Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    56.07%

The worst 100 movies.

Saw this site just recently, and it displays the 100 worst movies as voted by the visitors of the website.

http://us.imdb.com/bottom_100_films

Just for the record, I decided to examine which decade the movies came out in...I tallied them up.

2000-2003:xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xx
    1990-1999:xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx x
    1980-1989:xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx x
    1970-1979:xxxx
    1960-1969:xxx
    1950-1959:xx

Bold indicates projection of the 2000 decade movies...we are a little more than halfway through 2003, so divide 10 years by 3.6 = 2.7 * number of x's in 2000 = total number of projected x's rounded to nearest whole number (please correct me if my logic is wrong

Is anyone else surprised? In my opinion, I can conclude that the reason why movie sales are down are due to the number of shitty movies that are being released...and probably overhyped, as the more likely you are that you went to a bad movie, the more likely you are that you can call it bad from personal experience, barring those who rate movies badly even without seeing them.

Granted, the 2000's projection is a little better than the 90's, but again, this is only my rough estimation, and as you can see, we are pretty high up there anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.86%
    This isn't necessarily the worst movies, just the ones at the bottom of the user rating. However, it wasn't hard to figure that From Justin to Kelly would be below Gigli...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    91.96%
    the problem isn't that there are worse movies now, or even more of them, but that even the really bad movies are now so heavily promoted. as time goes on, people feel more ripped off when movies aren't spectacular. living in the fifties, sixties, and even seventies, just getting out of the house was alot more of the whole experience, not just going to see every big summer movie and finding out that they sucked. plus, the newer crap movies are still fresh on the mind, whereas some crappy movie you saw ten years ago probably isn't as annoying any more. Also, people probably have a lot less of a tendancy to go back and rate movies bad that were released way before the internet was around if they didn't really, really suck. [/rant]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    53.41%
    If you notice, every single police academy sequel is on that list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    94.97%
    Well, at least the TV series was good.:)

I'm getting a feeling of Vuja De - where you know you've seen it before, but don't want to remember it.- Ganonator

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.87%
    lmao.

From Justin to Kelly and Spice World were on there!!!

/me laughs harder.

/me sees From Justin to Kelly at the #1 spot.

/me cries from laughter.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.44%
    test
    Last edited by thePHeffect; 11-01-2016 at 11:16 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.58%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Re: The worst 100 movies.

Originally posted by AlexMax
    [B]

Is anyone else surprised? In my opinion, I can conclude that the reason why movie sales are down are due to the number of shitty movies that are being released...and probably overhyped, as the more likely you are that you went to a bad movie, the more likely you are that you can call it bad from personal experience, barring those who rate movies badly even without seeing them.

The only problem I have with this poll is that its done via a website, and its hopefully true that the largest majority of internet users are younger, many of them probably never having been born before the 1970s. The amount of reported bad films shoots up 5 fold from the 70s to the 80s, while it only doubles from the 80s and the 90s. If your projected forcast for the 00s is to be considered, then there is no appreciable difference between the 90s and 00s.

It can be said then that the most memorable films are going to be the ones people actually watched, and I don't think a 20 year old responding to the web poll is likely not going to have seen enough films from the 60s and 70s to be able to identify as many bad films from that era.

Another consideration might also be the volume of films produced. The movie industry has grown considerably in the past decade, especially after the 1960s and 1970s saw a decline in theartre patronage over the previous decades. It didn't seriously begin to pick up as it has until the mid 80s, I think. Increased audiences could also then a larger number of films being produced overall, which of course then increases the appearances of bad films.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    95.57%
    The fact that more recent movies are more common on the poll doesn't prove that movies are worse than they are. In fact, it most likely proves only that people are more familiar with (and therefore more likely to vote for) recent movies.

That doesn't mean that movies aren't getting worse; it only means that the poll doesn't prove it.

As the lunatic responsible for its creation, I'm wondering what exactly I was smoking when I came up with it. -- Shadowblazer, referring to the old star system

My Mage Points: [mp]227[/mp]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.19%
    I'm sorry but Plan 9 From Outer Space is a classic. It can't even be considered as a bad movie.

Thread Information