Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    90.76%

Am I being too ambisious?

Okay, I know ambisious is spelled wrong, I can spell...but anyway...

I guess I should explain what I'm trying to do. My quest is also tenatively called "Zelda's Quest", which is also the name of my fan comic. It is going to be my sequal to the Minish Cap, and I think my biggest challenge is going to be re-creating the Minish Cap World Map, and give the illusion of shrinking/growing by use of warp tiles and the like.

I should probably try a short quest first, just to get used to the controls. I'm new to ZC, and I'm really excited to get started, but I'm still trying to read through tutorials and figure out the game controls (I'm not exactly really good at this computer stuff). I have to figure out how to change the Link-sprite to make it look more Zelda-ish ('cause you play Zelda and not Link) and all.

I know what I really want to do, and I know that by the time I finish planing everything and get started on the quest, it'll probably take me all summer to do. I really want to create this game, but I know I might never be able to have the game do what I want it to do....>.> which really bites....

So tell me, folks...am I trying to do something beyond my skills? Should I stick to the easy stuff, or should I let my imagination run wild and create a quest that probably won't be finished until the next 2 versions are out?

(P.S., If you wanna check out my fan-comic go to http://anitaangelo2.deviantart.com and view my gallery, so far I'm on chapter 3 (which will be level 2 of the game...if I ever finish it))
    *brandishes Blade of Piccori* Don't make me go Zelda on your butt....

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.59%

Re: Am I being too ambisious?

Personally, I was in the same situation with my Arena Fight game. The best experience is to play with the program. You'd be amazed at what you can do with it. And you can always go back and change things as you go. If you want to, you could start using the classic tileset that is auto-loaded, but it's very weak in the terms of what you can do with it. Then again, one of the more complicated tilesets out there, Adventure, is an excellent tileset, but is tough to work with if you aren't experienced enough.

It's all up to you on how hard you want to make the experience. The thing to remember is 'suffering first leads to easier rewards later.' What this means is, like in some online games, that if you make things hard at first, that sometimes the effort will reward you in the end with something better and easier. In this case, if you do something hard, you'll learn faster.

However, you don't want to make it too hard because it will become discouraging.

Go ahead and play with the program. See what you can do with it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask on the boards here. We'll be happy to assist you with whatever you are having trouble with.
    Phear my uber gimpyness!

Hacking up an Octorock
    QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.2%

However, this thread should have been started in the Zquest Editor Help title.

As for the shrinking, I doubt that you can recreate that without creating extra large tiles surrounding the player to give th illusion of being small, because you cannot change the player tiles throughout the game. There is only 2 things that let the player's tile change. The shield and the ring.
    The ZC.com Database is alive!!
    __________________________________________________ _____

Curent Quest(s) :
    The Ring of Time.
    Working on whistle village.
    __________________________________________________ ______

Need help with bridges? Check out my tutorial HERE

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    90.76%

Oh, okay...>.> Sorry about the wrong thread...

Thanks guys, I'll keep your advise in mind...*crosses fingers* Hopefully I'll figure all of this out...

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    62.18%

Technically, Rocksfan13, Link Tile Mods will let you change Link's graphics with almost any item (2.11 can extend that to all of Links animations, not just Walking Right, Left and Down). However, the change happens while you have the item, just like the shields do. The enlarged tiles sound like a good idea, but you won't be able to have little Link on the normal Overworld. Maybe you could recreate only the necessary parts of the Overworld in giant form for those sections?
    Crash Man is the coolest Robot Master ever! Well, aside from Skull Man, Elec Man, Quick Man, Gemini Man, Shadow Man... ahh, forget it!

Megaman: "Who cares if it's peacetime? You're an inventor, damnit - MAKE SOMETHING!"
    Dr Light: " 'Necessity is the mother of invention.' "
    Megaman: "Good, I'm hungry. Go invent me a sandwich."

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    90.76%

Yeah, that's what I plan to do. I actually found that somebody on purezc.com started a Minish Cap title set, and theres is actually, I think, too big...so what I need help with now is how do I create my own tiles? I finished createing a mini-quest with Alphadawgs' tutorial (and it was easier then I thought XD yeah!) and I'm experimenting with some different things.

I actually found someone on purezc.com who created the Minish-cap as an item (so you look like the small link on the regular maps), and I'm anxious to see how that works, though I will still be creating a secondary "world map" in big form, but to do that, I need to know how to make my own tiles. Can anyone help me with that?

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.2%

To make your own tiles, go to Quest->Graphics->Tiles. Then double click on one of the tiles, and it will bring you to the tile editor. (I suggest using someone else's tileset as a template so that you don't have to mess around with palettes before you start.) Then, draw in your own versions of each of the tiles (if you don't want to have any trouble setting sprites, put your new tiles in the same places as the old ones).

If you don't take enough time to plan how you want the tiles to look within ZQ's limits, making the tiles will be hard, but with enough planning, it shouldn't be much of a problem...
    I've never had photoshopping skills.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    90.76%

^_^ Thanks Mario. I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner...my computer was being a pain and wouldn't let me log into anything...>.> but I'd rather have the good spysweeper and block some cookies and have to reset things rather then viruses...

nehoo ^_^ I found what you said and I started some work. I did find someone who made a Mt. Crenel tileset, and I opened thier file in paint and zoomed in so I could see the pixles and practiced by copying what I saw, and then I tried a few myself ^_^ it's actually quite fun. I've also figured out how to create my own pallet (though I haven't gotten it to work yet....>.> I think I need to create more then one line of colors) for what will be a Castor Wilds set (from Minish Cap). Once I have some done, I'll post my tiles so someone can tell me how I'm doing ^_^ This is quite fun (esepcially for an art/music teacher like me...whoops...:-p showin' my age...)

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    90.76%

Behold my crap-taculart graphic skills....^^;;; this was supposed to look like the Castor Wilds...and obviously, I'm in waaaay over my head...oh well...I think I'll make my quest using the 2.10test graphics and combos and such, and then when I get better at graphics, I can change things...but for now, let's get this quest started...XD

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    74.03%

It's probably a good idea for you to use a different tileset for now, since right now, Zquest doesn't have the graphical power to create a full Minish Cap tileset. Minish Cap tiles use too many colors, you know. Fortunately, that'll no longer be a problem on the next version release.

Thread Information