Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.41%

Re: RPG irritations

I dislike skill points in things that don't require skill; like fishing with a stick and string.
    :moo: :moo: OK, so I have got the Pot Noodle horn! It's big and brassy and I'm going to blow it!:moo: :moo:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.14%

Quote Originally Posted by Blonde799
    I'm RICH BIATCH!
    How can so few people even get to 1/4 of how rich your party is, but your party can get over 90,000 of whatever crazily named currency in a few hours by the end of the game? And where the HELL does 15,000 units of currency come from in a single battle? GOD!?
    That's what bothers me.
    Here is something I never really got, where do the random enemies keep their gold?I mean, I know the goblins and monsters are gonna have some cash, but what about the others. Wtf are the Plantmonster "Naughty Tenticles" and "Vine snake" doing with wads of cash? Where do the skeletons keep their money?
    He that is blind to the world around him, shall see no Evil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    94.71%

Quote Originally Posted by Ibis, God of Magicks
    Where do the skeletons keep their money?
    In their gold teeth.

I'm getting a feeling of Vuja De - where you know you've seen it before, but don't want to remember it.- Ganonator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.14%

Quote Originally Posted by Carcer
    I personally hate the Heros that never say anything. Ever. Why? It makes me angry.
    In many cases, speechless characters are necessary because you are supposed to BE the character. If you are the character, then the suspension of disbelief is hindered if "you" (your character) say something that you don't feel "you" would in that situation. Thus, the only way to solve the problem is to:

A. Give the player multiple dialogue options with different consequences for each (PC RPGs do this frequently. Fallout, Baldur's Gate, etc.)

B. Not give the character any lines at all (the solution preferred for console RPGs).

Quote Originally Posted by Steezy20
    I dislike skill points in things that don't require skill; like fishing with a stick and string.
    That would be an excellent argument if it weren't for the fact that fishing does require skill. Knowing what type of line and pole to use (in your example, "stick and string"), what type of bait, how to move your line to attract the type of fish you want, and the right time to yank the line and hook the fish, are all skills that good fisherman must develop. Fishing IS partially luck, of that there is no doubt. Nonetheless, a skilled fisherman will always catch more fish than an unskilled fisherman.
    Proud sponsor of the Oh, God of hangovers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37%

I'm currently in a "I hate random battle RPGs" mood right now: I like RPGs where you can see your enemies and choose to engage them or not. Whether you stand a chance against the bosses in games like that is all up to how you react to those enemies.

It's a shame I'm in such a mood though, cause I heard Skies of Arcadia is great, but that it is plagued by many many random battles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.02%
    My party enters a dungeon.
    They meet a Zombie, a Demon Ghost, and an Evil Pebble From Hell.
    Battle starts.

Zombie goes first, since obviously he's the fastest thing out there.
    Enemy Zombie swings at Fighter.
    Critical hit! 2 damage to Fighter, because he's a Fighter.

My Mage casts Instant Death.
    It naturally hits nothing, does nothing, and costs my Mage all his remaining MP.

Fighter's turn. Fighter swings his sword at the Zombie.
    Miss! Because we all know Zombies gots those 1337 dodgin' skills out tha' yin-yang.

Priest's turn. Priest casts Merciful Annihilation From God.
    Zombie is instantly killed, because spells never miss! Except that the Demon Ghost and the Evil Pebble From Hell aren't affected. I guess my God isn't at as high a level as the Demon Ghost and the Evil Pebble From Hell. Darn. Remind me to change Religions.

Evil Pebble From Hell casts Earthquake Lv. 900. This is normal, since the pebble is earth-type and therefore obviously knows all earth spells.
    My Fighter takes 2 damage again. My Mage takes 1,012 damage and dies instantly, because he's a Mage and can only wear bedsheets to protect himself. My Priest takes no damage. Because he's flying. Because he's wearing a magical pair of winged shoes. Which my Theif stole from a Killer Monkey. Which we found in an evil church. And my Thief, who is never in my party because he's useless, sits in an airship on the other side of the world sipping Strawberry Daquiris and still getting credit for helping save the world.

My Priest uses a Magic Revival Feather on Mage. Mage is revived. The Priest could have used his years of Clerical training to beg God's mercy upon my Mage, but this was a lot quicker and easier.

Demon Ghost calls for help.
    That other Demon Ghost that was just sitting with my Thief drinking Strawberry Daquiris with him hears the first Demon Ghost's cry for help. But he decides he doesn't get paid enough and ignores him.

My Mage casts Flare on the Demon Ghost.
    500 damage to the Demon Ghost. The Demon Ghost dies. I guess my Mage is stronger than my Priest's God. Maybe he should pray to the Mage instead.

My Priest sits there and does nothing. Since everyone's at full life, he can't actually do anything anyway.

The Evil Pebble From Hell casts Death.
    Naturally, my entire party dies, I lose 1/2 my gold, get sent back to the airship on the other side of the planet, and lose the last hour and a half I spent leveling up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelda64Gld View Post
    FUKC YUO GOAT FUCKRE!!!111

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.14%

Yeah, I really hate random encounters, too. They were great back in the day, but they are clearly inferior to the encounter methods used in games like Star Ocean 3. Hell, even Wild Arms 3 (Wild Arms has always had a rather old-school playing style) let's you fill up a meter to avoid random encounters... I agree with you fully.

EDIT: Kairyu, that was the funniest thing I've read all week. You deserve a cookie.
    Proud sponsor of the Oh, God of hangovers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.65%

Funny you mention that, I just got WA3 and have been playing it recently. That migrant gauge is really nice since you can skip battles while solving a puzzle or you just don't feel like fighting. Story sucks, but at least that feature is nice.

I hate when characters do things that goes against their personality. We all know the badass who wouldn't want to go crusading with the other characters, but does anyway (i.e. Amarant in FF9 or Jet in WA3). This generally feels like a cop-out on the designers' part, since they obviously wanted to have that character join you but couldn't figure out a good excuse why.

I also don't like when the levels are mostly of the same type. Not every level should be a temple, or cave, or whatever may be the case. It also feels stupid when there are set 'levels' dotting the world. It makes it feel really fake. Good RPGs have challenges everywhere, including the towns when the storyline calls for it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37%

Quote Originally Posted by Cloral
    I hate when characters do things that goes against their personality. We all know the badass who wouldn't want to go crusading with the other characters, but does anyway (i.e. Amarant in FF9 or Jet in WA3)
    That is why Shadow (FFVI) is so cool. You have to pay him to be on your team!

teirh

Quote Originally Posted by Blonde799
    Story time.
    If you don't allow me to display all the the text in a message( or even worse, make pressing the skipping button close the damn window and/or kill the convo altogether!!!), YOU SHOULD GET HUNG!
    A few minutes of snail-slow scrolling text is enough to bring on an insanity attack. I CAN READ! Nobody talks that slowly, especially when the are saying things like "we have precious little time before Daemon-Foo-Chaos Evil Cloak Man blows up the moon."

Thread Information