3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.34%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Re: The quest for a new example quest

... Why ... would ... anyone flame you for it? > >.' I think offering to help is a cause most noble under just about any circumstances. It's very nice of you really. But why PM them? It's all best seen out in the open. Like I said before, it -could- be a tutorial quest. The player walks through a relatively linear (Though not necessarily.) world where each screen or so shows you how to work a particular feature of ZQuest, using actual visuals from ZQuest, converted to combos within ZQuest itself.

I'm just wondering how we'd go about doing this, and in what fashion, and what should be exhibited. It's also a Beta 7 showoff quest, as well as a tutorial, so it should do everything using the new features.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.44%

Idea:
    Screen 1: Displays how to use basic combos
    Screen 8: Displays cycling
    Screen 20+: Superadvanced tricks.
    I jumped around to show how the world could be set up.

Would something like that work?

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.34%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Eh, it's not based on a screen by screen basis. It's "how" to go about doing everything we need to do, and finding out -what- we need to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    95.69%

Hmm, what if there was an elementery storyline related to the tutorial? I was thinking of an intereactive tutorial. Imagine this: To get the Wooden Sword, you would have to basically use Link as a cursor to place the wooden sword object on the screen. It could start as a blank screen in Zequest, then instructions could be given(you would need to disable the text barrier for this) to go to the specific menu, choose the right option, then have the sword placed in order for you to get. I might try somthing like that to see how it feels. It would only need to be done once obviously, and only when a new concept has been learned. Then, these tricks could be archived, and thanks to 4 warps per room, these things could be organized and unlocked according to obtaining triforce(this is the archive, you would still need to learn it first) and stuff. For example, from the start of the game to the end of level 1, you learn the fundimentals of quest building(not in order, as the idea is to lean while playing, not play while you learn). For the wooden sword, it's like I mentioned. When you get to level 1, you learn about warps, then on the first screen you learn about doors and combos. When you go right, you learn about monsters, and so forth. Each level can have like 8 to 12 concepts(including between levels). Advanced concepts are unlockable via finding special items or reaching certain areas. It does seem like hard work, but I think it would really help the players out to make better quests. Besides, most of us learn best by playing video games anyway. Might as well exploit entertainment for the sake of learning.
    The name might be missleading, I'm not jigglypuff.

"...A Bible! A Bible! We have got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible."
    Second Nephi 29:3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.5%

I'd suggest a quest that's mostly linear, as some of you suggested, with a different feature in each room (item, shop, warp, secret, tiered secret, ...). There are literally hundreds of features I could think of.

Then someone could write a tutorial that explains for each screen how it was made, sort of a zquest screen-by-screen tutorial. The first screens would be simple things (how to place combos) and in the end, if we're lucky, you'd have a custom boss... Of course the tutorial quest would be unpassworded so you can play the screen through, read the tutorial and look at it in zquest.

I would be quite interested in helping to make such a tutorial, be it in zquest or article-writing. I've done a mini-tutorial on flags, something in the same style but on a much larger scale is what I'm suggesting.

[shameless advertising]
    LINK
    [/shameless ad]
    Koopa - former member of AGN and retired ZC developer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    3.44%

I really don't think that a quest that looks like you're in Zquest is the way to go. It would be a lot easier for someone to just make a nice tutorial in HTML with pictures (much like AlphaDawg's old tutorial), and people could tab to that window from Zquest, to reference it while making their quest, rather than learning in Zelda Classic itself, and then closing it and going to Zquest.

No, I really think that this example quest should be somewhat of a cross between Newfirst.qst and Demo.qst ... (I like the name NeoFirst.qst, BH4)..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.49%

Quote Originally Posted by KJAZZ
    I really don't think that a quest that looks like you're in Zquest is the way to go. It would be a lot easier for someone to just make a nice tutorial in HTML with pictures (much like AlphaDawg's old tutorial), and people could tab to that window from Zquest, to reference it while making their quest, rather than learning in Zelda Classic itself, and then closing it and going to Zquest.

No, I really think that this example quest should be somewhat of a cross between Newfirst.qst and Demo.qst ... (I like the name NeoFirst.qst, BH4)..
    http://www.geocities.com/firefly_zc/...orset_test.htm

I could continue making it, but I can't afford to pay large amounts of money just to have more uploading space.
    I'm just learning about HTML (I'm in 8th grade), that's why probably I can't make a better tutorial.

Thread Information