Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.17%

Re: Nintendo Revolution

That, and the possibility that the 360 console might be released first. Always a keen factor that.
    AGN's resident Doctor Who, Star Wars and Torchwood fan

Current life projects: Survive job, stay awake, write stuff, find new job. Not in that order.

Hey, I do online reviews now! Check out my site to see the latest videos.

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    44.16%

Quote Originally Posted by Cloral
    If the PS3 is $400+ and the 360 is $299 (which is where they hope to release it), we might really start to see a shift in power towards MS, since they're supposedly comperable in terms of power.
    Yeah, maybe. I actually think Microsoft has a very good position here. A hdd supposedly comes with it, (correct?) a good amount of processing power, and an industry standard price ($299.99 hopefully). With it coming out first, and having the support it does, how could it not have a good position.

And truthfully, even though it will be much later when it comes out, if Nintendo can some how manage to wrangle back the third-party support is used to have, Nintendo would be in a very good position with its system too. Nintendo has a powerhouse of first-party software that loyal Nintendo fans will scoop up, and with a cheaper price point, third-party support is the only thing standing in its way from actually gaining some steam. Because now its not only going to be cheaper, its going to be much cheaper then the PS3. (assuming the PS3 is "expensive")

Of course, once other big companies started coming into the industry, Nintendo always seems to be in Limbo when if comes to support.

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Marsden's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.17%

Well, Nintendo hasn't really had a 'demo friendly' format before. It was always cartridges, and then with Gamecube it was those really itty-bitty discs that were a bit expensive. That sort of thing may well have put companies off porting their games over to Nintendo and just sticking with Sony & Microsoft, who had relatively easy-to-use discs. Maybe, with Revolution using more standard discs, they'll have more chance of scoring some more third-company stuff this time round.

Current life projects: Survive job, stay awake, write stuff, find new job. Not in that order.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.08%

Honestly, I don't think the discs had anything to do with it.

How much 3rd party support Nintendo gets on the Revolution will boil down to the system's capabilities, which thus far haven't really been detailed, and the kinds of games developers want to deliver to the Nintendo/Revolution fan base.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.17%

Still, you have to admit that the idea of a Nintendo console having a demo disc is kinda weird. Be very nice to have one though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.08%

They have demo discs, but they are rare. I remember seeing one with Billy Hatcher, Viewtiful Joe, Spinter Cell, and some other game on it.

Putting demo discs (or even preview movie discs) in magazines is one of the many things I think Nintendo should do to advertise. Nintendo makes good products, but it's advertising sucks. Even with Reggie Fils Aime at Nintendo, advertising still sucks, despite a few cool DS commercials.

They are trying to change that though. The latest issue of Nintendo power had a DVD with it that contained a lot of game trailers, including the Zelda one from E3. Big deal though - everyone watched the Zelda trailer weeks and weeks ago on the internet (though it is nice to watch it on a TV)

UPDATE: I forgot that Nintendo has the Fusion Tour going on each year now. Another step in the right direction in terms of marketing, but they're still not there yet.

4077 MASH, mess tent. We regret to announce lunch is now being served.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.85%

I saw a GC demo disc at a store a couple weeks ago. Don't remember what it had on it though, I spent all my time playing Star Fox: Assault....
    "Only sith deal in absolutes."~ Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi
    "There's more than one way to skin a spirit."~ Father John Patrick Mulcahy
    "Toleration is not the opposite of intolerance, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."~ Thomas Paine
    http://specaill_ed.tripod.com/quotes.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.08%

Quote Originally Posted by Axel
    I saw a GC demo disc at a store a couple weeks ago. Don't remember what it had on it though, I spent all my time playing Star Fox: Assault....
    Oh yeah...forgot about those. They have Gamecube kiosks in most electronic stores, you just have to be lucky and find on that's actually on - I can't tell you how many times I go into game stores to find the Gamecube kiosk turned off while the X-Box and PS2 ones are on.

I was specifically talking about demo discs that are available to take home and play, like those you find in magazines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.88%

Yeah, GC demos are very hard to find. I only have one and it's the one that came with Mario Kart: DD.

And about the game kiosks. There's one at my local Wal-Mart, but some one took off the pad on the analog stick, so when you put your thumb on it, it's like having a bunch of little teeth jabbed into your thumb. That, and the screen is so high up, you'r basically looking at it at a 180 degree angle which ends up giving you a neck cramp if you play for more than 2 minutes.
    Winner of the Side Splitter award in the first Writing Contest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.17%

Hmm. I was refering to demo disks with magazines, which I know PS2 has and I believe XBox has as well, but yeah. I remember one of the magazines used to have mini Action Replay discs with cheats for about 5 games on which were kinda cool, but they've stopped doing those now. Bit of a shame really, but there you go. I guess I'll just have to use my proper Action Replay now.

Thread Information