Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.44%

Freeform Dungeon bugs

alright.. with the advent of Freeform Dungeons there are a couple things that are noticed right off the bat. the check for edges is two tiles in, and what that means is for every attack you send toward the edge of a screen - boomerang, wand, arrow, even sword beams, if there is an enemy on the edge edge of the screen, they can't be attacked like an overworld screen.

secondly, this is the way dungeons were intended, when you walk to the next screen in adjoining long wall freeform dungeons (there is no door, just a big gap) you KEEP WALKING past the checkpoint of the wall.. 2 or 3 blocks. This is a problem if you have some solid block only 2 blocks past the wall, cause you walk through it, even if its not on the border.. almost applying to above

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.56%
    #2 needs to be made so that it only occurs when you walk through a shutter that is going to close behind you. In normal dungeons, it only doesn't happen when you have a passage or an unlocked door, but in freeform it just gets in the way since the whole point is not having to use passages.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.75%
    Why are you even messing with Freeform dungeons? Lockblocks and animated combos make the whole dungeon dmap type obsolete. If it makes the code tighter, I'd suggest ditching dungeons altogether (maybe futzing up some Shutter combos to keep the kids happy), in the same way we've already ditched template screens. That'd go a long way towards simplifiying Zquest.

-C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.44%
    because i like shutters a bunch, and i don't know how the heck to make it so they work using combo animation. AND we are testing the feature, right?? might as well use it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    58.63%
    Originally posted by C-Dawg
    Why are you even messing with Freeform dungeons? Lockblocks and animated combos make the whole dungeon dmap type obsolete. If it makes the code tighter, I'd suggest ditching dungeons altogether (maybe futzing up some Shutter combos to keep the kids happy), in the same way we've already ditched template screens. That'd go a long way towards simplifiying Zquest.

-C
    Aren't you forgetting something... perhaps the fact that this is still a Zelda 1 clone, not a Zelda 3 clone?

I know you love Zelda 3-style quests and have little nice to say about Zelda 1-style quests, but the fact is many of us still enjoy classic Zelda 1-style quests and do not wish to be left behind.

The Dungeon DMap type is far from obsolete. I believe you can only have one lockblock per screen (as opposed to four locked doors) and you can't quite create doors that work the same way as the doors we've been using since 1.84 yet.

P.S. This is directed at everybody... the thing with using LttP and/or Link's Awakening tiles for quests... it's over! It's nothing special anymore! Time to find a new game to bastardize!
    My ZQuest Tutorial -- Official Third Quest Page

(I know the pages aren't displaying properly. I don't know how to fix it. Do you?)

My ZC Quests: Conquest of Sarpadia -- Sarpadia Enhanced Soundtrack -- Son of the Beach Fun Quest

Philadelphia Phillies: 2008 World Series Champions!
    2009 record: 27-20 :)

AGN Superlatives: Zelda Classic Guru

2001 AGN Awards: Best Overall Original Creator, "Nintendo" Award

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.75%
    Yea, I realize there are still some things that Dungeon Dmaps can do that Cave Dmaps cannot- but I dont see how, from a design perspective, it's imperative to be able to place four locked doors in a room. From my standpoint, now that we have lock blocks, the reasons for using a cave dmap (especially those regarding Continue Points) already have vastly overtaken the reasons for using a dungeon dmap in any new quest.

That being said, you're right when you point out that Zquest should always be able to emulate Z1, so I guess I was a bit hasty in suggesting that dungeon dmaps be removed entirely- we still need support for older quests.

And as far as a Z3 bias over Z1... well, yes, I admit that I'd rather the engine allowed the designer the increased freedom and options of a Z3 style game; though honestly, I think ZeldaClassic is ALREADY capable of far more than the Z3 engine ever was. The fanatical devotion to cloning Z1 shown by some people around here strikes me as odd, but its not something anyone has a problem with. Hey, it's a classic. My preference for Cave over Dungeon dmaps has everything to do with ease of design and nothing to do with some sort of bias against Z1.

I will say this, though- revamping Levels made during the cave/dungeon dmap swapping days is going to be a huge headache for anyone who might possibly attempt it...

-C

Re PS : Eh? I dunno about you Alpha, but I'd rather see someone make a quest with LttP or LA tiles than with Classic tiles. I'd even RATHER see custom tilesets, but hey...

And when the hell are we going to get a B-Dawg around here to fix the gap I created?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    58.63%
    Originally posted by C-Dawg
    Re PS : Eh? I dunno about you Alpha, but I'd rather see someone make a quest with LttP or LA tiles than with Classic tiles. I'd even RATHER see custom tilesets, but hey...
    I'm not suggesting we all go back to using exclusively Classic tiles... at times I find them dull myself. However I won't think any less of a quest because it uses Classic tiles. Nor will I think any less of a quest because "all of the rooms are rectangular."

I'd like to see some more custom tilesets as well... either that or tilesets from games other than LttP or LA. Using those tiles is nothing special anymore. Take a look throughout the ZC forums and see how many members have screenshots of these cookie-cutter quests in their signatures.

One game I'd like to see a tileset based on is Dragon Warrior. Nightmare used a few DW tiles in James Quest 1 and 2, but I'd like to see an extensive DW tileset. Maybe I'll try after I finish Sarpadia (which should be shortly).
    My ZQuest Tutorial -- Official Third Quest Page

(I know the pages aren't displaying properly. I don't know how to fix it. Do you?)

My ZC Quests: Conquest of Sarpadia -- Sarpadia Enhanced Soundtrack -- Son of the Beach Fun Quest

Philadelphia Phillies: 2008 World Series Champions!
    2009 record: 27-20 :)

AGN Superlatives: Zelda Classic Guru

2001 AGN Awards: Best Overall Original Creator, "Nintendo" Award

Thread Information