User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Elements of a Good Quest

GeepaMoogle

Talking

A good quest should bne started by identifying its purpose. One quest might be pure action and not rely at all on puzzles and mystic clues. Another might have a little action but lots of puzzlers. I myself prefer a mix. It may be a cool idea to compile a list of some of the better ideas into a "zoo" quest (one in which you can explore how certain concepts function, but with no real goal). Originality is perhaps the biggest key to a good quest, not that you aren't using some ideas from other people necessarily, but that it isn't identical to what's been done. Apply old traps and puzzles in new situations, creat new ways of combining elements, or storyline concepts. And difficulty is also key. This is also connected to the type and purpose of the quest. Is it for newbies to Zelda? Or do you want it to be an ultimate challenge? That's my random rant for the day.

------------------
    Procrastinor's Signature-to be filled in later...

I shall exalt myself over all Armagedddon Games bigjoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.81%
    I invented triple posting. Ah , the memories. I was so big headed and full of it back then =B

Anyhow , (on the topic) I would like to remind quest makers of what a quest consists of. These days , people think its all graphics and no gameplay. Sure , a few more people will pay attention to your quest, if graphics are the main focus. However, if they are an avid player and not just a zombie who likes to say "ooo , look at the purdy colers", they might find it to be repetitive and boring later on. With this in mind , I urge you all to pay attention to gameplay. A person who can use the original enemies to the best of their power accomplishes a lot more than someone who copies screen after screen of graphics and layers them over enemies just to make a (albeit glitchy) custom boss. Not to dis people or anything.

But gameplay is KEY. Linearity DESTROYS games. Make a place to explore, a cave to fall into, that little heart container peice that is very hard to find,and anything that comes to your mind. Dont just throw a whole bunch of colors on the screen and expect to create a masterpeice simply based on that. Don't pioneer the engine, leave that to DN Pioneer the Gameplay

Peacefully and respectfully,

Daniel...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    3.87%
    Excellently put,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    61.53%
    Shame you had to revive a 2-year old topic for it, though.
    - ZeldaLord

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.9%
    Its his topic, he can do what he wants...

Good deal BJ...hehe...BJ...

I'll keep that in mind this time around. Maybe I should...hmm...
    I could be the happiest man alive if it weren't for this damn depression.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    38.06%
    [whine]Couldn't you just post a new topic?[/whine]

Cyclone
    -----
    "This generation will run the country someday, unfortunately. Maybe we will get lucky and they will all stay bums." - Starkist
    -----
    Meh... sleep is for the weak. [goes back to sleep] - inori :rofl:
    -----
    You have a lot of people quoted in your sig. But not me. Thank you. - Tygore
    -----
    I got a brother who knows about this place... he can pass on the message if something ever happened to me. Then you'll all know when to rejoice. - Daarkseid

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.19%
    Wow, that's an old post of mine up there, from only 12 days after I registered! Crazy man.

Anyway, my ideas for a good quest remain the same. I'd also like to add:

-No crazy monster setups in rooms: make rooms that can be defeated by the average or above average player
    -Surprises, dead-ends, and puzzles. These really add to the dungeons and make you look back and say "Damn that was cool, I would have never though of doing that"

These ideas of course are all from the old ZC, and the limits you had imposed on you with the "original" engine. The new ZQuest allows so much more, but most of the things I say still apply.

Thread Information