Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    44.97%

Re: HEAD A SPLODE OH GOD AWESOME ;laksjdpofians;dlkfna;lsj

Nobody's arguing. Just a friendly discussion from my point of view. :)
    The soundtrack is one of the best things about the game. I need to get a copy if I ever get some spare $$.

Anyway, I think I've read that it was coming over several months back, unless it was just rumors. And I need some help getting the people I work with to play this game. I have a few who dare to disrespect it, and call it "The Trash Game".

What I want is an even bigger area to roll around in then last time. Sure, makeing the moon was awesome. I scraped up everything save for a few clouds here and there. I want to make my Katamari even bigger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.59%

Alex I had not considered the music issue; I am not certain how much space Katamari Damacy used on the PS2 disc but there are some simple mathematics. Assuming the soundtrack was not compressed and that it filled the entire CD I bought (I'm too lazy to check) that's 650MB of audio. If I recall correctly a GCN disc packs 1.5 GB of gaming fury whereas Sony has an advantage with a DVD's 4 GB or so of data. That means either Namco would have to implement some heavy compression of the audio on GCN or it probably just wouldn't fit (though I can't see why the game would have to take more than 200 or 300MB other than lazy programmers; remember the GCN can do texture compression much better than the PS2 and I imagine graphics and models took up as much space as the music on the PS2).

The game is not on Xbox for the same reason you mentioned it belongs on the PS2, AlexMax. Economics. The Gamecube has a niche crowd of retro gamers and people who enjoy gameplay over eye candy. The PS2 has a more diverse crowd that consists of casual gamers, jock gamers, retro gamers, and many other subcultures. The XBox's demographic consists of neanderthals that want tits, shiny objects, explosions, and Halo; the more you can fit in the game the better. Microsoft is even more unaware of what gamers want than Sony, which is no small feat. Only Nokia has less of a clue.

Anyway, if the omission of audio tracks were the reason, I'd say the game belongs on PS2. I'd rather have no sequel at all than a sequel with an aborted soundtrack.

Speaking of the soundtrack, does anyone else notice some oddities in the audio to the original game? I have both the game and the soundtrack CD, and both exhibit a sound much akin to CD "skipping" on various tracks. If you are also blessed with the soundtrack, check around 3:44 in Track 2 (Katamari on the Rock) to see what I'm talking about. If you don't have the soundtrack, just play the "Make the Moon" level and listen close when the music slows and the "cha cha cha"ing starts for the second time. This happens in both the PS2 game and on the soundtrack, so it seems to be an anomaly in the recording. How could they let this slip?

Certainly they existed... AlexMax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    55.87%

Quote Originally Posted by AtmaWeapon
    The game is not on Xbox for the same reason you mentioned it belongs on the PS2, AlexMax. Economics. The Gamecube has a niche crowd of retro gamers and people who enjoy gameplay over eye candy. The PS2 has a more diverse crowd that consists of casual gamers, jock gamers, retro gamers, and many other subcultures. The XBox's demographic consists of neanderthals that want tits, shiny objects, explosions, and Halo; the more you can fit in the game the better. Microsoft is even more unaware of what gamers want than Sony, which is no small feat. Only Nokia has less of a clue.
    Wishful thinking on my part, with my head firmly in the reality that the X-box is not getting Damancy, ever.

Though I am annoyed by your pigeonholing of people just based on console. However, let's not get too offtopic.

Anyway, if the omission of audio tracks were the reason, I'd say the game belongs on PS2. I'd rather have no sequel at all than a sequel with an aborted soundtrack.
    * has memories of the N64 version of Tony Hawk, and hearing the chorus of a song every minute or so

NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo...................

Thread Information