User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The latest in the battle of MP3...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30%
    lol thats the way you gotta do it these days

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.97%
    Originally posted by Mak-X
    Huh...? Where did it say mp3s were becoming proprietary?
    It didn't say that specifically in the article, but that's what they're trying to do. Basically making it cost money to develop and use encoders and all this other garbage. It's not worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30.64%
    I thought they were trying to allow music distribution through pay services and encode music so it can't be copied, not charge a price for the mp3 format itself. Does some company own the mp3 format btw?

Oh do you mean like its becoming more restricted of what you can rip from CDs and this new format your talking about won't be prevented?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.26%
    Achievements It's over 9000!
    I thought they were trying to allow music distribution through pay services and encode music so it can't be copied, not charge a price for the mp3 format itself. Does some company own the mp3 format btw?
    Yes they do. Its some partnership between a research lab in Germany and a media company in France, who virtually owns the copyright to the mp3 compression standard. Essentially, they charge hefty licensing fees to any company that wants to legally build mp3 encoders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30.64%
    Oh okay. Sorry, you guys are right. I remember hearing stuff before about people not wanting to use mp3s because of the cost of liscensing and a new format would be free.

How does that work though? Say I used a program to put my music for my game into the mp3 format. Has the company that made the program paid for the fees and the license to make mp3s, or would I have to pay royalties to sell my game that contains mp3s for music?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.26%
    Oh okay. Sorry, you guys are right. I remember hearing stuff before about people not wanting to use mp3s because of the cost of liscensing and a new format would be free.

How does that work though? Say I used a program to put my music for my game into the mp3 format. Has the company that made the program paid for the fees and the license to make mp3s, or would I have to pay royalties to sell my game that contains mp3s for music?
    From what I get, its up to the makers of the encoder to pay for the licensing. If you happen to make your Mp3s on an unlicensed encoder, thats the problem of the makers of the encoder and the Mp3 copyright owners, not yourself. The copyright is capitalized on by not in making people pay for commercial use of Mp3 encoded sound streams, but in making people pay to make encoders for Mp3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.72%
    Blinks.

So this MP3 format is owned by a company in France, and the U.S. music industry is trying to shut down MP3s? Laughs. More than ever, I doubt it'll ever happen.

Cyclone
    -----
    "This generation will run the country someday, unfortunately. Maybe we will get lucky and they will all stay bums." - Starkist
    -----
    Meh... sleep is for the weak. [goes back to sleep] - inori :rofl:
    -----
    You have a lot of people quoted in your sig. But not me. Thank you. - Tygore
    -----
    I got a brother who knows about this place... he can pass on the message if something ever happened to me. Then you'll all know when to rejoice. - Daarkseid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    91.58%
    watch what you say ... the RIAA has eyes everywhere...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.65%
    haha. Ya right. MP3 is anyone's property now. And anything else they make, reverse engineering. People have tried so many things to like "control" what happens. But they can't. :p Game developers have had very advanced protection/encryption to keep their games from being copied or pirated. And, does it last? for awhile maybe. But look at the infamous CPS2 encryption. It's been bypassed. So anyways, didn't they make like, a "new" mp3 format that had 2 different tracks and older players would only play one, and it was more compressed? I heard about that once,and I'm pretty sure it failed.MP3s were ripped away and can be used by anyone however they want now. Any "rights" to it now don't mean jack shit now. :p

Thread Information