0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    50.59%
    Linux takes about 2 minutes to boot up for me on my POS celeron. And I've run it succesfully on a 400mhz K6-2 with 96 megs of ram and a 2meg vid card, and it ran at a usable speed(even with KDE).

But on a 200mhz or slower processor, you had better not try to run KDE or Gnome! Those things hog resources on slower machines. IceWM, Blackbox, twm, ROX, FVWM, and some others are much more suited for that speed computer.

Linux will run nicely on Atma's pathetic computer. He just shouldn't try to use KDE or Gnome on it. And investing in a better vid card wouldn't hurt. And try to get a distro that works well on older hardware(since Mandrake is not meant to be used on machines like that, it has fairly hefty system requirements, and it will struggle and appear to freeze on machines that slow); like Peanut Linux. or Slackware. Or if these fail you try FreeBSD(not technically Linux, but runs Linux code very nicely, and is very similar to Linux and will run in 5megs of ram for text mode and 16 for graphics).

And if games are your main reason for using Windows, then check out WineX.
    And you can even use Windows browser plugins in Linux(may not work in FreeBSD) with Crossover Plugin.

Damn I should write up a document that lists the alternatives to prprietary software, both or Windows and Linux based solutions.
    "The minority, the ruling class at present, has the schools and press, usually the Church as well, under its thumb. This enables it to organize and sway the emotions of the masses, and make its tool of them."
    -Albert Einstein

My Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.67%
    Well you know how much time it takes for me to boot up! .............. Well jeez, I don't know. I don't remember when I last had to restart. :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.01%
    Well, if you like Linux, use linux. If you don't like it, don't use it.
    He that is blind to the world around him, shall see no Evil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.54%
    OK, hopefully the last reply.

Skatche: Sorry for not clarifying. I'm running XP on my new, powerful computer. I never ran Linux on it, so I figure it's not fair to include it in the comparisons. I haven't installed Linux on it for testing for a few reasons: 1) It's the family computer, I erased my HD accidentally the first time I tried to install it on my pitiful computer. Dad would kill me if I erased his HD. 2) I have yet to find a Linux distribution that is compatible with my DSL modem. Heck, I had to use a workaround to get it to work with WinXP. Thank you, BellSouth.

AlexMax:*Ahem* WindowsXP has NO 16-bit kernel, meaning it DOESN'T have the 286 code laying around. That's why there's a sucky Hardware Compatibility List and a lot of software is totally incompatible with XP. If I'm not mistaken, XP is a mutation of NT (I could be wrong), and NT has never had the problems of the 9x and ME windows.

Ibis: nuff said. I agree fully.

My experience with Linux was supposed to be a fun little experiment, but I apparently chose the wrong distribution and I spent more time just waiting for the bastard to start up than figuring out how to use it. I'm getting a laptop soon, and I'll probably try to dual-boot it, when that time comes I'll post my hardware and ask advice for what distribution I should get. :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    50.59%
    About 16bit code in Windows, there is plenty of old 16 bit code lying around in Windows XP, you just don't see it often. Alot of it is never used, and some more of it is hidden deep within the system processes. When I used XP I actually got a few 16bit error messages, sure surprised me! And yes XP is NT.
    Here is a neat little factoid about XP: XP is based on Win2k which is based on NT4 which was based on NT3.51 which was based on NT3.1 which was based on OS/2 which was based on DOS.
    "The minority, the ruling class at present, has the schools and press, usually the Church as well, under its thumb. This enables it to organize and sway the emotions of the masses, and make its tool of them."
    -Albert Einstein

My Blog

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.56%
    Personally I use Slackware for a distribution . I've heard that some of the more popular ones (Mandrake, RedHat) require 2 ISOs, and I don't have that kind of time (it takes 4 hours to download ONE).

My main system (which dual-boots Win98 and Linux) is as follows :
    Celeron 400MHz
    256MB RAM (after a couple upgrades, originally had 96)
    Voodoo 3 (recognized as 2D, but not its 3D capabilities)
    SB Live MP3+
    Netgear FA311 network adapter
    Promise Ultra ATA/100 IDE controller (there's a reason I mentioned this component )

I've found that the latest Linux kernel (which was 2.4.18 at my last check) supports ALL of these devices. The one that came installed with the system (2.2.1.7) lacked support (even loadable module support) for the Netgear and Promise devices (and I couldn't figure out how to get the V3 to load its module).

Handiest thing to do with your kernel BTW, when configuring it before compiling, only select drivers for devices that exist in your system, and leave all the others completely out. It might be a good idea to turn the experimental services off (except NTFS support if you need that, just DON'T turn on the write option). For devices that you may add or remove at whim (gameport/USB/FireWire) have loadable module support for them. I've found this to work best :). You'll have to compile all the modules on your own, but if you can figure out how, it's pretty easy .
    A taxi driver man is what I want to be
    But there are no customers who want to drive with me
    I don't know why, could be I'm almost blind

Thread Information