Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.41%

Re: Open Source

Grammatically, the only question you ask is a rhetorical one. If you would like to pose a question directly to me, feel free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.88%

Personally, I'd like to see ZC's source stay closed. It enables them to work out the kinks/bugs, and work with it without any outside trouble. If it went open source, I could forsee a disaster happening to ZC. I'm not saying that it would definitely happen, but there's always the possibility.
    And I agree with Freedom that the devs are and will be making the right choices for ZC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.48%

The question being; if you're interested in the project, why haven't you made it a point to join in on the fun earlier and become a part of it, itstead of asking for it to just be handed over at this stage.

It's Kind of like what happens in the suggestions forum, someone will come along and before they even know what the program can do they're suggesting things be added that have been being done in quests, sometimes years before.

It's none of my business anyway, one way or the other, like I said before, I just like building quests, what direction ZC takes, it will take regardless of me.
    :O)

ZC information I've compiled and my quests
    Adventure Tileset
    Elise's Zelda Classic

Don't ever buy an MTD Product, it's cheap over-priced garbage

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.41%

I've actually been following Zelda Classic for a few months, if you don't believe me, check out my blog (notice the October date):

http://rumorsofmydemise.blogspot.com...xpression.html

Last paragraph if you don't feel like reading it all.

I'm not saying I'm a master at using, far from it. I still have quite a bit to learn before I'm comfortable releasing a quest. Anyways, if you read back over the thread, my primary focus for open sourcing is multiplayer. Apparently, according to the website, a multiplayer feature is part of the plan anyways, my suggestion for open sourcing would merely speed that up.

Look under future plans:
    Make it easier to create group quests (quests with multiple authors)
    Multiplayer/deathmatch feature
    Fix swimming in BS-Style animation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.88%

I do not mean to be cynical, but how exactly would that speed it up?

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.41%

More people working on a project generally means it will progress faster.

While I'm not a master programmer, I have experience with RunUO, which was originally designed to allow fan run Ultima Online servers, which I did for 6 months, working on other servers intermittently before and after. When RunUO was first released, (http://www.runuo.com), the core wasn't open source, but all the files that corresponded to skill gain, monsters, etc etc were. With somewhat limited control over the game, fans made huge changes to UO, some so drastic that it hardly resembled the original Ultima. When RunUO released the core, a little over 2 years ago, fans of the system finally had the ability to modify the guts if they so desired. For the most part, tweaks have been minor and most of them kept private. Then I saw this:

https://www.hostilespace.com/ (IE only which sucks).

If you're unfamiliar with what Ultima Online looks like, look at this:

http://www.uo.com/ageofshadows/images/guildbattle.jpg

Hostile Space is built on a heavily modified RunUO core, what was originally Ultima Online, a game focused on killing monsters and collecting loot, was morphed into a game about commanding star ships and exploring a galaxy. As soon as I saw Hostile Space, I instantly thought of Zelda Classic.

So, I ran here, well, I guess it would be an E-run, which is characterized by frantic clicking and typing, to start sharing the idea. Using my experience with open source software (mainly RunUO), I gathered that open sourcing, which allows many programmers to work at once, would probably be the fastest way for a vision like this to be realized. If the developers of ZC want to create a Zelda (or "esque" if copyright infringement is feared) MMO solo, that's fine, I will gladly wait for it and offer my written support.

Or if they choose not to release the source and not persue a multiplayer or MMO angle, that's fine too. It's their property and they're allowed to do what they want with it. But, I can still beg and make suggestions.

Ultimate Prankster Lucario QDB Manager
    Just registered
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    44.24%

Quote Originally Posted by Zenphobia
    More people working on a project generally means it will progress faster.

While I'm not master programmer, I have experience with RunUO, which was originally designed to allow fan run Ultima Online servers, which I did for 6 months, working on other servers intermittently before and after. When RunUO was first released, (http://ww.runuo.com), the core wasn't open source, but all the files that corresponded to skill gain, monsters, etc etc were. With somewhat limited control over the game, fans made huge changes to UO, some so drastic that it hardly resembled the original Ultima. When RunUO released the core, a little over 2 years ago, fans finally of the system finally had the ability to modify the guts if they so desired. For the most part, tweaks have been minor and most of them kept private. Then I saw this:

https://www.hostilespace.com/ (IE only which sucks).

If you're unfamiliar with what Ultima Online looks like, look at this:

http://www.uo.com/ageofshadows/images/guildbattle.jpg

Hostile Space is built on a heavily modified RunUO core, what was originally Ultima Online, a game focused on killing monsters and collecting loot, was morphed into a game about commanding star ships and exploring a galaxy. As soon as I saw Hostile Space, I instantly thought of Zelda Classic.

So, I ran here, well, I guess it would be an E-run, which is characterized by frantic clicking and typing, to start sharing the idea. Using my experience with open source software (mainly RunUO), I gathered that open sourcing, which allows many programmers to work at once, would probably be the fastest way for a vision like this to be realized. If the developers of ZC want to create a Zelda (or "esque" if copyright infringement is feared) MMO solo, that's fine, I will gladly wait for it and offer my written support.

Or if they choose not to release the source and not persue a multiplayer or MMO angle, that's fine too. It's their property and they're allowed to do what they want with it. But, I can still beg and make suggestions.
    WOAH. Now THAT is interesting.

Developer
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.51%

I'll just say preemptively to lay off Zenphobia. He speaks good things, even if they neccesarily won't be applied.
    AGN's Resident Zelda Classic Developer and Sonic the Hedgehog Fanboy

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.41%

Thank you Jman, I am honored by your defence.

Open Source debate aside, since I think we've exhausted that angle, would anyone be interested in a Zelda style MMO?

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    74.45%

Quote Originally Posted by Zenphobia
    Open Source debate aside, since I think we've exhausted that angle, would anyone be interested in a Zelda style MMO?
    Technically, it already exists. Graal Online is an MMORPG that looks and plays somewhat like ALttP. In fact, the original levels saved with Graal were .zelda files. :p Now I would like to see multiplayer as a possibility (for Four Swords-esque quests), but I'm not sure about a ZC MMO.

Thread Information