Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.77%

Fun router stuff

alright, here's the background. i recentlu moved into an apartment, and between my roommate and i, we have 4 computers. since we're planning on getting cable internet shortly, we've figured that we should go ahead and set up all of the computers on a router, so as to be able to play LAN games. now here's the fun part. i don't know much about routers. can someone explain the basics of them, or even the average price of a decent router?
    [mp]137[/mp]
    You cannot know what women want (we don't even know that ourselves)-carrot red
    Anyway, don't call your girl a cunt. Most bitches hate it.-moocow
    Girls are confusing, and half the time, don't even know what they want. -Moocow
    <·15:39:10·Ibis·> nothing says I love you like phlem

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.05%

Re: Fun router stuff

I know at home my dad got a router. The cable goes to the cable box, then an ethernet cable goes from the cable box to the router. Then I think you need to have a main computer that needs to be on in order for the network to work. Then you plug in other computers and can even have wireless. I think it's a linksys router and it cost under $100, but don't hold me to that.

Download Kirby Browser!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.18%

We have a Linksys 4 port switch router, and it is great. Plus its really easy to setup. All the setup is done via a web interface to the router, so I can open a browser on any machine connected to the router, type in a special address, and config to my hearts content!

A neat thing our router does is it "dials" our DSL connection for us and keeps it alive. Plus it acts as a firewall so I can have services setup between our computers than only we can see (like printer sharing, FTP, ssh, apache)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.81%

I have a linksys as well. it's really easy to use, even I can set it up (I suck at the hardware aspect[s] of computers :p). I have it hooked up to this computer and my brother's (it's only his because he's the only one that uses it). and from what my dad told me, it's very cheap... as far as routers go, anyway, I guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    95.52%

I think the one I got at Best Buy was somewhere between $50 and $100 (for another Linksys 4-port thing). Sorry I can't be more specific price-wise, as it was about 2 1/2 years ago when I bought that.

As has already been pointed out, it's easy to set up: You connect the router to the cable box as though it were a computer to connect to the internet, then you hook all your computers to the router via Cat5 cable. The typical cable-modem-sharing router (a) acts as a firewall, (b) assigns virtual IP addresses to your computers, and (c) provides a web interface that you can access through any computer connected to the router. Depending on your ISP, you may have to do a little configuration of the router in order to get it to talk to your cable modem properly, but getting it to talk to the computers should be really easy. With the router I had, I plugged the cable in and a computer was immediately connected, using the default internet settings provided by both Windows and Linux.

As the lunatic responsible for its creation, I'm wondering what exactly I was smoking when I came up with it. -- Shadowblazer, referring to the old star system

My Mage Points: [mp]227[/mp]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.08%

Dude you could just have your own little LAN party with like Unreal Tournament or something.
    Live forever or die trying.
    Don't ruin good things with good things.
    Scars > Tatoos

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    59.02%

My brother got a 2.4 GHz Linksys router for about 100$. If you're unsure, ask about Tech support available. It's usually free.
    A girl and a boy bump into each other - surely an accident. A girl and a boy bump and her handkerchief drops - surely another accident. But when a girl gives a boy a dead squid - that has to mean something.

Thread Information