0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.65%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Rare VideoGame Hardware Stuff

How many members do we have here that know anything about, or perhaps have any of the rare hardware that has been made for various ussually cartridge based systems? I think the most common thing members might have would be what's recent, being the GameBoy Advance flash card sets.

So have you heard about these things before? Do you own any? Would you like to own any?

I have gotten my first recently, tuesday infact. I got a "Game Doctor SFIII" which is a Super Famicom (japanese SNES) bakup device/copier. It's really fun to play all these SNES games that I never aqquired on a real system. For anyone who doesn't know about these copiers they have onboard RAM which is loaded with the ROM of a game. You load it from various sources depending on the unit. Older consoles, like SNES and Genesis ussually loaded from Floppy disks (standard 3.5") while later ones like the N64 used CD-Roms or even Zip Disks.

I was going to get a Z64 awhile back, but the price tag was just way too much. Around 300$. Too much money for probably only a handfull of N64 games to play.

Back to the SNES, my GDSF3 only has the standard 16Mbits of ram, which means I can only load ROMs of 16Mbits or less, aka 2Mbytes. I plan to buy more memory though to boost it to 32Mbits (4MBytes) so I'll be able to load any game that was released in USA, as no games released here ever exceeded 32.

I don't know if I'd wanna get another device though unless it were another better one for SNES. Considering the cost of these units you better like alot of games to consider buying one. Although I've found the Game Doctor series for SNES/SFC isn't too bad at all. You can probably get one for around 60$.

Now back to playing good old Super Nintendo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.84%

Re: Rare VideoGame Hardware Stuff

I heard a type of harddrive used in arcades is so rare, you can't even upgrade Pop'n Music 8 to 9 without it. I think it's like the firebird or something.
    'Zounds, ye whore! is black so base a hue?

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.55%

I'm not sure of its rarity, but at somp point in the next 2 years I will own a power glove...I must own the power glove.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    89.89%

Nothing beyond the Afterburner light for GBA.
    ...we'd appreciate it if one or both legs were removable so that we could spin you around like a basketball perched on the end of Koby Bryant's middle finger. - T.C. Luoma

My john thomas is gonna pop off and fly around the room there's so much tasty in here! - Jayne

Freedom of Speach? US vs China

Dattebayo

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.65%

Well, as far as aracde games requiring a specific model harddisk, Killer Instinct (one of the best games EVER) used a rare now impossible to find SeaGate Laptop harddisk. If you didn't have the exact model of drive, the game will not work. Later arcade game makers stopped this practice because of operators bitching about harddisks failing and then being impossible to replace.

Anyways, a couple other most honesnt but rare hardware I have are a near mint condition, with box, nintendo powerpad. And I have the Nintendo Super Scope. No box with it though. The aiming sight though ofcourse.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.97%

Quote Originally Posted by Mottzilla
    , Killer Instinct (one of the best games EVER) used a rare now impossible to find SeaGate Laptop harddisk.
    I LOVED Killer Instinct. I was so glad when the arcade I worked at got the game. Jago was my favorite player, and I could do Ultra Combos with him (and also with B. Orchid. I could sometimes do Ultra Combos with Fulgore and Chief Thunder,but those were usually by accident). I never could do shadow moves though.

I later played Killer Instinct 2 at another arcade, but I never got into it as much.

Mott, with your Game Doctor thing you got, you load a ROM into it and plug it into your SNES to play the game? I don't suppose you can play Seiken Densetsu 3? I think that one may have been 48 bits...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.65%

I have a pocket size book for KI listing all the ultras, and ultimates. The shadow moves can only be done AFTER performing a combo breaker. KI2, I agree, never got into it that much.

With the GameDoctor, it's a unit that actually sits ontop of my machine, which connects in the cartridge port. When the system is turned on, in my case the Super Famicom, depending on if I have a floppy in the disk drive of the game doctor, or if I hold R, or if there is no game loaded in memory already, I get the bios menu. From the bios you can control things like loading new roms, saving and loading SRAM (save games) as well as backing up cartridges.

Seiken Densetsu 3 is 32mbits. There are only 4 games larger than 32mbits. All are japanese games. All I believe are RPGs. Star Ocean (needs SDD1 chip), Far East of Eden Zero (needs spc7110 and rtc chip), Daikaijuu Monogatari 2, and Talse of Phantasia. All other games are 32mbits or less. Once I aqquire the other 16mbits I'll be set. Right now I only have half that I need. Still that's enough to load many games, such as secret of mana or final fantasy 4. It's quite alot of fun. =) Definitely worth the money. I got mine WITH a super famicom and multitap for 51$.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.97%

Tales of Phantasia, yeah that was the 48 bit one I've played. I didn't play it long though. I couldn't get the hang of the linear battle system, and it's graphics looked poor compared to SD3's. (in my opinion anyways) Thankfully the linear battle system in Tales of Symphonia is much better than the one in Phantasia.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.65%

I really wanna get SD3 to run on my copier (need more ram) because I'm far more likely to play a long rpg on a console than my PC. I've been playing Secret of Mana lately. I am on the wall with the eyes right now. I really wish I had more many for the sprite. :O Now, did the Walnuts regen mana points? lol.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    67.3%

where can i buy one because i was never sure if i could trust lik-sang.com and ebay dosnt allow them
    end of passion play crumbling away i'm youre sourse of self destruction
    veins that pump with fear sucking darkest clear
    leaning on your deaths construction
    taste me you will see
    more is all you need
    you're dedicated to
    how im killing you
    come crawling faster
    obey your master
    your life burns faster
    obey your master
    master