Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    59.05%

Arcade cabs and boards

So does anyone here have any arcade games? If so, what games and cabinets do you have?

I currently have the following boards:

Black Tiger
    Break Thru
    Desert Assault (4p)
    Final Fight
    Last Duel
    Logic Pro 2
    Mr. Driller
    Ninja Gaiden
    Super Dodge Ball
    Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (2p)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (4p)
    Tetris (Atari)
    Tetris Plus 2

Additionally, Silk Worm, Klax, and Total Carnage (the sequel to Smash T.V.; I prefer it to the original) are currently en route, so I should have them soon, and I also have a Sunset Riders board with some color problems that's on the other side of the country being repaired by a friend. I also expect to buy Stack Columns and Battletoads soon. Note that my Black Tiger board also has some graphical issues (the dragon doesn't show up at all in the intro for some reason, and chip 13 (a graphics chip) is being totally ignored by the game. The data on the chips might be rotting or something. I'll have to try burning new chips for it), but they're not as bad as the Sunset Riders problem. As for arcade cabinets, I run all of these in a Super Dodge Ball cab (it's JAMMA), which is in okay condition. I also got my hands on some side art recently for Rushing Heroes, X-Men: Children of the Atom, Turbo Force, American Speedway, and R-Type 2, which is all pretty cool (especially the R-Type 2 art).

But anyway, I hope I'm not the only arcade gamer here. Does anyone else have any games?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.69%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Re: Arcade cabs and boards

Woah, I certainly dig all the cabinets you've got. I wish I had some cabinets but unfortunately I'd have no where to put them, and insufficant funds to maintain a bunch.

I do however own a Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting PCB. I was thinking about tracking down a complete Mortal Kombat board set, as well as the Killer Instinct board and Harddisk. I am a big arcade gamer esspecially on some of the early fighters as you can see. Whenever I get the money and the place for them I hope to make quite a collection of nice arcade cabinets.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    59.05%

Nonono, those are all boards, not cabs. I only have one cab, and it's a Super Dodge Ball one (which was converted from Missile Command. It only has 2 buttons per player, unfortunately). I plan to get a few more cabinets (4 player, 2 player vertical screen, 6 button (for fighters), Neo Geo MVS), but at the moment it's not absolutely necessary.

It doesn't take that much money to get a good arcade collection going so long as you're not getting a cab for each game (and the game you're getting isn't horribly rare). I tend to spend between 10 and 40 dollars plus shipping for games, so it's really not all that pricey; at worst, it's like buying a new console game.

But yeah, let me know if you start getting more arcade games. It's always a fun topic to discuss. :)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.69%

Ah I must not have read that right the first time. So do you play all your games in that cabinet or do you have a jamma rig put together? Personally I'd just get a jamma rig built opposed to a cabinet for the size factor. The only downside is not all TVs are very compatable with games that don't sync at 60hz, such as motral kombat and killer instinct. However coincidentally those are both games I'd want to get original cabinets or remade cabinets of. I'd want all the cabinet art and original control panel and such. That or something that looks just as good.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    59.05%

I play on my Super Dodge Ball cab, though I wouldn't mind making a JAMMA rig (superguns, they're apparently called) for convenience. And yeah, I'd like to at least get one new cab that looks better than my current one. In other news, I might get Smash TV soon, which would be pretty cool. Fun game. :)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.69%

http://www.massystems.com makes the SuperNova jamma rig with a whopping 200$ price tag as I recall. It's very shiney but too much in my opinion. Jamma rigs can be constructed for alot less if you gut other electronics, like old used cheap system parts. If you know how to do it it's really nice if you can construct a controller adapter to use something like a PSX controller, although there is the drawback of controller configuration unless you build it so you can reroute switches.

I have thought many times about making a jamma rig, but it takes time, money, and alot of effort.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.69%

http://www.massystems.com makes the SuperNova jamma rig with a whopping 200$ price tag as I recall. It's very shiney but too much in my opinion. Jamma rigs can be constructed for alot less if you gut other electronics, like old used cheap system parts. If you know how to do it it's really nice if you can construct a controller adapter to use something like a PSX controller, although there is the drawback of controller configuration unless you build it so you can reroute switches.

I have thought many times about making a jamma rig, but it takes time, money, and alot of effort.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    59.05%

$300, it looks like, but it does look pretty nice. Seems like it'd be a pain to play some good games on it like Smash TV and Total Carnage, though, because of the controls, which kinda sucks. I'm currently battling with the controls for Total Carnage (and the sound, but that can be solved by just wiring up a removable potentiometer); my solution is going to be to use a 4PDT to swap controls so that you can only play one player, but that player uses both joysticks. Not the ideal solution, but better than 2 players who can only fire in 2 of 8 directions. I also really need some new joysticks since the current ones are pretty crappy (especially the second player stick). I can't buy the ones I want right now, though, because they're a whopping $70 for a pair. Blah.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    59.05%

$300, it looks like, but it does look pretty nice. Seems like it'd be a pain to play some good games on it like Smash TV and Total Carnage, though, because of the controls, which kinda sucks. I'm currently battling with the controls for Total Carnage (and the sound, but that can be solved by just wiring up a removable potentiometer); my solution is going to be to use a 4PDT to swap controls so that you can only play one player, but that player uses both joysticks. Not the ideal solution, but better than 2 players who can only fire in 2 of 8 directions. I also really need some new joysticks since the current ones are pretty crappy (especially the second player stick). I can't buy the ones I want right now, though, because they're a whopping $70 for a pair. Blah.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.69%

Ya, it's "standard" 6 button controller really doesn't work unless you are playing like Capcom games, which use that exact setup. Mortal Kombat and other odd things like NeoGeo use a bit different setups. That is why I think a jamma rig really requires remappable input through connectors of some kind.

I can't afford any jamma stuff right now, other things came first when I had money to spend. If I ever get a jamma rig though, I'd wanna build a ghetto rig, just shamelessly gutting whatever old system parts I can find. =D

Thread Information