3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.35%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 - Triple Thrill Pack:

Man. You know what I love? It just amazes me to see that they have a game package including every expansion for a game, as well as the game itself, for the same price as any one expansion pack. Think about that for a moment. Heh. .. Gotta love it. ... Especially when it's all only $20.

This is really amazing. It all fits onto one CD. Contained within, there are so many themes and items, ... I doubt I've ever seen so many in my life. I mean, they even top the items and themes in Morrowind! (And those who've played it know what I mean. ) Heh. Yeah, there are at least fifteen different themes to choose from for your park, each with over .. Let's say... 60 theme items, I suppose. More or less, per each. It varies, of course, between sets. You can also support multiple themes per park.

The game(s) also come(s) with a scenario editor. It's fairly simple and intuitive. You work it one step at a time. First, you set up the themes, and what's available to you in the scenario. Then you edit all of the terrain to suit your liking, placing down any and all theme objects (MINUS the actual rides and attractions. Only things like theme items, signs, benches, garbage cans, lamps, tunnels, walkways, etc can be placed here.) .. Oh, as well as your Entrance, and where the guests spawn from. The next screen is the invention screen. Basically you drag items into two groups - One which has already been researched, and the next is what has to be researched next. I suppose it goes on the order of the list. The next stop is to set the park stats, such as money, guest happiness, thirst, and hunger, and the next step is to set the scenario briefing and objectives. The next step is to just save it. :p It's pretty nice, as a whole. You can only give yourself $10,000 maximum, but you can set the maximum loan as high as you'd like. I set it for $1,500,000 recently. Apparently it can go that high. The annual interest rate can go no lower than 5% though. .. Meh. No problem. The "standard" appears to be 9%.

The engine, however, is exactly the same as the first game. I mean, EXACTLY THE SAME! With the exception of the placement of the top central row of buttons, the misplacement of a few things, and the addition of a "Remove Scenery" button, and the nifty ability to move object height via the shift key and the up/down movement of the mouse, .. there really isn't all that much new. (The financian screen and research screen are now hidden somewhere. Ah, the financial screen is a little button in the research screen, and the research screen is just to the right of the tab that lets you build food / information stalls. ... They really like hiding those things from you apparently.

The scenario design is much better than in the last game though. You'll see some REALLY cool stuff here. The pre-designed scenarios look so cool! The first one, Sherwood Park, where you're building a theme park in the center of a forest with Robin hood and such, (And obviously, themed appropriately for the situation.) is already built for you, you just have to get $1000 a month (ANY month, actually. Just one will do, thankfully.) in ride ticket revenue. Not difficult at all. Just build one more rollercoaster, and set it for $5. The scenario is really beautiful. There are flowers and trees everywhere, and spiked wooden post-fences all around. It's really a sight to see.

I suppose if you've never tried the first game, you'll jump out of your socks at all the great things you can do here. If you have, though, you'll find a few abilities to be interesting, such as the ability to place those TV's in quoe lines, and placing a roof of some sort onto a quoe line. (Though you can do that anywhere. I really like the new details you can do. That placing of objects at any height, is a real gift to people. Really. There's very little you can't do now that you couldn't do before, or at least that you wanted to.

Of course, making Rollercoasters is still hard, even with the track designer. It's a very nice piece of work, but you still have a lot of trouble connecting track pieces, or making tight squeezes. It's still very difficult, but at LEAST we don't have to spend our hard earned money designing a rollercoaster mid-scenario. That's really very nice.

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    86.11%

Re: Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 - Triple Thrill Pack:

Yeah, RCT is the best game EVER! EVER! I find the roller coaster design very easy. Themeing is the hard part, though, as lots of times things will look stupid unless done exactly right...

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.35%

Y'know, it's odd. I'm exactly the opposite way. I really enjoy theming water parks, (MAN I wish the guests had changing rooms to get into bathing suits. >_< ) and medieval themed areas. I love setting waterfalls and such. As for the rollercoasters, I always have such great ideas for them, but I usually fail somewhere in the construction, i.e. adding things too close, or things that hit the ground too fast, or forgetting a crucial piece somewhere early. (BTW, I'm talking about the heavy-duty rollercoasters.) Again, I also find making rollercoasters in really tight spaces to be difficult. Maybe I should stick to mini-coasters. .. But I would also like to build a few underground.

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    44.92%

Rollercoaster Tycoon is awesome. I don't own the Time Twister expansion, but I was told it was just themes mostly. Thats cool though, but its 12.99 and the third game is just around the corner. Although, I'll probably not get it, the demo ran EXTREMELY bad on my machine. Even Doom 3 runs alot better.

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.35%

What speed is your computer then? I've got an AMD Athlon 1700 512 MB Ram. And I'm playing RCT2 on my PII 300 MHZ 256 MB Ram with about 300 MB's left of free space on it. Heehee... Runs very, very well. (BTW, you mean that the RCT3 ran poorly, right?

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    44.92%

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper
    Although, I'll probably not get it, the demo ran EXTREMELY bad on my machine. Even Doom 3 runs alot better.
    Yes, I'm talking about the demo to RCT3. Which according to this, the requirements are...

Operating System: Windows® 98/Me/2000/XP (Windows® XP recommended)
    Processor: Pentium® III 733 MHz or compatible (Pentium® 4 1.2 GHz or compatible recommended)
    Memory: 128 MB RAM; 256 MB for XP (256 MB; 384 MB for XP recommended)
    Hard Disk Space: 600 MB free
    CD-ROM Drive: 4X CD-ROM or faster (8X or faster recommended)
    Video:Any ATI Radeon™ or GeForce™ 2 with 32MB or higher; or other video card with 32MB and hardware T&L (ATI Radeon™ 64 MB SDR or GeForce™ 2 Pro or other video card with 64 MB or more memory and hardware T&L recommended)*
    Sound: Windows® 98/Me/2000/XP-compatible 16-bit sound card*
    DirectX®: DirectX® version 9 (included) or higher

These are far less than Doom 3, and I ran that pretty well.

Thread Information