Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.52%
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeiiii View Post
    The FPS is to HIGH!!

Without VLC-Player => 40/60 FPS
    With a running VLC-Player => 60/60 FPS

If the VLC-Player is running, Link runs fast, the strings a written faster and of course I can fight faster. It is like a speedrun cheat.
    Precisely what are you doing with VLC when this occurs?

I'm likewise at a loss to explain the game running faster when it shows 40FPS. Only the internal cheat 'Fast Link' could un-couple Link's movement and game framerate.

Do you have any level of cheats enabled?

Here lies mero. Died by his own dumbassitude.
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    it doesn't have any effect period.
    he's trolling guys. just ignore him. It makes zero sense. :/

Keese
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.06%
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoriaRPG View Post
    Precisely what are you doing with VLC when this occurs?
    It is enough if VLC is in the task bar. It doesn't matter if a movie is playing or not.

Do you have any level of cheats enabled?
    No.

The problem isn't really solved, but since I know now that it is VLC player, I can turn it off. Then I don't have the problem. Because I didn't notice this at the beginning, so the question here in the forum. We can stop the discussion. It is good enough at it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamamo View Post
    it doesn't have any effect period.
    he's trolling guys. just ignore him. It makes zero sense. :/
    Thank you. Sorry that I had a problem.

Here lies mero. Died by his own dumbassitude.
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    You welcome. Sorry I'm an asshole.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.24%
    What file should I check for those definitions? I'm pretty sure that both are set, but I may as well verify that.
    Project Settings->Preprocessor,
    or, you can type this:
    Code:
    #ifndef _WIN32
    #error "no disassemble. Johnny 5 is ALIVE!" 
    #endif
    Seriously though, get back to me here. I need to know if that was set in the exact build that he tested.

On the subject of framerate drops, apparently displaying the current FPS rate causes ZC Player to tank, and lose as much as 50% of its performance. I'm not yet sure why, as I haven't had time to look at it, but we'll need to eventually address some of these things, especially once I migrate the video bitmap to 32b OGL and start performing an intermediate blit--next version! (AL)
    Ah. That's because ZC draws to the "screen" bitmap, which just happens to be really, really, slow if it is stored in gfx memory. Pro tip: Never draw to the 'screen' bitmap.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.52%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    Project Settings->Preprocessor,
    or, you can type this:
    Code:
    #ifndef _WIN32
    #error "no disassemble. Johnny 5 is ALIVE!" 
    #endif
    Seriously though, get back to me here. I need to know if that was set in the exact build that he tested.

Ah. That's because ZC draws to the "screen" bitmap, which just happens to be really, really, slow if it is stored in gfx memory. Pro tip: Never draw to the 'screen' bitmap.
    I'll check tomorrow, as I powered off my dev machine for the day; but he was using 2.50.something, not one of my builds, so I would have no way of knowing what ppc stuff was set.

You, or Saffith made all of those, but I'll ensure that it's set for 2.53, and above.

Wait...the FPS textout is drawn directly to the video bitmap, instead of blitting to framebuf? I didn't notice that... Who thought that'd be a good idea?

Every blit should be to a RAM bitmap, so that there is one, final blit to SCREEN at the end. That's how RAM/Video bitmaps work!! You only output directly to video bitmaps if you have real HWA, which absolutely nothing that I've worked on to any real extent has ever had (or usually needed) anyway.

Is this the end?
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.42%
    Not something I've ever noticed. I don't think that happens on Linux, probably because of the software rendering.
    Maybe that would help to explain the discrepancy, at least. Perhaps VLC is affecting DirectX or some other system state in such a way that the game runs faster than normal, but also makes it run a lot slower when the FPS display is enabled. Or... maybe the FPS counter is just wrong? It depends on Allergo calling fps_callback() at the right times, and I don't know how that works internally.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.52%
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffith View Post
    Not something I've ever noticed. I don't think that happens on Linux, probably because of the software rendering.
    Maybe that would help to explain the discrepancy, at least. Perhaps VLC is affecting DirectX or some other system state in such a way that the game runs faster than normal, but also makes it run a lot slower when the FPS display is enabled. Or... maybe the FPS counter is just wrong? It depends on Allergo calling fps_callback() at the right times, and I don't know how that works internally.
    I've never run into this, either. In theory, based on the OP's explanation, it's Windows, or his GFX drivers that's muck with the Allero timers. I can't explain it, but I also can't explain how his instance of ZC is using < 30MB of RAM.

The screenshot of his taskman.exe doesn't look possible. Base 2.50, running 1st.qst uses 67MB.

I was looking at the Allegro timers, and I'd expect that, if this problem were genuine, that it'd be more commonplace on Win10.

It's nothing that I can fix in any case, as I can't duplicate it.

Thread Information