Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    25.77%

Command Line Editing

I can't seem to remember what to add to the shortcut to get ZC to run windowed. Can someone help me out?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.23%

Re: Command Line Editing

fatcatfan had a sticky with the command line options, somebody seems to have removed it ?????

------------------
    ZELDA and ZQUEST command line options
    What follows is, I think, a complete list of command line options for zelda and zquest. If you know of others, please post them here. And it might be a good idea for someone to either add this to some kind of help file, or make this topic sticky.

code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------common
    ------
    -s //Disable sound
    -nosound //Disable sound
    -q //cause program to quit immediately

DOS MODE ONLY GRAPHICS MODES
    -modex | -vesa1 | -vesa2b | -vesa2l | -vesa3

WINDOWS GRAPHICS MODES
    -fullscreen [-directx [-soft | -safe]]
    -windowed [-directx | -gdi]

zelda*.exe
    ----------
    -res x y [big] //attempt to use screen resolution of x,y.
    //big optionally enlarges gameplay screen to 512x448
    -v0 | -v1 //vsync off / on
    -fast //skip agn logo and title screen

zquest*.exe
    -----------
    -new //override the option to open the last edited
    //quest at startup.
    -large //experimental larger size windowed zquest
    //expect this to vanish until it's perfected
    X:\filepath\filename.qst //load filename.qst on start

----------------------------------------------------------------------

well, the way ZC is currently programmed, there are really only *two* resolutions. for the gameplay screen - 256x224 or 512x448. All a larger setting will do is make the window bigger with blank space surrounding the centered game screen. In fact this would actually cause ZC to consume more resources and run more slowly because ther screen blits would be bigger. Hopefully I'll be able to remedy this size limitation at some point. So you should either enter the command line the way I showed in the attachment, or change it to 256x224 and remove "big". Of course these resolutions aren't likely to work in fullscreen mode unless your card supports them, so you'd need to use 320x240 or 640x480 for fullscreen.

What beta are you trying this on when you get the error? At one time (not sure when it vanished) there was some kind of bug with specifying a resolution other than what was already in ag.cfg. Another way to specify the resolution is to edit ag.cfg. Look for "resx" and "resy" in there, as well as "sbig". Make sbig=1 to enable the large size. Then all you'd need on your command line is the "-windowed".

----------------------------------------------------------------------

so long as the path doesn't have spaces, the shortcut works without quotes.

Something else, there's a bug which can cause ZC crash reading the command line. This is fixed for the next beta, but for now, if you end the command line with a "-res" *without* a "big" zc will crash. For example
    zelda-w.exe -res 320 240 *crashes*
    zelda-w.exe -res 320 240 big *doesn't crash*
    zelda-w.exe -res 320 240 -windowed *doesn't crash*

-------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -fast //skip agn logo and title screen
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love it. No offense to AGN, but the flame gets really old after starting zelda for the 1000th time.

code:---------------------------------------------------------------------------------res x y [big] //attempt to use screen resolution of x,y.
    //big optionally enlarges gameplay screen to 512x448--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That applies to windowed of fullscreen version. Technically, though, there are only two screen resolutions for zelda - 256x224 or 512x448. These are controlled by the "big" option. The res x,y part only really changes the size of the window, or tries to set the fullscreen mode to that resolution. You can actually put "-res 256 224 big" and only be able to see an enlarged center of the play screen. Not useful, but you can do it.

And there still isn't an option for larger ZQuest resolutions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is kinda old, but I feel I should point something out here. When making a shortcut to a Windows app in WinXP, you must enclose the shortcut in quotes and put any command-line options outside the quotes. In any other circumstance though (DOS app, not WinXP), you must not include the quotes. That's where the confusion about the quotes came from.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    :O)

ZC information I've compiled and my quests
    Adventure Tileset
    Elise's Zelda Classic

Don't ever buy an MTD Product, it's cheap over-priced garbage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.04%

What is the command line to increase the windowed size? The 210 windowed size is too small.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.52%

I believe it's -res (value)x(value). I'm not quite sure, as I've never used it before. it seems like that was it, though

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    73.55%

its -res (x) (y)

for example -res 800 600 would make it zelda classic open in a 800x600 window. however the biggest actual gameplay resolution is something like 514 448 or something. still kinda small but I will take it as opposed to having to hit the windows key to try to check something (such as this website or a doc.) for help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.52%

actually, there's another command for this for ZQuest, which is -scale 2. it's a little buggy, but it doubles the size of the windowed screen

Thread Information