Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.66%

Brainstorming the Conveyor Bug

Well, this is a bug that's been around ever since conveyors were introduced. It is much less pronounced now, but still there. So I think we should brainstorm as to why it occurs and ways to prevent it. So many quests use conveyors now that it really gets annoying when you're playing and suddenly Link becomes uncontrollable.

I seem to recall someone saying that it happens because Link gets off the movement grid. In this case he needs to be snapped back onto it whenever he changes direction. True, but that seems to already be attempted. Perhaps what is happening is Link tries to snap back to the grid, but the conveyor continues to act on him, pushing him past the grid and making him misaligned.

BTW, when I say Link snaps to the grid, I mean how he will move a little further to ensure his movement is on some 8x8 boundry. For instance, try moving Link a pixel or 2 to the right and then walk up. He'll move more to the right first until he's on the 8x8 boundry before moving upward.

Another option I think would be to leave Link misaligned while on the conveyors and only realign him when he leaves them. One benefit to this would be that his movement on the conveyors would be a lot easier to control. Unfortunately, this wouldn't alleviate the problem when Link leaves the conveyor, it would likely still misalign him. So the first solution would still have to be implemented to prevent that.

Anyone care to add to this?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.24%

Re: Brainstorming the Conveyor Bug

huh.......I've never really had problems working with conveyor belts. Probably not as nitpicky.
    "If anybody says him/her/it without defining what they're talking about, the conversation is automatically about my p.e.n.i.s. :-D" - Wild Bill
    "Design ideas come to me during fetid fits of masturbation." - C-Dawg
    "I want to give NoeL a blowjob! ^_^" - Peteo
    "The magic boob should be mine any minute!" - Koopa
    "Suicide is the most sincere form of self-criticism" - My Film Professor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.63%

show me a little quest with this problem still in it, and I'll see what can be done. I haven't had any problems in any build past 180 (not including 180), so I don't know what to say.

Robots in Disguise
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    61.8%

The problem with Link getting misaligned from conveyors was fixed, I thought. The only problem (I think) was that if you let Link ride the conveyor to the end, it would sometimes cause him to... stutter (for lack of a better word) at the end because the conveyor would push him off the grid at the end and the game engine would re-align him back to the grid, which would put him back on the conveyor, and the process would repeat. Not sure if this still happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.29%

In my current quest I have an area where conveyors are several wide and then covered with ice sheets on layer 1 (or 2) and wind on layer 3 to make it seem he is in a wind tunnel of sorts.
    Link gets out of control in that situation to the point he sometimes is thrown clear up onto the wall and then stuck there.
    I haven't had any problems using conveyors single wide.
    :O)

ZC information I've compiled and my quests
    Adventure Tileset
    Elise's Zelda Classic

Don't ever buy an MTD Product, it's cheap over-priced garbage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    49.29%

Also, problems can occur when Link is moving from a conveyer of one direction to a conveyer of another direction.
    Current Quests in Progress...
    Zelda: Eya's Song

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.37%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Exactly!

Sprinkle a whole mess of conveyors within a 7x5 area or so, completely randomly, and then put in a bunch of unwalkable blocks or statues. .. Then Poke link with a stick to make him go into the nausea-inducing field of moving floors, and watch as he alarmingly quickly refuses to move.

However, swinging the sword can often free him of this "lock." .. Yes, he can only go in two directions (Parallel to his direction of getting stuck.) when he gets stuck. I wonder why this is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.63%

OK.. I just played crazychris' (sp?) new quest, and there is a part where conveyors going North push you into conveyors going east and west. I get WHACKED off of the grid, I have to push the down button to move left, as no other buttons work.

It also occured to me why I've never had this problem - I use evil conveyors instead of mixed ones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    95.76%

The best solution could be to make the grid smaller, that is, perhaps the grid is sized at one pixel, which would allow for very fine movements. I know that diagonal movement is still ways off, however.

Actually, adding combos that act like diagonal walls might be easier to code in than you think. All a wall or slope does, is cause you to appear above or below a point of contact, and of course done on a small scale would allow for the illusion of a diagonal wall.

Meh, just a thought.
    The name might be missleading, I'm not jigglypuff.

"...A Bible! A Bible! We have got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible."
    Second Nephi 29:3

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.39%

Quote Originally Posted by Jigglysaint
    The best solution could be to make the grid smaller, that is, perhaps the grid is sized at one pixel, which would allow for very fine movements. I know that diagonal movement is still ways off, however.

Actually, adding combos that act like diagonal walls might be easier to code in than you think. All a wall or slope does, is cause you to appear above or below a point of contact, and of course done on a small scale would allow for the illusion of a diagonal wall.

Meh, just a thought.
    Doing this, we would need to re-do how we make the walkable combos. :) If we make it so that we can select walkability to each pixel of every tile. :p It would add greater abilities to those who make quests. :)

Thread Information