Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    86.04%

Tales of Phantasia Patch help?

I've gotten the Dejap Final ToP translation. It came with four patches. I've read the readme and applied them all, but none work. They always say checksum:fail. I use ZSNESW 1.36 and my ROM is not interlaced. Can anyone please tell me which one to use or supply one that will work? (Patch, not ROM) And I only want the final, not the old beta.

Thank you. :)

Monica
    ~~~
    [12:41] heroknight21: Yeah, I've got Netzero.
    [12:41] MetallixGirl84: Eww lol
    [12:41] heroknight21: Yeah. Makes the internet look like vomit for only $5 more a month!

~~~
    AIM: MetallixGirl84 MSN: [email protected] Yahoo: MetallixGirl84
    Xanga Myspace

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.96%

Re: Tales of Phantasia Patch help?

If you check out the read me file that comes with the download, the different patches are:

1. For an interleaved ROM - lowercase fonts in game
    2. For an interleaved ROM - uppercase fonts in game
    3. For a non-interleaved ROM - lowercase fonts in game
    4. For a non-interleaved ROM - uppercase fonts in game

So, pick one of the interleaved or non-interleaved ones, based on what your ROM is, and then the upper or lower case, depending on which looks better to you in game. (I can't remember which one I chose, but I know I liked one a lot better). Since you're using ZSNES, if you have the original Japanese ROM, you don't have to apply the patch to it. ZSNES does "on the fly" IPS patching. So what you do is name the patch you want to use exactly the same as your ROM (except the exception), put it in the same directory as your ROM, and ZSNES will apply that "on the fly" when you play, without changing the original ROM.

Example:
    - You Tales ROM is named top.smc
    - Rename the patch you want to top.ips

I tried playing ToP, but I could not get into it. The graphics were a big step down from Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2), and the battle system was too awkward and poorly executed. Thankfully Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube has vastly improved the Tales linear motion battle system, and it is a great game - I highly recommend it.

Also, I'm not positive on the release date, but Nintendo Power has Tales of Phantasia on their list for upcoming GBA games, so Namco might be translating it and bringing it over here for the first time, in which case you won't need the ROM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    86.04%

Yep I knew all that, I'm saying none worked, but I figured out it was because it was a ROM without the header. I found a patched one though. :) I got ToS on my birthday and I love it! That's why I wanted the ROM because I had never finished it. :)

Monica
    ~~~
    [12:41] heroknight21: Yeah, I've got Netzero.
    [12:41] MetallixGirl84: Eww lol
    [12:41] heroknight21: Yeah. Makes the internet look like vomit for only $5 more a month!

~~~
    AIM: MetallixGirl84 MSN: [email protected] Yahoo: MetallixGirl84
    Xanga Myspace

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.96%

Glad it worked out for you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.61%

I really liked ToP, although there were way too many random battles. And did it bother anyone else that your main focus through a large part of the game is to get in contact with Luna, but when you finally reach Midgard, going to see Luna is suddenly a sidequest (albeit a required one)? It makes all that earlier stuff seem pretty pointless.

NerdWarrior

Luna is really a sidequest to begin with, since Klarth says something to the effect of, "We need Luna's power to defeat Dhaos, etc., etc." Granted, it takes a long time to get there, but by then your characters should be at a pretty decent level for Dhaos' Castle (bleh).

Thread Information