0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.4%

Re: 2.11 Beta 1 Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Britannianhero4
    That'll make layering hell though. I mean, think about it. They'd have to be two different systems, practically. O_o
    I got around this in my game by allowing the player to change the layer he is drawn on. If he's noted as 'layer 2', he's drawn between 2 and 3. If he's on 'layer 4', he'd drawn between 4 and 5.

The Z variable in ZC, I imagine, will allow for some LttP style layer effects, possibly affecting how the player interacts with layers above 2.

Regarding your quote, BH4, layering isn't a problem. If I want an item on layer 3, I just place it on the screen that corresponds to that layer. This isn't necessarily the way it's done in ZC, but there's as chance it might be in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.49%

From what DN's said so far, I don't think the Z-variable is used for layering at all. Currently it sounds like what it does is act as a Y-displacement in order to make things like Vires and Keese look like they are moving upwards. In the future this could allow Link to jump by modifying the z value - as long as it was above 0, Link would not be touching the ground and therefore would be immune to ground-based stuff like pits. But I doubt this would allow Link to jump to a new layer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    95.55%

Good point, but things like falling keys would also work like that as well.

Also, it just occured to me that cliffs, at least in the gameboy version, are just tiles that force a jump over the tile(and others) from just one directiion. Nothing special reguarding layers would needed to make such an effect.
    The name might be missleading, I'm not jigglypuff.

"...A Bible! A Bible! We have got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible."
    Second Nephi 29:3

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    87.95%

Yes. The way cliffs work in 2d Zelda games is very simple... When Link jumps off, he keeps going until he has cleared all solid combos. This includes rocks, trees, boulders and what-have-you.
    There's a really great example of this in LttP where you can jump off a ledge on Death Mountain and you will go past the stationary boulders on the ground before landing.
    ~Dart Zaidyer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    94.49%

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Nation
    10. Sprites now have a Z variable.
    So, this basically means you now have an easier time measuring the height for sprites? If so, I think RPG Maker 2 helped me understand programming better than I thought.:)

I'm getting a feeling of Vuja De - where you know you've seen it before, but don't want to remember it.- Ganonator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.49%

Actually I just had another thought. Might you make a rule in future versions to make the enemy jumping more accurate? What I mean is, with Vires and Pols Voice, might you make it so when they jump, they cannot be hit because it's Z value doesn't match Link's?
    Some interesting things could be done with stuff like this - there could be bats that only swoop down to attack and otherwise are too high to hit unless Link jumps up to hit them. Maybe Patra would be hittable while flying around so long as Link jumps up to their level. You could also have the skeletons from LttP that jump when you try to slash them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.38%

Quote Originally Posted by Cloral
    Some interesting things could be done with stuff like this - there could be bats that only swoop down to attack and otherwise are too high to hit unless Link jumps up to hit them
    that brings up an interesting suggestion - Z value for tiles, so jumping off cliffs could be possible?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    87.95%

That sounds like convoluting a perfectly simple idea, if you ask me.

No 2d Zelda game *ever* kept track of height that way. The way it's done now, sprites having a Z variable to make it look like they're flying, is the way Nintendo did it.

When Link jumped off a cliff, it was an illusion. It looked like he was jumping, but what he was really doing was going through a fake animation like Tektites do as he moved across the solid combos.

By the way, has anyone noticed the Roc's Feather/Cape only worked when jumping over non-solid combos? If you ran into a wall or a block or a pot, it would block you.
    ~Dart Zaidyer

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    97.82%

Here's the changes so far for ZC 2.11 Beta 1:

6. The tile format has been reworked. At the moment, the change should be transparent to the user. However, this change will allow for new tile formats in the future (256-color tiles, 16-bit tiles, true-color tiles, etc.).
    So how close are we to this future? Cause I would so love to have more color per Cset.

PrinceMSC
    For you screen shot lovers, you can feast on this.

Adventure Island

Screen Shot of the Week Record 7 Wins 2 Losses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    61.68%

6. The tile format has been reworked. At the moment, the change should be transparent to the user. However, this change will allow for new tile formats in the future (256-color tiles, 16-bit tiles, true-color tiles, etc.).
    Is this meaning that we will be obtaining the ability to rip SNES palettes, and GBA palettes easily in the future?

One question, are you going to be adding the new warp system that was being talked about and stuff?

Thread Information