2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.44%

Re: The First Dungeon: Theme.

Quote Originally Posted by algam86
    I really like the Treasure Dungeon idea. Forest temples are okay...but let's break tradition a little. Besides, I've never heard of that kind of dungeon, and it sounds like a good idea. Though, assuming the treasure box is square, they'll probably be either square rooms, or one large, open space with glittery floors and pillars, a ladder letting you get through the top through a hole or something.
    No, I didn't mean the shape of the rooms is the same as the shape of the Treasure Chest, I meant that the dungeon itself (when you look at the map) looks like a Treasure Chest.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    5.46%

Heh, I was throwing out an idea. I didn't exactly mean for it to be entirely agreeable with what you were saying...I was figuring 'why not actually try and make it look like a treasure chest' instead of just the map...

But then, it's your dungeon idea.
    Eh. Nothing really important to write here.

Ultimate Prankster Lucario QDB Manager
    Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.44%

Quote Originally Posted by algam86
    Heh, I was throwing out an idea. I didn't exactly mean for it to be entirely agreeable with what you were saying...I was figuring 'why not actually try and make it look like a treasure chest' instead of just the map...

But then, it's your dungeon idea.
    Oh, well, I'm sorry. It's a good idea, though, but here's a problem with it: Smaller rooms mean less room for puzzles and traps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    98.72%

Forest Temple, it's a good way to start the quest I think...

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    73.18%

Quote Originally Posted by pikaguy900
    Oh, well, I'm sorry. It's a good idea, though, but here's a problem with it: Smaller rooms mean less room for puzzles and traps.
    I think it's pushing it to stretch a puzzle over one screen on the first level anyway, so square rooms shouldn't really be a problem in that sense. Not that I'm saying we AREN'T going to push puzzles beyond one screen, because we ARE, but maybe that trick should be held over for level 2, the gimmick dungeon? Also, define what you mean by traps? :p I'm assuming you aren't talking about the enemy?

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.17%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Guys. The first dungeon is a NORMAL Dungeon! No Gimmick. :p "Treasure chest dungeon" is a gimmick! :p XD

The theme of the dungeon won't have a special gimmick. No. Not at all. Visually, it can be anything we want, though it'd probably have to be at least half to 3/4 dungeon walls and such. That doesn't mean it can't be 1/4-1/3 forest though. Hell, I'd love for it to be a forest temple with TONS of gardens, trees, overhead leaves, ... ... fountains. <3 ... Nothing at all stopping us from doing that. Thing is, it just can't have a gimmick.

Examples of Themes:
    • Castle - C-Dawg's Sabotage Dragoon's Moblin Castle. (I forget its name. )
    • Excavated Fire Temple - Teilyr's CoD Demo, Level 1.
    • Forest Dungeon - DarkFlameWolf's Isle Of The Winds, L2.

Examples of Gimmicks:

• The entire dungeon changes when you flip a switch or step on a button. (C-Dawg's Sabotage Dragoon's Grand Kettle - Three levels of heat intensity, three different copies of the same dungeon.
    • A "Before" and "After" dungeon - Petoe's MMDWR's Level 1, where you turn on the electricity, and your progress through the level changes dramatically.
    • Raising and Lowering Water Levels: Shoelace's Hero Of Dreams L5 Demo.

The first dungeon of NeoFirst WILL be a "Theme" Dungeon. It will not have any gimmicks at all. The second dungeon of NeoFirst will be a Gimmick dungeon, and may or may not be themed.

Each individual room may have its own unique puzzle though. Anything we can do to show off ZC 2.11's capabilities, we can do. We just need to structure it. :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.27%

How about a desert dungeon? A number of rooms could have sand on the ground where you could use lots of sand-type enemies like Leevers and Lanmolas. Its a nice, simple theme that lets you do pretty much whatever you want with it.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.73%

Hmmm, Z1's Level 2, eh? That would be a perfect place to show off conveyers and the "Land Zora" trick. Maybe even some sandfalls you can force your way through? Like the Waterfall in Z1, except as a Walkthrough Wall instead? Sounds like a good theme for a standard-fare dungeon to me...
    Crash Man is the coolest Robot Master ever! Well, aside from Skull Man, Elec Man, Quick Man, Gemini Man, Shadow Man... ahh, forget it!

Megaman: "Who cares if it's peacetime? You're an inventor, damnit - MAKE SOMETHING!"
    Dr Light: " 'Necessity is the mother of invention.' "
    Megaman: "Good, I'm hungry. Go invent me a sandwich."

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    73.18%

Quote Originally Posted by Britannianhero4
    Guys. The first dungeon is a NORMAL Dungeon! No Gimmick. :p "Treasure chest dungeon" is a gimmick! :p XD
    Not the way I was thinking, BH4. I was thinking of the rooms looking like treasure chests, because of the walls. Although, thinking back, I guess that'd be kind of bland, since the biggest part of the treasure chest is the lid, and it'd have to be open for you to be able to SEE what you're doing.

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.17%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Quote Originally Posted by Rakki
    Not the way I was thinking, BH4. I was thinking of the rooms looking like treasure chests, because of the walls. Although, thinking back, I guess that'd be kind of bland, since the biggest part of the treasure chest is the lid, and it'd have to be open for you to be able to SEE what you're doing.
    That would still be a gimmick. :p It simply wouldn't be at all "normal." It would involve thinking the phrase "Whoah, funky." throughout your treks. It'd still feel like a gimmick if it wasn't a normal type dungeon. I mean, what'd you put in it to make it seem like a treasure chest? Gears? :p (Actually, that would be a good idea, but how would it work? ... Oh, I know. But still, that's definitely a gimmick.)

Ideas need both graphical representation and practical representation. Can't have one without the other. Even then, it needs to fit in the right category.

Thread Information