for right now because of the fact that I can't get any ideas, and when I do, I go into ZQuest, work around a tiny bit, then close it out and play with my emulator... I WOULD like to help, though.

  9. #9
    On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Southeastern New York
    Posts
    12,231
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    29,578
    Level
    46
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.29%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

    Re: Cjc Proposes... an interactive overworld

    Perhaps you can plan out the difficulty scale through out the quest? For example, plan out by when the player will have -X- number of Heart Containers, both permanent and/or attained from bonus Heart Container Pieces, etc. Ring/Armor acquisition opportunities, and also locations of Magic Containers.

    Basically plot out how strong you think the player could/should be through out the quest, as well as looking for opportunities for advancement, and when the player is able to access them.

    Remember: The following items are attained in Level one:
    1) Red Candle.
    2) Hookshot.

    Level two:
    1) Ladder.
    2) Raft.
    3) Magic Hammer.

    Level three:
    1) Bow 1 and Wooden Arrows.
    2) L1 Amulet.
    3) Bow 2 and Silver Arrows.

    You can get Slash and Double Magic by the time you get the Red Candle, so you can just leave in the middle of Level 1 (Forest Temple.) to go get lots of your quest items. I plan on having a LOT of things burnable in the quest.

  10. #10
    Ultimate Prankster Lucario QDB Manager
    Just registered
    Nimono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Static Void Kingdom
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,963
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    6,275
    Level
    24
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.76%

    Re: Cjc Proposes... an interactive overworld

    Quote Originally Posted by Britannianhero4
    Perhaps you can plan out the difficulty scale through out the quest? For example, plan out by when the player will have -X- number of Heart Containers, both permanent and/or attained from bonus Heart Container Pieces, etc. Ring/Armor acquisition opportunities, and also locations of Magic Containers.

    Basically plot out how strong you think the player could/should be through out the quest, as well as looking for opportunities for advancement, and when the player is able to access them.

    Remember: The following items are attained in Level one:
    1) Red Candle.
    2) Hookshot.

    Level two:
    1) Ladder.
    2) Raft.
    3) Magic Hammer.

    Level three:
    1) Bow 1 and Wooden Arrows.
    2) L1 Amulet.
    3) Bow 2 and Silver Arrows.

    You can get Slash and Double Magic by the time you get the Red Candle, so you can just leave in the middle of Level 1 (Forest Temple.) to go get lots of your quest items. I plan on having a LOT of things burnable in the quest.
    Well, I'm not so sure if I should be the one to plan the difficulty. Unfortunately, my idea of hard would be the average person's SUPER HARD. I like things difficult. But only because most of the time, I can beat a new game within 24 hours. But that dcoesn't count getting 100%, only beating the final boss. That, and I like to hide some stuff in the dungeons, leaving little for the overworld. Oh, and I'm wondering, how many Heart Containers are you planning on having in the quest? Fore some reason or another, I find that having 24 Heart Containers makes a quest too easy...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Armageddon Games is a game development group founded in 1997. We are extremely passionate about our work and our inspirations are mostly drawn from games of the 8-bit and 16-bit era.
Social