Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.19%

Re: Calling all testers: Priority Suggestion Thread

The thing would be to make damage combos more sensitive. I was playing a quest with a custom boss, and you could avoid the damage combos by being halfway between 2 combos. It made the custom boss loads easier than it would have been.

I don't remember hearing anything like that... is it possible the quest maker didn't have the linked combos rule checked?

As for timed pit warps, it's still not entirely clear how they'll work, but I'm sure whatever is implemented will be beneficial to all quest makers.
    AGN's Resident Zelda Classic Developer and Sonic the Hedgehog Fanboy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    49.23%

The thing would be to make damage combos more sensitive. I was playing a quest with a custom boss, and you could avoid the damage combos by being halfway between 2 combos. It made the custom boss loads easier than it would have been.
    That might have been the builder's fault by not clicking the "Linked Combos" rule.
    Current Quests in Progress...
    Zelda: Eya's Song

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.36%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Long Post, Bear With Me.
    Lots of little ideas, iterations on what's already been said.
    BTW, GREAT ideas everyone. I love seeing such creative sparks.

Four Tile Warps per Screen (One in each divisible chunk in the screen. Like Upper-Left, Upper-Right, Lower-Left, Lower-Right)
    Kinda hard to do, seeing as we have an odd number of tiles crossing the screen in one of the directions. Maybe both, I forget...

1 .Not sure if it has been talked about recently, maybe it has and I just missed it, but what about a "guy" editor?
    Initially, this concept sounds very good. It could eliminate a layer entirely. o_o But then we get into the whole "We should be able to PLACE this "Guy" on the screen, like a rupee or a flag or start position." But then it falls apart, because this "guy" would or would not be strikeable, and we'd have to decide on the minutia of that as well. But I suppose it can be done, if we know exactly what it is we're looking for. I like it.

1. String triggers (probably a flag)--this is something I've been begging for for a long time. This would work for signs or NPC's. The flag could be placed in front of signs, or on all four sides of an NPC. (Now that we have eyeball combos, an NPC could turn to face Link to talk to him.) The string would disappear when Link steps off the string trigger.
    Nice idea Jaye. :) The question comes to mind though; Would the player be able to walk under these strings? If not, perhaps we could change it from string to layer? You could layer the text right on the screen, causing the layer to turn on and off. Heck, we could change its entire goal from making text appear to making whole layers appear and disappear! You could have a SWITCH on the layers screen that says "On" and "Off." (Off implying that the layer is not in effect, and isn't evident.)

2. A player that has a simpler system of loading custom quests, thus eliminating the first question all newbies ask. Make it obvious.
    I really wish more people would think like this. Perhaps we could add a new text-option like new name, copy, and delete, that says "play custom quest" instead of having to press "A" twice, with little to no indication of doing that. Man ... Kickarse!

Nick, I'd generally agree with you on the whole flag organization thing, but IMHO, after you work with flags enough, you really start to memorize what is where. But that doesn't really help the newcomers, so perhaps you have a point. But I can still see a lot of people not even bothering to use the pulldown menu after a certain "ZC Experience Level" (heh) due to this familiarity.

Now, if we had HOTKEYS to bring us down to certain points, like bookmarks, Now THAT would really help. Those are such tremendous time savers.

You know what we Really, ABSOLUTELY need? Two Things.

1) Something to check if strings are referring to themselves. This shouldn't be THAT hard to do. Something that would be a bit harder to do, is to check if strings never finish; i.e. if they're referring to a previous iteration, causing an infinite loop of never-ending strings. We definitely have to check for that. Adding strings is DANGEROUS BUSINESS.

2) Link Start Positions default to the extreme upper left corner, resulting in these obvious "Why can't I see or move Link?" situations. Perhaps he should default to the center? Heck, you KNOW that it's something that needs to be dealt with.

... ... What The Heck! O_O; You're kidding right?!? XD IMHO, they're sensitive enough! I mean, there are times in which you're barely NEXT TO the thing, and you're already dead! O_o; There are also times in whcih you can walk pretty much OVER it without getting damaged. I think the horizontal plane is the supersensitive part, whereas the vertical isn't as sensitive. Very odd.

jman, as for Timed Pit Combos, how similar is it to the timed warp combo? I mean, obviously, I know little to nothing of the code, but from the perspective of the wee folk, they should be similar enough. It's definitely more than likely an extraordinarily fallacious viewpoint, but I / we see no reason why it shouldn't be if timed side warps are implemented.

Developer
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.19%

Timed warp combo? You referring to combo cycling to a pit/direct combo, cause I see nothing in ZQ about a timed warp combo

Not to mention using timed pit warps, you no longer have to have Link walk to trigger the next
    'frame' of an event/boss. Furthermore, since it uses the side warp, it gives you the freedom to use the tile warp in another fashion if you so desire

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.98%

Quote Originally Posted by Britannianhero4
    Initially, this concept sounds very good. It could eliminate a layer entirely. o_o But then we get into the whole "We should be able to PLACE this "Guy" on the screen, like a rupee or a flag or start position." But then it falls apart, because this "guy" would or would not be strikeable, and we'd have to decide on the minutia of that as well. But I suppose it can be done, if we know exactly what it is we're looking for. I like it.
    The main idea for it (in my opinion anyways) would be so that you wouldn't be stuck with using the same "guys" over and over, and could create new ones for special situations. More over, you wouldn't have to mess around with the default tiles for them, since you could pick your own.

I don't think people should be able to place "guys". They are fine in the center of a room like they've always been.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.36%

Quote Originally Posted by vegeta1215
    The main idea for it (in my opinion anyways) would be so that you wouldn't be stuck with using the same "guys" over and over, and could create new ones for special situations. More over, you wouldn't have to mess around with the default tiles for them, since you could pick your own.

I don't think people should be able to place "guys". They are fine in the center of a room like they've always been.
    And this is from the Zelda Classic view, I take it? All perfectly logical, and if I were utilizing that viewpoint as my guiding purpose, I would support such a thing too.

But the use of layers has made "Guys" moot. We don't even need them anymore.

However, because many of the more "advanced" users are using ZC's abilities to make other games, not just other "first quests" and such, we should be keeping both methods intact.

Thus, shouldn't it only be right that everyone gets what they want, but done through a simple way? We could have the option "No Guy" (Or just eliminate the Fire tile as we've been doing. ) and we can add many more Guys, or make them configurable. It should work for everyone.

Developer
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.19%

The guy system still stands as the 'easy way out' for newbs, as do many of the other supposedly depreciated features of ZC. I agree improvements to the system could be made, but since it is a simple and old technique, it shouldn't be given priority. If anything, the system would be replaced with a competent NPC system before the current one gets redone.

I shall exalt myself over all Armagedddon Games bigjoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.54%

A couple more suggestions

Backgrounds: Setting in DMAP(you select any screen on any map that is to be the top left of the entire background). Where there is (X) ( or no) color on the screen, a background will show through it. Normally, it doesnt scroll when you switch screens, giving you the effect that it is distant. When [] Parallaxing (Left Right) is checked, it will scroll by a factor of <variable> pixels as you travel Left and Right. When Parallaxing (Up Down) is checked, it will scroll by a factor of <variable> pixels as you travel up and down.

Custom Font: Customize the font via a sprite setting. If left alone, it will use default font.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    71.66%

BH4: The question comes to mind though; Would the player be able to walk under these strings? If not, perhaps we could change it from string to layer? You could layer the text right on the screen, causing the layer to turn on and off. Heck, we could change its entire goal from making text appear to making whole layers appear and disappear! You could have a SWITCH on the layers screen that says "On" and "Off." (Off implying that the layer is not in effect, and isn't evident.)
    That was the reason for having the string disappear when Link steps off the string trigger. Your idea is cool too though. Anything to keep us from having to warp to another screen to make signs work and NPC's talk.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
    However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.36%

Yeah, .. Thanks and all. :) I was referring to having this situation take place near the upper part of the screen, where the string would appear. If it was, the player would probably get stuck or something unless something drastic was done. Obviously, we have no idea how hard it'd be to code in the removal of walk access under that string area.

Thread Information