Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.45%

Quest Rating system

I was looking at the quest ratings on the database and noticed that the top rated quests have a whopping 3 hearts, most are lower, and many people don't even bother to rate at all.

Seems to me that all the time spent making these quests is pretty much being wasted since there are none considered better then "fair" according to the player responses.

Where is the incentive to continue bothering with building them since it seems they sure aren't being appreciated much?

Maybe this is why so few of the oldtimers don't even bother to release quests any more.
    :O)

ZC information I've compiled and my quests
    Adventure Tileset
    Elise's Zelda Classic

Don't ever buy an MTD Product, it's cheap over-priced garbage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.27%

Re: Quest Rating system

I was just about to contact a person who works on the QDB, like Eckels, about this problem. The top rated quests are rated ridiculously low. The QDB is great and all, but in my opinion the rating system should be something like at PureZC: To rate a quest you have to post a comment. That would probably prevent most of the unfair ratings.
    --------------------
    "GET a stable version, THEN add more with the builds, DON'T just keep adding bloat to something that doesn't work already.
    Has common sense just left the building, or what?" -Freedom

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.96%

there are people, freelancer for instance, who have gone through the db and given 0 ratings for like 40 or more quests. Thats why the ratings look as they do.
    They have all been warned. And so far no one has done it again. At some point i'll write a script to purge those ratings, but i havent had time yet.

I don't want to have a system like PureZC's. I'd rather leave it this way, and deal with the abusers seperately. What I may do, is make a list pop up when you click on the hearts that show what each user rated the quest as. that way the public would see what a person is voting. That would make it clearer
    when someone is abusing the system, and it would also kind of work as an endorsing system. "well lets see, it says that "this person" likes this quest, and he's usually pretty picky, etc.."

also please keep in mind, the qdb is still relatively new. over time, more ratings will be added to the db, and the ratings will average out much better. and individual zeroes and such won't be as much of a factor. But they will be dealt with, don't worry.

<Eckels> 70% of all statistics are made up on the spot
    <moocow> really?

<Eckels> it's funnier and safer if i dont use my real penis

[13:58] <Breaker\idiot> im not an idiot, eckels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.66%

It would be great if it's visible who rated and with what rate cause the way it's now they are abusing it, and if thats not bad enough it also makes good Questmakers doubt if they even have to make other quests.
    I personal think it would be a great loss if questmakers stop making quests because of the rating system

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    38.33%

Sorry about what I did, I think it was rude and I think we should just let the mods and admins rate quests, because people like me will act like bullies. The rating system is only for you to know what quests are good right? So maby my suggestion is usefull. (not being mean :) ) I really hope we can deal with these problems.
    2005 - 2007 Defender's Academy II project to be released at the turn of 2007-2008. With awesome graphics (I'm honest. Sorry that KKA didn't have what I said it had : ( ), dynamic plots, bonus-featurs, side-quests, a huge map bristling with creativity and mastery, you'll agree that this quest is very good. Don't miss out on the great bosses that I'll create either. Each one will take days to build, and will be a fun challenge that will test your wits. Email me for information or screenshots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.45%

That's quite an apology, you knew better but did it anyway, now you suggest that only Mods and Admins should rate quests, because people like you can't be trusted to do the right thing huh?

Sure these problems could be dealt with, they could start by banning people like you who abuse the the rating system in the first place.

The people that PLAY the quests are the ones who should decide what is good and not, otherwise the whole rating system is worthless and should be removed all together.

Adventure Tileset
    Elise's Zelda Classic

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.63%

I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Just because the ratings are low doesn't mean the work you guys do is underappreciated. It is much appreciated, trust me :)
    I know making a quest takes forever (i've worked on a few quests over the years finishing none, though i'd like to finish one oneday), but the work you guys do is great. don't let that stupid rating system get the better of you! keep up the great work
    -manny

p.s. freedom i just started your quest swansong yesterday in my spare time. haven't done much but i love your pallets and tileset. looks great so far.
    vi skaaler for vore venner og dem som vi kender, og dem som vi ikke kender, demskaaler vi for! og min pik er stor!

Slash

still...almost ALL the quests are rated 3
    however, some rated-3 quests are WAY better than other rated-3 quests

for me it's just a number that doesn't mean a thing
    I do hope however that one day it'll become a clear indicator of the quest quality

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    62.91%

I would be in there rating the ones I have played, but I log in, and it says I am not logged in. I can log in a million times to rate a quest, or make comments, and it will say, Please log in, or whatever it says. I'm guessing I am not the only one that this problem happens to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.45%

same here, I PM'ed Eckels about it a few weeks ago.

Adventure Tileset
    Elise's Zelda Classic

Thread Information