3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.33%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

The First Dungeon: Theme.

Alright. This question will also help us to plan out our overworld, as whatever theme this dungeon will have, it'll obviously tend to match up with the theme of the overworld that it's placed in. Thus, we need to decide what theme this first dungeon will be.

Anyone ever play Teilyr's CoD Demo, or Revenge 2? Hidden Duality? LinkTheMaster's Night Rod Demo? ... If you have, this dungeon will be very similar to those. It'll be a standard dungeon romp Dungeon, with the usual hunt for keys, the map, the compass, bombing walls, killing enemies to reveal secrets, solving puzzles, etc. The dungeon won't necessarily have a "Gimmick," such as raising or lowering water levels. It's supposed to be something attainable to the relatively new ZC user, while still teaching proper level design and puzzle schematics.

Thus: I ask you all, ... ... ... what's your favorite theme? Let's just get a big ball of opinions rolling, and we can sort them out when we begin to get a grasp of what people love to see. :)

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    45.31%

Re: The First Dungeon: Theme.

A regular castle maybe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    87.81%

A basic Forest Temple/Earth Temple... that kind of stuff? :)

So you're gonna build the quest in a way that eg the first level is a very simple, basic Zelda dungeon that shows newbies the most common and basic features of ZC. And then the next level starts concentrating more on some new and complex features... like multiple warping, combo cycling etc... and then there's one level which shows how to use catwalks, one dungeon which shows how to use the reset combo effectively (blue/red pole lowering/raising dng?) and so on?

At least in my opinion that would be a good way to go. Concentrate on a few specific tricks/features per level, dont scatter them all around the quest...
    --------------------
    "GET a stable version, THEN add more with the builds, DON'T just keep adding bloat to something that doesn't work already.
    Has common sense just left the building, or what?" -Freedom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.45%

The first level, imo, should be something typical of the Zelda series. I like the forest temple idea most myself. Like Petoe said, I'd suggest we keep the tricks down to a minimum in the first dungeon (not much more than your basic bombable wall and locked doors), then get more advanced in later ones.

So, my vote is forest temple.
    Koopa - former member of AGN and retired ZC developer.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    77.9%

I agree, to a certain extent however. I think new features should be shown off right away. Perhaps if the bow & arrow is found in the first dungeon, there could be targets such as an eye that cycle, along with inherent flags, so you must hit the target when its at a certain stage in its cycle (such as when an eye is open and not closed)

You could also have treasure chests & treasure chests that appear as secrets when enemies are defeated or a trigger is set off. These are simple, yet not something that would have been feasible in ZC long ago.
    My Zquest Tutorial
    tutorial document

Working on a quest, I swear i'll finally finish one, one of these days!

--Overworld: 60% done
    --Dungeons: 0% done
    --Misc: 0% done

Ultimate Prankster Lucario QDB Manager
    Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.86%

Maybe you could have it as a "treasure chest palace", where every item in the dungeon (execpt items dropped by enemies) is in a Treasure Chest combo. Plus, the walls and doors could be shiny-looking, or maybe even look like you were inside a giant Treasure Chest!

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    73.84%

Quote Originally Posted by pikaguy900
    Maybe you could have it as a "treasure chest palace", where every item in the dungeon (execpt items dropped by enemies) is in a Treasure Chest combo. Plus, the walls and doors could be shiny-looking, or maybe even look like you were inside a giant Treasure Chest!
    My vote goes to "giant treasure chest" dungeon. :p Although, is this going to be a LoZ dungeon, or a little more freeform than rectangle rooms? That's something we ought to decide before the complexity of the dungeon elements, I believe.

Ultimate Prankster Lucario QDB Manager
    Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.86%

Quote Originally Posted by Rakki
    My vote goes to "giant treasure chest" dungeon. :p Although, is this going to be a LoZ dungeon, or a little more freeform than rectangle rooms? That's something we ought to decide before the complexity of the dungeon elements, I believe.
    Good point. Although, I WOULD like to see a dungeon that not only looks like a Treasure Chest, but is also SHAPED like a Treasure chest. There could even be multiple floors, with the top floor maybe being the top of the Treasure Chest, which would be outside.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.54%

I think a forest level would be a good level to start out with. I will try to make suggestions and things for puzzles that fit into the theme of the level, and actually make the items useful. Anyways, my vote is for a forest level, just for tradation.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.23%

I really like the Treasure Dungeon idea. Forest temples are okay...but let's break tradition a little. Besides, I've never heard of that kind of dungeon, and it sounds like a good idea. Though, assuming the treasure box is square, they'll probably be either square rooms, or one large, open space with glittery floors and pillars, a ladder letting you get through the top through a hole or something.
    Eh. Nothing really important to write here.

Thread Information