User Tag List

Thread: Violent Video Games

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    59.08%
    A girl and a boy bump into each other - surely an accident. A girl and a boy bump and her handkerchief drops - surely another accident. But when a girl gives a boy a dead squid - that has to mean something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    95.52%
    I somewhat argee on that, but the game does need to violent. More like it needs to be realistic.

I personally think that video games that are violent can dissenstize someone, but they can never make a person kill another.

If that is the case, then that person would need SERIOUS help(The Xbox told me to! :p :laugh: )!

Anyways, this is another "stating the obivious" article that I already knew.
    -Aegis Runestone-
    I'm NOT a girl! I just like cute girl avatars! ^_^
    "Wax, sticks in your mouth, not in your hand!" - Aegis
    "Power in your grasp is chaos without perfect control." - Aegis

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE; YOU WILL BE KAWAIIFIED
    I'm your local Sasami fanatic! Thanx To Snypa from the GU for the banner!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.59%
    Achievements It's over 9000!
    Originally posted by Aegis Runestone

I personally think that video games that are violent can dissenstize someone, but they can never make a person kill another.
    I strongly disagree. While in videogames, yes, I'm not at all fazed by somebody getting their head shot off, or seeing somebody's guts spill the floor. But in real life seeing actual bleeding as a result of violence does raise some level of concern on my part, even if its merely a scrape or cut.

EDIT: Didn't read the article quite yet. I had actually been aware of possible benefits in gaming beyond the usual hand to eye coordination. Somebody pointed out to me years ago that videogames actually seemed to encourage in people the ability to be more decisive and capable of changing decisions and making new ones as the game goes along, all in a fairly quick manner.

RR 4 Box 43 Loogootee, IN 47553 (feel free to send
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.59%
    They game doesn't have to be violent. Fast-paced racing games such as Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit II (I love that game ) probably speed reaction times.

A proud supporter of Retarded Monkeys
    Fatty Lumpkin

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    38.91%
    Personally, I like violent games more because it just seems to be more fun than games such as chess or racing games
    http://kolat.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote Originally Posted by AtmaWeapon
    When playing Zerg v. Mormons, it is wise to go straight to Hydras, since Mormon bikers can tear through lings like sharp knives through things being cut by knives and they are low on the tech tree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.68%
    Are they gonna make up their minds or what? At first violent games aren't good, no they are.:shrugs: That's modern-day society for ya.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.71%
    First of all, I am completely for obcenity. If a person has a violent personality, he will probably enjoy playing violent video games. That does not mean the games caused him to be violoent, that's just manipulation of facts. What then would explain the majority of people who play violent games and lead perfectly normal lives?
    There some people in this world who don't love their fellow man... and I HATE people like that.
    -Tom Lehrer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.62%
    The law, passed by the Washington legislature last month and signed last week by Locke, makes it illegal for children under 17 to rent or buy games that depict violence against police officers. Stores that break the rule may be fined as much as $500.

Now that is just gay...I love violent games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.6%
    Link101, that was my question. Why bring up GTA3 in good light? Is GTA3 one of the better games for the development of the positive skills listed in the article? Why not Gran Turismo, which has no questionable content, and probably has a more realistic perspective?

I could see the general facts being true though. It may develop some skills useful in more practical application.

However, I do still think that violent games can desensitize those who play it to their content, expecially the more realistic ones. It's not enough to make someone act that way in real life, but if the person is prone to those kind of feelings, it might potentially enbolden them, and it will reinforce those attitudes.
    Formerly GeepaMoogle

Quotes
    ...[T]hat men performe their Covenants made: without which, covenants are in vain, and but Empty words - Hobbe's Third Law of Nature (Justice)
    Never do anything phenomenally stupid. - Oxymandia's Axiom
    They say the worst thing about hell is that you can SEE heaven - Millicent M. Mudd
    Told what would have happened, child? No. Nobody is ever told that. But anyone can find out what will happen. - Aslan
    Ignorance is, clearly, the greatest humour. - tgf_guy
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it! - Unattributed
    I AM ZONDOR, FIFTH WIZARD OF THE ECHELION STATE! - tgf_guy the juror
    If you had felt yourself sufficient, it would have been proof you were not. - Aslan
    You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve, and that is both honor enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth. Be content. - Aslan

Current Projects
    Just back from Brazil
    Get back into Shattered Earth and/or Zelda Classic

Thread Information